The Student Room Group

Intensive driving courses

Looking to get one of these done in the next 6-8 weeks, anyone have any previous experience?

I have taken lessons previously, but this is going back a few years. An hour or two on a weekend (can't do weekdays because of work) is going to do absolutely nothing for me. As money isn't an issue I just want to pay up and get it over and done with, it's embarrassing not being able to drive when you're 24!
I'm interested in this too actually. General prices I'm finding are about £800-850 for 25 hours of intensive lessons in a 5 day period. From what I gather, they'll provide lunch too when taking breaks and they'll do lessons right up to the moment of taking the exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Same exact thing. I turned 24 and wondering where the time went... I should have done this when I was 17-18. Insane.
Semi-intensive is the best way to go, 30-odd hours of lessons is WAY too much to squeeze into a week. Did you mean you plan on starting it at some point in the next 6-8 weeks or you want to do 6-8 weeks of lessons? I think the latter option is very sensible tbh. I did all my lessons in 4 weeks and picked it all up just fine.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Semi-intensive is the best way to go, 30-odd hours of lessons is WAY too much to squeeze into a week. Did you mean you plan on starting it at some point in the next 6-8 weeks or you want to do 6-8 weeks of lessons? I think the latter option is very sensible tbh. I did all my lessons in 4 weeks and picked it all up just fine.

Yeh spread it out over 2-3 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Yeh spread it out over 2-3 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, 2-3 hours at a time is about the sensible limit, much more than that and fatigue starts setting in and you're not really learning at that point. So depends how many 2-3 hour sessions you can squeeze in and it's recommended to do at least 40 hours of driving before your test. Some of us need less, of course.
Well, 2-3 hours at a time is about the sensible limit, much more than that and fatigue starts setting in and you're not really learning at that point. So depends how many 2-3 hour sessions you can squeeze in and it's recommended to do at least 40 hours of driving before your test. Some of us need less, of course.

40 hours is a lot. Most people I know pass having done 20-25 hours
Original post by Major Zero
40 hours is a lot. Most people I know pass having done 20-25 hours

Yeah I booked and did 30 in total, just parrotting the "recommended" figure for simplicity :wink:
Yeah I booked and did 30 in total, just parrotting the "recommended" figure for simplicity :wink:

Recommended by whom?
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Recommended by whom?

I read it on a DSA page a while ago which I can't find now, I found the DSA averages from a few years ago though which was the basis for the recommendation when I read it.

http://www.drivejohnsons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/how-many-lessons-table.png
I suspect that this isn't a recommendation per se. Looks like the results of a survey. But I may be wrong!

Quick Reply