Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I going mad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  421.5 KB
    Ok, so I want to calculate the area of this rectangle. The width is sqrt(10), the length is 5. Area is 5sqrt(5). That's basic Pythagoras. But then the solution bank calculates the area of the two triangles. The area of both can be calculated by 0.5 * 5 * 3. Add them together and you get 15, a slightly smaller figure than with the other method. Wtf is going on? It's exercise 4I q3 part c of the edexcel fp1 book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpepsred)
    Ok, so I want to calculate the area of this rectangle. The width is sqrt(10), the length is 5. Area is 5sqrt(5). That's basic Pythagoras. But then the solution bank calculates the area of the two triangles. The area of both can be calculated by 0.5 * 5 * 3. Add them together and you get 15, a slightly smaller figure than with the other method. Wtf is going on? It's exercise 4I q3 part c of the edexcel fp1 book.

It is not a rectangle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    It is not a rectangle.
    It has two sets of parallel sides, so it is at least a parallelogram. And the book describes it as a rectangle.

ReputationRep:
    Check again... it's not a rectangle.

ReputationRep:
    It has two sets of parallel sides, so it is at least a parallelogram. And the book describes it as a rectangle.
    It describes it as a rectangle? Huh, you are right it has two sets of parallel sides but the adjacent sides are not perpendicular so it is a parallelogram not a rectangle.

ReputationRep:
    It describes it as a rectangle? Huh, you are right it has two sets of parallel sides but the adjacent sides are not perpendicular so it is a parallelogram not a rectangle.
    You have no idea how mad this made me. I'm just relieved that I am in fact sane, and not completely incompetent at maths.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how mad this made me. I'm just relieved that I am in fact sane, and not completely incompetent at maths.
    No I can well imagine your pain, my exam board's (MEI) textbooks are full of mistakes and I regularly end up in situations like this. Though this would be a new low even for MEI!

ReputationRep:
    No I can well imagine your pain, my exam board's (MEI) textbooks are full of mistakes and I regularly end up in situations like this. Though this would be a new low even for MEI!
    You should get your teachers to map out a list of corrections for past erroneous entries.Imagine the financial stress of building so many more mental institutions because of students going mad over math. Peace.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.