Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like I did the wrong course. Help what do I do now? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a 22 year old guy in my final 3rd year of uni. I'm an international student too.

I'm studying Animation. Anyways, I'm starting to think that this really isn't my thing. The idea of animation is interesting to me (and its something I did a lot as a hobby as a kid), but I get depressed knowing that a career in animation involves staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day.

I'm not even that good at it. I have seen works from other animators and it looks so impressive and miles ahead of my work. And in this field, you have to be amazing at the art to succeed. My drawing skills suck (and people say drawing skills are the basis of being a good animator even a 3D one)

The only two things I am good at in life are writing (narratives, descriptive pieces, etc.) and music (I play guitar and like composing my own songs)

I want to go outside, and enjoy life. I want a career which is mentally stimulating as well as involving physical activity and social interaction. (I don't know perhaps journalism or something) Lately I've considered doing MBA.

I feel like I have completely screwed myself for doing this course and my career future is now forever screwed.

HELP! Any advice would be appreciated as to where I should head from here.

Can I re-do my education? I want to go into a different field. I also have pretty high ambitions: I want to make a lot of money and live abroad

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at something like copywriting, or perhaps marketing communications? The latter could bring in elements of graphic design, if you are happy to use photoshop etc.

However, you will have to show recruiters that you do have the transferable skills that will allow you to go into a writing focused career - for instance, did your degree contain many essays, did you write for the student newspaper etc.?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.