Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job interview/ offer assistance Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, bit of a strange situation here and would appreciate some advice/assistance.

So I had a 2nd stage interview yesterday which by my standards was a train wreck (I was/am suffering from the flu) however they were really impressed to the point where my interviewer joked "I wish I was as good as him in interviews". I was due to have another 2nd stage interview however I tried to postpone and this is up in the air.

So The 1st employer got back to my recruiter and said they wanted to offer me the job however there was/is an issue with the salary. For some reason I was posted forwards at 7.5% lower than my asking rate despite at 1st interview stage salary expectations being asked about and relayed clearly. The company also has a bonus scheme which is more often than not reached(75% of time) and should I hit my personal targets I would receive 2/3% more than my actual salary demand.So this is something that the recruiter was trying to sell to me.

I haven't actually recieved an offer though. They claimed that they were going to get something to me today as I was due to have the other 2nd interview. They have now said Tuesday in line with when I was supposed to interview with the other place however I haven't had confirmation of another interview with them and there is a chance they may not want to interview me given the short notice I gave.

I know for a fact the 1st employer is stalling to try and lowball me where possible however I feel my expectations are fair. The position does ask for a degree which I don't have and I'm not plentiful in terms of experience in years however what is clear is that I have picked up a lot in my short career and that's why a degree wasn't even relavent. I know that if I get an offer from the other employer, the 1st would match it yet it's frustrating that they are playing this game given that I never posted myself and wouldn't have interviewed at that range. I appreicate the bonus takes me over but surely a bonus should be a reward for good work rather than something to merely reach salary expectation.

How do you guys think I should combat this situation?

Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The organisations don't just have to think about your salary expectations, they have to think about other employees and where you salary compared with theirs.

It can be horrendous bringing in someone on a higher salary if other members of staff who have more experience will be on a lower one.

Rather than trying to second guess everything why not wait until 1) you have the paperwork on Tuesday and 2) you have your other interview.

You could easily be in a position where you don't get the other job and the first is unwilling to increase their offer despite you thinking they will.

You say they are playing a game, but you are too. Sounds like you will be trying to play one off against the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The organisations don't just have to think about your salary expectations, they have to think about other employees and where you salary compared with theirs.

It can be horrendous bringing in someone on a higher salary if other members of staff who have more experience will be on a lower one.

Rather than trying to second guess everything why not wait until 1) you have the paperwork on Tuesday and 2) you have your other interview.

You could easily be in a position where you don't get the other job and the first is unwilling to increase their offer despite you thinking they will.

You say they are playing a game, but you are too. Sounds like you will be trying to play one off against the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi J-SP thanks for your reply. I'll provide a bit more context. So they claim that an offer wasn't made on Friday so that I could "focus solely" on the interview with the 2nd employer which clearly is them stalling.

With regards to my expectations, they are fair, I know my worth/value and I know that finding other positions won't be too difficult (I've been asked to interview with 6 different companies), however I really like the company and the position. The salary discussed is below anything that I would have agreed to interview at. I guess my frustration is that i never gave that salary range to either the recruiter or the employer so it's like it's been plucked out of air.

I fear that my chances with the 2nd employer may have gone as the hiring manager is located abroad so finding an amicable time where all parties are present (via skype) is going to be difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousk)
    Hi J-SP thanks for your reply. I'll provide a bit more context. So they claim that an offer wasn't made on Friday so that I could "focus solely" on the interview with the 2nd employer which clearly is them stalling.

With regards to my expectations, they are fair, I know my worth/value and I know that finding other positions won't be too difficult (I've been asked to interview with 6 different companies), however I really like the company and the position. The salary discussed is below anything that I would have agreed to interview at. I guess my frustration is that i never gave that salary range to either the recruiter or the employer so it's like it's been plucked out of air.

I fear that my chances with the 2nd employer may have gone as the hiring manager is located abroad so finding an amicable time where all parties are present (via skype) is going to be difficult.
    The salary won't have been plucked out of the air - it would have been considered carefully. It sounds like you should have issue with your recruiter and not the employer for putting you forward for a role you were not interested in due to it not being in your salary range. However, it's common for recruiters to look at bonuses (and other benefits) and consider that as part of the total remuneration package and therefore it sounds reasonable for the recruiter for out your forward for this role.

Lesson learnt - next time you agree to an interview, before doing so ask explicitly what the salary is.

What you think is fair and what both the recruiter or employer is fair can be different. Obviously try and negotiate the offer if you can but they won't pay you what you expect just because you expect it. They have a lot more to think about than just you.

Have you had conversations with the employer or only the recruiter? I don't think the employer is stalling - I suspect the recruiter is. All it takes is for them to get better commission on the second rather than the first and they will want to hold off for their own interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The salary won't have been plucked out of the air - it would have been considered carefully. It sounds like you should have issue with your recruiter and not the employer for putting you forward for a role you were not interested in due to it not being in your salary range. However, it's common for recruiters to look at bonuses (and other benefits) and consider that as part of the total remuneration package and therefore it sounds reasonable for the recruiter for out your forward for this role.

Lesson learnt - next time you agree to an interview, before doing so ask explicitly what the salary is.

What you think is fair and what both the recruiter or employer is fair can be different. Obviously try and negotiate the offer if you can but they won't pay you what you expect just because you expect it. They have a lot more to think about than just you.

Have you had conversations with the employer or only the recruiter? I don't think the employer is stalling - I suspect the recruiter is. All it takes is for them to get better commission on the second rather than the first and they will want to hold off for their own interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quick update. I made it clear that I'd wasn't happy with the base salary as low as was initially offered and they agreed to meet me in the middle.Although I'm sure I could have got more, I'm very happy with the offer they sent me as it appears to be a good employer.

Thanks for your advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.