Look DoNot Touch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! I'm Kyle and I'm currently in Year 11, ahead of my GCSE exams which start in May. My decision to start this blog was mainly based on motivation techniques, so that I can try and motivate myself to revise (and hopeful receive some motivation from you guys too!)

The subjects I am taking at GCSE are;
  1. English Literature - AQA
  2. Mathematics (Higher) - Edexcel
  3. Biology - AQA
  4. Chemistry - AQA
  5. Physics - AQA
  6. Philosophy and Ethics (RE) - OCR
  7. History - OCR
  8. Spanish - Edexcel
As well as these I am also studying BTEC ICT and BTEC PE, but I have already done the exams for both of these subjects. My coursework part of my Spanish GCSE is at A grade.

I have already taken and achieved these GCSE grades;
  1. English Language - A
  2. Business Studies (BTEC) - Distinction
  3. Use of Maths - B
  4. Statistics - B
  5. Media - C

Overall, in my upcoming exams I aim to get all A/A*'s because those are my predicted grades (except in Maths, which is a B). I admit that in my mocks in November I did not apply myself as much as I hoped I would have and did not achieve what I would have liked to, below are listed my Mock Results and my latest Working At Grade respectively.
  1. English Literature - C, C
  2. History - D, B
  3. Mathematics - C,C
  4. Philosophy and Ethics - B, B
  5. Biology - C, C
  6. Chemistry - C,C
  7. Physics - C, B
  8. Spanish - C, C
  9. BTEC PE - N/A, Merit
  10. BTEC ICT - N/A, Distinction*
I have started light revision with the intention to intensify the revision over this weekend forthcoming, and I really hope to stick to the revision.

Thanks for reading, I'll probably post here a couple of times a week, but I do think posts may be kind of sporadic because I may have news over these next months!
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
Good luck! What are you hoping to do after GCSEs?
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Black Rose)
Good luck! What are you hoping to do after GCSEs?
Hey, thanks! After GCSEs I'm hoping to move to Sixth Form College near me, oppose to going to my current school's one. I'm hoping to study English Language and Literature, History, Philosophy, and Business whilst I'm there!

I do also wish to go to University!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
[96 days until first GCSE exam]
Hey guys! Today I went to school, the subjects I had were:
  1. Chemistry
  2. BTEC PE
  3. History
  4. Philosophy and Ethics
  5. Maths
I got the results from my latest tests back from Philosophy and Ethics (B), and Maths (B). I'm happy with my Maths results, not so much my Philosophy and Ethics results. Usually I get low C's in Maths, but this time I was just 3 marks off of an A. Usually I get A's in Philosophy and Ethics and getting this B, really quite annoyed me. However tonight I will do some Philosophy and Ethics and Maths revision. I'll update you guys on what I revised later tonight!

Happy Pancake Day!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
[96 days until first GCSE exam]
Hey! In regards to my revision tonight, I read through a Unit of my Philosophy and Ethics and wrote some revision cards, hopefully I'll finish them tomorrow! In terms of Maths, I looked through the test I got back today and verified what areas I need to revise.

Tomorrow I have:
  1. PE
  2. Spanish
  3. English
  4. Biology
  5. ICT
In terms of the upcoming half term, I don't think I will get in as much revision as I hoped. On Saturday I am decorating my room, Sunday I am attending the Chinese New Year celebrations in London, Wednesday I have my Sixth Form interview, and on the weekend before we go back to school I have a tour of Wembley! I'm gonna be busy!

I'll hopefully update with you tomorrow after school!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
[95 days until first GCSE exam]
Hey guys!
Tonight I did a Unit 1 Chemistry paper, and I'm about to create revision cards for Philosophy and Ethics Unit 2. I just thought I'd update you on what lessons I have tomorrow! The lessons I have tomorrow are:
  1. English
  2. History
  3. Chemistry
  4. Spanish
  5. Maths
I don't really have any news from anything today, besides the fact I got back my Biology paper I did for homework, which I achieved an A* in! Anyway, I'm going to do my notes on Unit 2 Philosophy and Ethics and then go to bed! I'll update you guys tomorrow! See ya!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey! I marked my Chemistry paper (which was for homework) in the lesson, I got an A*! Besides that nothing exciting really happened today. Tomorrow I have these lessons:
  1. Physics
  2. ICT
  3. Maths
  4. Spanish
  5. Philosophy and Ethics
I also have an interview with my principal tomorrow to discuss my achievement in subjects and what I plan to do for post-GCSE (she's going to love it when I say I'm leaving her school).

As soon as I have finished this blog post I am going to finish Unit 2 notes for Philosophy and Ethics, and perhaps look through (and make notes on) the Treaty of Versailles for History.

See ya guys tomorrow!
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Look DoNot Touch)
Hey, thanks! After GCSEs I'm hoping to move to Sixth Form College near me, oppose to going to my current school's one. I'm hoping to study English Language and Literature, History, Philosophy, and Business whilst I'm there!

I do also wish to go to University!
Have you got any plans for uni yet?

Looks like the blog is going well! :yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Have you got any plans for uni yet?

Looks like the blog is going well! :yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
In regards to Uni, I know I want to go, and I know I want to study English, or Publishing! I've ordered around 30 prospectuses (I went a bit crazy a little while back) and I'm in the process of narrowing down the universities!

Thanks!
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Look DoNot Touch)
Hey!
In regards to Uni, I know I want to go, and I know I want to study English, or Publishing! I've ordered around 30 prospectuses (I went a bit crazy a little while back) and I'm in the process of narrowing down the universities!

Thanks!
You've started looking at university prospectuses already :eek:
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
You've started looking at university prospectuses already :eek:
Yeah! In hindsight I may be trying to plan a bit too far ahead, but at least I'm going to have less Uni hunting later down the line!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey guys!

I'm going to be honest, this weekend I have done no revision. But I'm okay with it. Saturday I was wallpapering my room all day, and yesterday I went to London to partake in the Chinese New Year celebrations. I'm okay with having not done revision, because yesterday felt amazing. I managed to let go of my stress and have fun with my family, my cousin and my second cousin. We walked around London, I bought a book from Waterstones Trafalgar, and we finished off the day with a Chinese take out at my Aunt's house.

On Wednesday I have my Sixth Form interview, so I'm praying that will go well. If you don't know at Sixth Form I wish to study: English Language and Literature, History, Philosophy, and Business. On Saturday I have a stadium tour at Wembley. I also am likely to go somewhere with my friends this week, but nothing is confirmed. Today, I'm going to do some of the homework I got from school, and maybe do some more revision. I guess I'll see what happens today.

I'll update you guys later tonight on what I have done today, see you later!
KyleBroflovski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Kyle, kyle here. Don't stress out over GCSEs all you gotta do is practice doing exam questions for each subject, like a lot. The content in GCSE subjects is quite simple, the only thing that makes GCSEs difficult is the amount of subjects you have. It's great you're recording your progress, start doing that with past papers and exam questions for each subject. Also, don't worry about mock results, especially in GCSEs, last year I got mock results of DDEG in my AS exams but got BBBA in the finals just a month later
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
(Original post by KyleBroflovski)
Hey Kyle, kyle here. Don't stress out over GCSEs all you gotta do is practice doing exam questions for each subject, like a lot. The content in GCSE subjects is quite simple, the only thing that makes GCSEs difficult is the amount of subjects you have. It's great you're recording your progress, start doing that with past papers and exam questions for each subject. Also, don't worry about mock results, especially in GCSEs, last year I got mock results of DDEG in my AS exams but got BBBA in the finals just a month later
Hey Kyle! Thanks for leaving a reply giving me a few suggestions, means a lot! I have been doing past papers and the such, not really off of my own back as homework though. I'll be sure to print a few off today or tomorrow and see how they work out for me, actually attempting them.

I've heard a lot of teachers say the mocks aren't an accurate representation, because we still have a lot of stuff to learn before the exam, it's nice to hear it from someone else!

Once again, thanks for your comment and words of encouragement! xD
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey!

Sorry I didn't update you guys as promised the yesterday. I don't really have an excuse other than I was really tired after going and playing badminton in the evening.

Yesterday I did some of my homework, namely Philosophy and Ethics. From this subject I got 2 booklets; one on Good and Evil, the other on Abortion. After a parents evening the other week, I was told by my Philosophy and Ethics teacher that I condense the information I include in my answers too much and thus need to work on that, I am trying to do that in these booklets. I feel extremely confident on abortion laws, Christian attitudes towards abortion, and pro-life/pro-choice attitudes. In regards to Good and Evil, I feel fairly confident on most of the booklet, I need to brush up on debatable evil, biblical teachings/parables, and the whole deal with Satan and God. Apart from that, I did a few more revision cards on the Unit: 'End of Life'. For Maths we were given a large booklet with lots of different topics to do questions on. I have been instructed to finish six of said topics for homework, I began with Standard Form. My intent is to work my way through the booklet in page order.

Today, I didn't really do any revision of any sort. I don't feel too well as of late, so I spent much of the day reading, watching TV shows, and drawing (not to mention surfing sites like TSR!). Tomorrow I don't see myself doing too much revision because of my interview, and the fact I will be going to get my glasses from the opticians (I broke mine and the replacement pair I ordered are here!).

Tomorrow my interview for Sixth Form is at 3pm. I have got a black display folder with all the relevant information I need. In it I have:
  • Summer 2015 Statement of Results
  • BTEC Business Certificate
  • GCSE Statistics Certificate
  • GCSE Use of Mathematics Certificate
  • GCSE Free Standing Mathematics Qualifications (Data Handling and Financial Calculations) Certificate
  • GCSE Media Studies Certificate
  • Pre-Public Examination (December) Results
  • BTEC Business Statement of Results (Overall)
  • BTEC ICT Statement of Results (Exam)
  • BTEC PE Statement of Results (Exam)
  • My latest School report
  • Highest Achiever in PE Certificate
Speaking of my latest report, my grades all improved from last time, they still aren't the best. But I have time and I'm going to use it do the best I can! My latest school report says my WAG grades are:
  • English Literature - B
  • History - C
  • Maths - B
  • Philosophy and Ethics - B
  • Biology - B
  • Chemistry - C
  • Physics - B
  • Spanish - C
  • BTEC ICT - D*
  • BTEC PE - Di
I'm actually really pleased with my Maths results, I believe I can achieve a B in Maths, which is what I need to study Business at A-Level!

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, see you guys tomorrow, I'll update you on how the interview goes!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hello everyone!

I haven't done any revision today. I had my Sixth Form interview and I'm delighted to say I've been offered a conditional place! The interview went a whole lot better than I thought it would, we just went through my subject choices, a little bit about me, and I was ran through the process up to September.

Thanks for reading, I'll update you when I have something to update on!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey everyone!

Sorry that I haven't updated you guys in a while, nothing much really happened in the way of studies in the last few days; until yesterday... The dreaded first day back after a half-term. Yesterday I had:
  1. Philosophy and Ethics
  2. Mathematics
  3. ICT
  4. History
  5. English
In Philosophy and Ethics, I recapped upon End of Life. In Maths we worked on transformation graphs, which I found simple enough, but I'll need to work on remembering them all. ICT saw me continue on with my coursework, I also found out I have 5 weeks to finish ALL my coursework for ALL of the subjects I take. In History I did some research on women in British society, I was also given permission to take a textbook home, so I'll be using that to build upon my notes for International Relations. I also did part of a poetry booklet in English last lesson.

Today, I had Science intervention in the morning. In this session we went over some of Unit 1 Biology, I have some rough notes from that which I am going to write up neatly this evening. The lessons I had to today where:
  1. Chemistry
  2. PE
  3. History
  4. Philosophy and Ethics
  5. Mathematics
Tonight I am going to finish off some homework I have, organize my desk and notes, and write up my notes on Unit 1 Biology. Tomorrow I have:
  1. PE
  2. Spanish
  3. English
  4. Biology
  5. ICT
I'll see you guys!

PS: I am not doing as well as I would like to be in English Literature, in regards to the Poetry section. I am on AQA, and if anyone has any resources they could link me to or any tips on how to answer the poetry section, it would be very much appreciated!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey guys!

I apologise, over the past week I've somewhat neglected this blog. That's because I've been rather busy, with a lot of stuff. I've had lots of homework for different subjects, and this weekend I spent all of it shopping -literally- (Saturday all day food shopping and Sunday all day in IKEA (I got a new chest of drawers and a new chair (not to mention I just ordered a load of new bookshelves for my room!))).

Today, I was supposed to have Physics intervention during registration, but my Principal saw it fit to pull me out of that and go to a Year 11 assembly. I was told that a guest speaker is coming in to talk to my year about revision techniques etc, and that I have to go to a certain amount of intervention sessions to qualify to leave early (oppose to the same time as the rest of the school). I also bought the CGP guides for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I also had an orthodontist appointment, so missed 15 minutes or so of ICT and History. Today I had:
  1. Philosophy and Ethics - Focused on Crime and Punishment
  2. Mathematics - Focused on Trigonometry and Pythagoras' Theorem
  3. ICT - Coursework
  4. History - Focused on Feminism in Britain 1960s-70s
  5. English - Focused on Poetry
Tomorrow I have:
  1. Chemistry
  2. PE
  3. History
  4. Philosophy and Ethics
  5. Mathematics
I'll update you guys on stuff tomorrow! I start my second round of mocks this Thursday.
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hey! Today I had an entire day (5 hours) of mocks. My hand kills from them!I had Physics: P1, P2, and P3 (I found P1 easiest, P2 hardest...) and Philosophy and Ethics (despite my teacher telling me we were doing ethics, we did philosophy, but it is okay, I am confident I did alright at least!).

Yesterday, the guest speaker I mentioned previously came in. He was a lot better than I thought he would be, and I feel like I kinda learnt something. He taught us like 10 ways to revise, and showed us how our brain remembers stuff we don't think we do. The ten methods he told us if anyone is interested are:
  1. Past exam papers
  2. Revision of flash cards
  3. Spider diagrams
  4. Revision guides
  5. Read aloud and walk around
  6. Make up rhymes/raps/chants/songs/stories
  7. Key notes on phone
  8. Posters and post-its
  9. Explain to someone else who has no idea what it is
  10. Write it out again, again, again... and again
Tomorrow I have one of my Maths mocks, and one of my History mocks (British Depth Study). Because of these I will only be in 10 or so minutes of ICT, maybe Spanish (depending on how the time of the day goes), and Philosophy and Ethics.

Tonight I am doing preparation for my History and Maths mocks, with more of a focus on History because I don't know if my Maths mock is calculator or not.Update you soon!
Look DoNot Touch
Rep:
?
Hello everyone!

Friday saw the last of my mocks -Spanish- so now it's just the lead up to the real things! I got the results of my Maths mocks back in class on Friday (my Maths teacher is a fast marker damn), and I got a B! I'm really pleased with that because it is my Target Grade, of course though I would love to bump that up to an A! Could anyone suggest any ideas on how to revise for Maths besides doing past exam papers or questions, or is it just one of those subjects? Thanks!

This is just a short update, I'll be showing you guys my study plan at some point this week! I'll be taking a break on Tuesday, because on Tuesday is my birthday!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads