Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else plans on not having children?. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walking in sand)
    they dont have to be mutually exclusive

my gf and i plan to visit as many places as possible before we have children, then once we retire we can continue our travels
    i know who she is azizam looool
    Fair enough but its not always practical tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Fair enough but its not always practical tbh
    that's true. but it is possible, it's all about finding a balance.

ReputationRep:
    I've mixed feelings about having kids. If my wifey wants them then I’m down for that but always in the back of my mind are concerns regarding:

• The heritability of my health condition

• The state of the world/continent/country we live in (environmental, social and economic sustainability)

• The fact that if I have a daughter her life is going to be a misery/any boyfriends she has up to the age of 18 will be in grave peril

(Original post by Diabolus)
    How else are you going to live vicariously through someone else, and watch them achieve the things you never got to
    Appeals greatly, NGL

(Original post by Bea97)
    I hate the small, loud, smelly things
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    never liked children or babies
    Ditto when it comes to babies, although I wouldn’t say ‘hate’ so much as ‘find it difficult to endure’. Wife & child to be banished to the West wing! :mmm:

That said, I’ve always loved/been naturally good with kids/animals though. For whatever reason they respond to my presence/leadership so I tend to bond with them fairly effortlessly (except spoilt/molly coddled types, as I tease, challenge, and certainly don’t pander) and enjoy a ‘lead by example’ type role – it’s a great privilege/gift to be able to inspire, and play a part in the development of, young people

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..but then I would say that, as a tutor/coach, and with a professor + three teachers (inc. mother/her mother) in the family!

Life must be so boring when you can't make plans to go out without feeling guilty and arranging child care
    That’s what friends/family are for :yeah:

Also, people always say they love their children more than anything, why would I want my partner to love someone more than me?
    Hubbies generally love their wives more than their off-sprunglets, whereas the reverse is generally true of women

Also, 40% of marriages end in divorce so why would you want to put children through that?
    Over 40% in the UK now, but around two thirds are instigated by women, so I’d say the odds are stacked somewhat in your favour (provided you chose wisely/keep him on a tight leash)!

(Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    my dad said he wants grandkids
    My mutti sporadically drops hints that she’d like grandchildren/occasionally laments never having them! Would be nice for her to have them, for sure, and she’d be a fantastic grandmother :awesome:

(Original post by Inazuma)
    For one I dislike the little sprogs
    At any age? :erm:

I like my money more
    I’m sure hubbie will take care of the money regardless

my peace and quiet and that too
    ”Seen and not heard” isn’t impossible to implement :haughty:

No intention of ruining my body for them
    Plenty of mums have bods to die for fam

I'd rather focus on my career and life
    The two aren’t mutually exclusive, although granted it’s quite tricky to juggle. Flipside is, if you find success in your career then it may not be till you reach your 30’s/40’s before you’re able to put things into a holding pattern and start a family – at which point it becomes risky/arguably unethical even to attempt it

I'd rather not pass on certain genes
    You could adopt Plus I wouldn’t be surprised if some hypermobility syndromes relate significantly to environmental factors e.g. what I’ve been discovering about what’s plausibly been disrupting my own health. My sprogs won’t be exposed to the same crap I was, I’ma make sure of that!

(Original post by Profesh)
    x
    Counterargument: in the context of a global population that is set to peak within a few generations, and the need for as much scientific/capitalistic input as possible into securing (the tech/infrastructure necessary to implement and support) a low carbon economy, more affluent/well educated kids will be needed

Further: With the UN having switched emphasis from ‘mitigation’ to ‘adaptation’, and most projecting warming of 2 degrees or more whatever we (in the West) do now (never mind what China does e.g. in 30 years time), it’s a little late in the day to stop having kids; we’ll need them to help us weather the awful impact on human health, security, and well-being, in the context of environmental ~ socioeconomic disruption, as well as the global economic depression that is coming (that will decimate pension funds as well as public finances [which support welfare {which includes state pensions}])

(Original post by LaughingBro)
    There are idiots who thinks people who don't have kids as being 'selfish'; but in reality, the most selfish people are usually the ones wid lotsa kids and can't afford them!
    Not necessarily e.g. with good parenting + vastly improved equality of opportunity + in the context of a declining (indigenous) population

(Original post by Age Quod Agis)
    As a guy I've got to be careful when speaking about kids
    The world has gone mad when, as a decent, law abiding, grown man you feel you can’t even talk about children :rolleyes:

(Original post by Rakas21)
    I myself dislike babies but intend to produce at least three genetic heirs once i meet a woman that i deem worthy of producing them with
    Well, when you put it like that, how could a wench possibly not want to reproduce with thee!? :flutter:

(Original post by RomanKing)
    Having children is NOT A RIGHT
    Incorrect, as per United Nation's 1968 International Conference on Human Rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    x
    how long did it take you to write all that??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    how long did it take you to write all that??
    Not long.

Either he copied and pasted his reply from yesterday or i'm now having premonitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not long.

Either he copied and pasted his reply from yesterday or i'm now having premonitions.
    haha i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Hahaha. He turned out ok
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ok, perhaps not.. bad example :erm:
    Oh curses, I've just gone and insulted baby foo or something haven't I?!
    Rocks you say? ASBO the lot of them!
    ...Don't tempt me to try! [/quote]
    Then forget about legal practice! :mmm:
    Rest assured, I already have, it sounds like a bore
    1. It’s Father Christmas,* unless you’re a yank

2. You need to lighten up and get into the seasonal spirit famalam
    Why would I waste 10 whole characters?
    ... I dressed as a murderous rabbit last Easter, think I'm doing ok

1. I’d be surprised if, as a young female, you never wasted money on rubbish

2. Who said you had to spoil them? Apparently all they need is rocks to keep them occupied
    I waste all my parent's money, and I plan to sponge off them where possible, exactly how I know the dangers!
    But you have a good point, goat parents and rocks for friends... they'll be fine in their cave...

Ah, so M developed a conscience in the time since we last spoke? How quaint
    Hoho, not quite, simply more conscience of someone dragging me through the media again! I save my truth for when it cannot be recorded

Can be draining, NGL, but it’s worth it :horse:
    Speaking of Cutlass type swords, I'd much rather lead a band of pirates than children (the good pirates ofc)

You see, all this knowledge necessary with sprogs, too much effort for no reward!
    Ditto, depending upon the temperament/training of the beasts. An example of how animals can respond to my natural way with animals/‘leadership’:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Haha, Mr show-off, you won't convince me with adorable kitty-cat photos...
    Evil cats are the best anyway!

I dispute the premise (that we need a human replacement), more than a few kitties is overkill, and if you’re going to travel a lot then it’s potentially unethical to have dogs waiting around at home for their master (depending upon how intelligent they are)
    Did not consider this.... then again, I'd hire an animal butler. They'd serve my conglomerate of animal-children on hand and foot.

Oh, ok. I'd encourage you to read the blog post, and check out my related info page, considering your experience, in context. At first glance it appears hokum but the deeper you dig, the more you realise that this is probably the next major public health controversy
    I don't like the sounds of that... sounds very... unavoidable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    God you're a miserable bunch.

I'm never going to have kids because I'll probably never get that far with a woman, but the way some of you act is like Rodney from Only Fools and Horses.
    YOUR SAVAGERY LEVELS!!!!! :zomg::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather adopt if anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Whyyyy did they have to cancel the production of season 3

ReputationRep:
    whywhitepeoplearedyingout.txt

(Original post by poohat)
      whywhitepeoplearedyingout.txt
      Everyone does. Why are you pointing at us specifically..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Inazuma)
      Oh curses, I've just gone and insulted baby foo or something haven't I?!
      Heh, dw kid, he used that photo quite deliberately (yes, he was a suitably demonic looking infant) :devil:

Rest assured, I already have, it sounds like a bore
      Good to know, although if I recall correctly you intend to go do something arguably even more immoral! :scrooge:

Why would I waste 10 whole characters?
      To please uncle Foo :flutter:

I dressed as a murderous rabbit last Easter, think I'm doing ok
      Pics or it didn't happen

I waste all my parent's money, and I plan to sponge off them where possible, exactly how I know the dangers!
      Fair point, succinctly made

But you have a good point, goat parents and rocks for friends... they'll be fine in their cave...
      You joke but that’s probably not far off how my kids will live! Viewed a house just yesterday that is in the highest altitude village in Wales :erm:

not quite, simply more conscience of someone dragging me through the media again! I save my truth for when it cannot be recorded
      ”Again?” Spill!

Speaking of Cutlass type swords, I'd much rather lead a band of pirates than children (the good pirates ofc)
      Again, this probably won’t be too far from the truth where my rabble are concerned, NGL :pirate3:

You see, all this knowledge necessary with sprogs, too much effort for no reward!
      No reward? I’ma tell your future kids what you said, young lady! :hmmm:

Haha, Mr show-off you won't convince me with adorable kitty-cat photos...
      Won’t convince thee of what? :innocent:

Evil cats are the best anyway!
      Only to look at. Scratchy cats one can do without :dry:

Did not consider this
      You wouldn’t, you’re a law chick (do y’all even do ‘ethics’ modules these days) :mmm:

I'd hire an animal butler
      Called?

I don't like the sounds of that... sounds very... unavoidable!
      Does require thinking about, and fairly unavoidable where you’re likely to end up, aye. Probably worth checking out/trialling mitigation now, mind

Spoiler:
      Show
      Apologies in advance for any nightmares

ReputationRep:
      I don't think the UK is a good place to bring up a child - it's on a downward spiral.
      So as long as I'm here the answer will be no.

ReputationRep:
      Unlike you, and your irrationality and endogeneity. Normal people love clidren and want to have them . Normal people are are happy unlike you.
      • Very Important Poster
      • PS Reviewer
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by IBIB)
      Unlike you, and your irrationality and endogeneity. Normal people love clidren and want to have them . Normal people are are happy unlike you.
      No. Normal people don't act like judgemental dicks trying to make people feel bad for making decisions that are noone else's business.

You don't seem very happy. You seem irrationally aggressive and angry at things that are irrelevant to you.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.