coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In partc of this question, I am really unsure whether to draw a Hess cycle diagram for it or just simply use the equation to work it out. I thought if you are asked to work out the enthalpy change of combustion, you will always draw a diagram because you will only use the equation if you are given the average bond enthalpy. But for this question you can't really though. Can anyone explain when I need to draw a diagram? Thanks Name:  1454713028338-391350151.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  513.1 KB
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
In partc of this question, I am really unsure whether to draw a Hess cycle diagram for it or just simply use the equation to work it out. I thought if you are asked to work out the enthalpy change of combustion, you will always draw a diagram because you will only use the equation if you are given the average bond enthalpy. But for this question you can't really though. Can anyone explain when I need to draw a diagram? Thanks Name:  1454713028338-391350151.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  513.1 KB
You could draw a diagram if you wanted, but you really don't need to for this question. Check out this interactive on Hess law
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by charco)
You could draw a diagram if you wanted, but you really don't need to for this question. Check out this interactive on Hess law
Hi, thanks for replying. But for part c, it does seem like I have to draw the diagram though because I was given the enthalpy change of formation and if I draw a diagram and go from there I get -4866. Whereas if I just use the equation (sum of reactant -sum of products) I get 4866. Also for the equation , I thought it is only used if you are given the average bond enthalpy( I found out about this just now)....
RMNDK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, thanks for replying. But for part c, it does seem like I have to draw the diagram though because I was given the enthalpy change of formation and if I draw a diagram and go from there I get -4866. Whereas if I just use the equation (sum of reactant -sum of products) I get 4866. Also for the equation , I thought it is only used if you are given the average bond enthalpy( I found out about this just now)....
Firstly, where are you getting -4866 from?

Secondly, you don't have to. Like charco said, you can use the equation or you can draw the Hess Cycle, but both methods work because the Hess Cycle is pretty much drawing out the equation.

(sum of reactant -sum of products)

Also for the equation , I thought it is only used if you are given the average bond enthalpy( I found out about this just now)....
That equation is used if you have enthalpies of combustion. What you have are enthalpies of formation so the equation will be Sum of Product - Sum of Reactants.

The equation is used also in mean bond enthalpies but you can still use it in this question, it doesn't matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads