Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National 5 Subject Choices? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I would go for the one you enjoy most as I don't think either is any more helpful than the other for getting into medicine. Both are good qualifications to have and are well respected, Modern Studies might be better in terms of essay writing than Business Management, however I can't say from experience as I didn't take it. I did take N5 Business however and it is quite a long course that is simply memorising notes out of a textbook,you need to write a lot for the marks you get as well, although the course assignment is completely open book and can be an easy 30% to grab if you do it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    I would go for the one you enjoy most as I don't think either is any more helpful than the other for getting into medicine. Both are good qualifications to have and are well respected, Modern Studies might be better in terms of essay writing than Business Management, however I can't say from experience as I didn't take it. I did take N5 Business however and it is quite a long course that is simply memorising notes out of a textbook,you need to write a lot for the marks you get as well, although the course assignment is completely open book and can be an easy 30% to grab if you do it right.
    Hi, hope you don't mind me asking - but overall how did you find N5 business? And how hard/easy did you find it to revise and then going on to do exams?

ReputationRep:
    Modern studies I think would be very useful, but only if you're good at history or English because it involves a lot of essays!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ii220)
    Hi, hope you don't mind me asking - but overall how did you find N5 business? And how hard/easy did you find it to revise and then going on to do exams?
    N5 Business was ok, it was quite dull in my opinion, I found it fairly easy to revise for because you are literally just memorising notes, you are hard pressed for time in the final exam. I got either a high C/low B in the prelim, was then predicted a C and ended up with an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfegirl98)
    Modern studies I think would be very useful, but only if you're good at history or English because it involves a lot of essays!
    National 5 modern studies requires no essays. As far as i know, the only nat 5 subject with essays is english.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since you're doing no social subjects, you probably are best do do modern studies. But it's really up to you i suppose 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely pick modern studies

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.