The Student Room Group

What subjects to choose?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Yandex
I will talk with my guidance tomorrow and I just hope that they managed to sort it out. I also thought about this idea to move school, but this is if nothing else works. And yeah I just needed to tell someone about my disagreement.

Good luck with your guidance teacher, but if you can't get anywhere with them, you could try speaking to someone on the SMT. This can sometimes get things done.
Reply 41
Original post by PTS_99
You must do whatever you can do avoid doing N4 in S5 especially considering you want to go into medicine.
I agree that the school has screwed you over pretty badly when you first started there from the sounds of things but apart from complaining about it (believe me I know a good rant can help) there is little you can do about it now.
You need to seriously push your guidance teacher to get your subjects for you, if they can't then I've run out of reasonable things to suggest really. I agree with Flk that you should get your parents involved and start building a dialogue between you and your parents, your guidance teacher and a member of senior leadership (head/depute) to try and resolve the issue.

The final, and mostly unreasonable thing I can suggest is that you look at your wider options. This may be other schools in your area if they still cannot provide for you (not possible for everybody I know), other ways of getting your qualifications (munchensmile will probably be able to help with this if you need it), or other career paths (again not at all reasonable if medicine is something you really want to do, which I think you do).

Original post by Yandex
I will talk with my guidance tomorrow and I just hope that they managed to sort it out. I also thought about this idea to move school, but this is if nothing else works. And yeah I just needed to tell someone about my disagreement.

To be honest OP should consider other careers as well just to be more sensible with his options. Medicine is a game of luck after you get required grades, with no guarantee of offers. I would highly recommend OP to think of a backup option if medicine doesn't go so well and reapplying year after year isn't realistic.

But yeah, if you're school really doesn't offer 5 highers, maybe it will be considered as some extra circumstance by some med schools. It's best to directly email universities about this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Remember you should also consider other education paths such as going to college or whatnot. That can also lead onto uni or you can get equally as respected qualifications

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
I have a question. I know it is my last option, but I was just wondering about this.

How exactly does changing schools happen? I am here from an year so I am not sure how it works. From my observations it looks like I can't apply to a high school outside of my area. e.g. if I am in school in Renfrewshire I can't just go and move to a school in different area like East Glasgow. I may be completely wrong. If I am, then how exactly do I move school? Do I just go in some school and say that I want to move there?

Sorry if my question sounds strange, but I have no idea how things work here.
Reply 44
I imagine that you would approach other schools in your area and see what they can do for you, or you might need to talk to the education department of your local authority (council). It will be harder to fight your case to apply for schools where you are outside their catchment area, the area in which they accept pupils, especially if they are full or expect to be. Going to schools run by other authorities (Glasgow when you live in Renfrewshire for example) could be a possibility if you live close to the border between the two authorities.
If you are going to look at other schools you should almost immediately ask about their senior (S5/6) options forms to see if your subjects fit them, cause if not then there is little point moving there.
There will be better people to advise on moving schools but that's what I know.
Reply 45
I take it talking to guidance didn't go well for you then?
Reply 46
Original post by PTS_99
I take it talking to guidance didn't go well for you then?

Thanks for answering.

Well I wasn't able to talk today, but I will talk tomorrow. If they say that they can't help me then I will arrange a meeting with her, my parents and the head of the school.

I was asking about the schools just in case I need to change schools. You said that I should ask right away about the schools options if I want to move there. Do you mean that I can just send the message asking how are the options there?
Reply 47
I would talk to them about your situation (you were given a pretty rubbish set of options when you joined the school during S4, its limiting what you can do now, and the options form and the school are stopping you from taking what you need to go into medicine) and whether you would be able to take the subjects you wanted at their school if you moved there. Of course your parents would have to get involved at that point. You could also bring the option up at the meeting between you and your parents and the teachers present as they may know who to contact or they may be able to contact them on your behalf if you wanted them to.
I wouldn't expect a different school to let you crash higher for example, but the columns there might allow you to take the subjects you can do (English, Maths, Physics, Biology and Music Technology) which I believe is your best option at the moment.
Reply 48
Tbh, I think there's a good chance another school locally might agree to let you do a crash higher if you can't at your current school. I know several people in my school who did a crash higher in S5, and also people at other schools.
Reply 49
Hello,

I spoke with my teacher and before the holidays she told me what was probably going to happen. She told me that for one subject I would go in a different school, probably Biology. A taxi would pick me up from my school and drive me to the other school. It seems strange, but it may work for my situation. Has anyone else ever been in the same situation? I am fine doing this. Should I ask her again to find another way or do you think this is a good option?

Thanks.
Reply 50
Original post by Yandex
Hello,

I spoke with my teacher and before the holidays she told me what was probably going to happen. She told me that for one subject I would go in a different school, probably Biology. A taxi would pick me up from my school and drive me to the other school. It seems strange, but it may work for my situation. Has anyone else ever been in the same situation? I am fine doing this. Should I ask her again to find another way or do you think this is a good option?

Thanks.

Although not ideal, that seems like a good arrangement to me. However I'm sure others will be better placed to tell you what it's like to go to another school for one subject.
Original post by Yandex
Hello,

Thanks.

Hi
I haven't had to do this personally, but I will most likely have to do this next year...The people in my year (I'm in fifth year) who are getting taught subjects at another school usually have to leave the lesson before (or lunch/break, depending when in the day it is) a little bit early (like 5-10 minutes), get a taxi to the other school to heave their lesson and then leave a little bit early to return for their next class.
I would say, although it's not ideal, it is probably the best option left as I'm sure your teacher will have exhausted all other options before suggesting this... I would definitely choose that option as it means that you can pick the subjects that you want/need.
Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 52
Hello again,

well all the exams went well and I passed all five.

Biology - A
Maths - B
Physics - B
Music Tech - B
English - C

As you may know from previous post I will be doing Biology in another school. I am, however, experiencing problems with doing it.

First, my school doesn't provide my any type of transport. When we made the "deal" with my guidance teacher she told me that there would be taxi getting me from my school and driving me to the other school - vice versa for the other way. Well in the last week back in June I found that there will be a taxi only getting me from there to my school. The walking distance is around 35 minutes, so they expect me to finish period and go straight to the other school losing all of my lunch break, not "just 10 minutes" as my teacher promised. Also if it is the last period there wont be any taxi as well. They do offer me a bus card, but that is completely useless since the bus comes once every hour which, as expected, doesn't work for me. What am I supposed to do now? Am I in my right to require a taxi from my school?

Secondly, as you can see I have screwed up English. I didn't want to take it in S5 as a Higher, but (mentioned in previous post) I had no choice left by my school. (They do not allow crashing in S5.) Someone mentioned that I should push my school to let me do 5 Highers, back when I had that problem. It did work when I told them that they need to find a way and I wont be satisfied with any other subjects. So, I was thinking could I try "pushing" them again to let my crash a Higher and drop English. Not a hard one, but just a Higher. If they agree, they will most likely find a way to combine my timetable to be only in that school, which would be perfect as it is a solution to my first problem as well.

These are my two questions. Also, I am not sure if it is a problem reviving an old thread, but I find it more efficient to just ask all my questions in here.

Thanks.
Reply 53
Original post by Yandex
Hello again,

well all the exams went well and I passed all five.

Biology - A
Maths - B
Physics - B
Music Tech - B
English - C

As you may know from previous post I will be doing Biology in another school. I am, however, experiencing problems with doing it.

First, my school doesn't provide my any type of transport. When we made the "deal" with my guidance teacher she told me that there would be taxi getting me from my school and driving me to the other school - vice versa for the other way. Well in the last week back in June I found that there will be a taxi only getting me from there to my school. The walking distance is around 35 minutes, so they expect me to finish period and go straight to the other school losing all of my lunch break, not "just 10 minutes" as my teacher promised. Also if it is the last period there wont be any taxi as well. They do offer me a bus card, but that is completely useless since the bus comes once every hour which, as expected, doesn't work for me. What am I supposed to do now? Am I in my right to require a taxi from my school?

Secondly, as you can see I have screwed up English. I didn't want to take it in S5 as a Higher, but (mentioned in previous post) I had no choice left by my school. (They do not allow crashing in S5.) Someone mentioned that I should push my school to let me do 5 Highers, back when I had that problem. It did work when I told them that they need to find a way and I wont be satisfied with any other subjects. So, I was thinking could I try "pushing" them again to let my crash a Higher and drop English. Not a hard one, but just a Higher. If they agree, they will most likely find a way to combine my timetable to be only in that school, which would be perfect as it is a solution to my first problem as well.

These are my two questions. Also, I am not sure if it is a problem reviving an old thread, but I find it more efficient to just ask all my questions in here.

Thanks.

Yeah it turns out I kinda screwed Higher English as well (C) which is now a concern for me but that's not the point. And reviving this thread was the right thing to do, means the rest of the story is easier to find to remember what was going on and how you got around the problem.

If the only way the school can let you sit a subject (H Biology in this case) is to sit the course in another school, then as far as I am aware they have to provide transport to and from your school if you need it. If the bus times do not match the school day in terms of when you would be travelling between the two schools, then a taxi or council minibus/transport should be provided for you. They could be getting round this if you need transport just before or just after lunch break, in which case you'll either have to fight them a little more or find some nice places to eat along the way to/from the other school.

In regards to English, it is a subject that is sought after by universities, but isn't necessary for many courses/careers. You may have to take English at Higher as the C at N5 may not be enough for some universities - for example University of Glasgow require a minimum of a B at N5 English for medicine. You could do a crash Higher however I'm not sure it is the right option, even if you did pick an easier one. Even if you forced your school to let you crash a Higher, there's no guarantee that it will solve your first problem, unless the columns specifically worked out in such a way.

I'm afraid I have to now join others that have previously said that you should maybe consider other career options if you can't take English at Higher, especially as a C at N5 English is enough for many good courses, including Computer Science for example (although that would require Higher Computing Science at some point).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by PTS_99
Yeah it turns out I kinda screwed Higher English as well (C) which is now a concern for me but that's not the point. And reviving this thread was the right thing to do, means the rest of the story is easier to find to remember what was going on and how you got around the problem.

If the only way the school can let you sit a subject (H Biology in this case) is to sit the course in another school, then as far as I am aware they have to provide transport to and from your school if you need it. If the bus times do not match the school day in terms of when you would be travelling between the two schools, then a taxi or council minibus/transport should be provided for you. They could be getting round this if you need transport just before or just after lunch break, in which case you'll either have to fight them a little more or find some nice places to eat along the way to/from the other school.

In regards to English, it is a subject that is sought after by universities, but isn't necessary for many courses/careers. You may have to take English at Higher as the C at N5 may not be enough for some universities - for example University of Glasgow require a minimum of a B at N5 English for medicine. You could do a crash Higher however I'm not sure it is the right option, even if you did pick an easier one. Even if you forced your school to let you crash a Higher, there's no guarantee that it will solve your first problem, unless the columns specifically worked out in such a way.

I'm afraid I have to now join others that have previously said that you should maybe consider other career options if you can't take English at Higher, especially as a C at N5 English is enough for many good courses, including Computer Science for example (although that would require Higher Computing Science at some point).

Hi, as you said I should get transport "if you need it", but I think that is the problem. They think I do not need it and whilst it is actually possible to get from my school to the other one by walking it takes unreasonable amount of time (~35 min). I have first two periods in the other school on Tuesday and two periods after lunchtime on Wednesday and Friday and they are last periods as well. So by their logic I will be having a taxi only in Tuesday to get me from there to my school in the 15 minute break. I will however try to convince them to get me some transport.

What I am asking next is just if it is theoretically possible. I don't want to sound too ambitious.

In your opinion it would be easier to try and work to bring my C to an A in English rather than crashing new subject (easy one) and try and have an A on it? Which one sounds at least remotely possible?

About considering other options, yes I have considered many options. I don't even want to study medicine that much anymore, but I would still like to try. I remember reading about N5 grades in one of the unis. I know some of them require N5 grades, but not all I think. Most require English at least on N5 level, but didn't say exactly what grade.

Thanks.

EDIT: After checking the requirements for all universities it looks like all need a B in N5. I had no idea until just now. And the requirements look to have changed this year. In Dundee university in 2016 they do not even mention grades at N5 while for 2017 applications there are new requirements and it is like that for all the universities. It looks like there is quite a competition if they have to require grades from N5...

EDIT 2: "If Biology, Mathematics and English have not been passed at Higher grade, each must normally have been passed at Intermediate 2 (grade A or B) or National 5 (grade A or B)." - this is from St. Andrews. This would work for me since I do have English on higher level. I really would have liked if all other universities had that option... It's like the Higher grade would cover for N5 as well. Makes sense.

Sorry, I am ranting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Yandex
Hi, as you said I should get transport "if you need it", but I think that is the problem. They think I do not need it and whilst it is actually possible to get from my school to the other one by walking it takes unreasonable amount of time (~35 min). I have first two periods in the other school on Tuesday and two periods after lunchtime on Wednesday and Friday and they are last periods as well. So by their logic I will be having a taxi only in Tuesday to get me from there to my school in the 15 minute break. I will however try to convince them to get me some transport.

What I am asking next is just if it is theoretically possible. I don't want to sound too ambitious.

In your opinion it would be easier to try and work to bring my C to an A in English rather than crashing new subject (easy one) and try and have an A on it? Which one sounds at least remotely possible?

About considering other options, yes I have considered many options. I don't even want to study medicine that much anymore, but I would still like to try. I remember reading about N5 grades in one of the unis. I know some of them require N5 grades, but not all I think. Most require English at least on N5 level, but didn't say exactly what grade.

Thanks.

That was exactly my point, the way your timetable works (from the sound of it) means that it has been decided that you don't need transport all of the time, this is because you seem to have enough 'free time' (before/after school, lunch, interval - non-class time) either before or after the times you are timetabled to be in Biology at the other school. This will be an attempt to save money as there is little around (none) for schools to spend on this type of thing. I think this will be something you'll have to deal with one way or another if this goes ahead, short of either cycling or paying for the return taxi yourself.

The possibility of bringing English from a C at N5 to an A at Higher is something to discuss with your English teacher (not guidance), however it would be quite a challenge. Not saying it's definitely impossible and a great deal of effort can achieve many things, but seeing your teacher will provide some realistic information there.
Finding an 'easy' Higher to crash isn't as straightforward as it sounds. First, I guess it comes down to what subjects/areas you find easier than others, being interested in the subject also helps a great deal. Second, it'll take a lot of convincing to let the head of department agree to it, let alone guidance. But most of all, Higher is no walk in the park. Progressing from N5 is enough of a hurdle to overcome in most cases, but crashing it is a whole new ballgame. It's something to explore but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Course requirements depend on the course (of course :wink:), with requirements differing between unis. Each course will outline whether they have any minimum requirements, some require N5 Maths at C, some H Maths at A, others want N5 English at C/B, etc. You see where I'm going with that.
If your not passionate about medicine any more, I wouldn't still aim to do it, although still aiming for the grades you would need wouldn't hurt considering medicine's consistently high requirements. I would really think about what you are passionate about, because that will ultimately what you'll be better at, since we are better driven when it's something we want and you really need a lot of drive to do well at Higher....
Reply 56
Original post by PTS_99
That was exactly my point, the way your timetable works (from the sound of it) means that it has been decided that you don't need transport all of the time, this is because you seem to have enough 'free time' (before/after school, lunch, interval - non-class time) either before or after the times you are timetabled to be in Biology at the other school. This will be an attempt to save money as there is little around (none) for schools to spend on this type of thing. I think this will be something you'll have to deal with one way or another if this goes ahead, short of either cycling or paying for the return taxi yourself.

The possibility of bringing English from a C at N5 to an A at Higher is something to discuss with your English teacher (not guidance), however it would be quite a challenge. Not saying it's definitely impossible and a great deal of effort can achieve many things, but seeing your teacher will provide some realistic information there.
Finding an 'easy' Higher to crash isn't as straightforward as it sounds. First, I guess it comes down to what subjects/areas you find easier than others, being interested in the subject also helps a great deal. Second, it'll take a lot of convincing to let the head of department agree to it, let alone guidance. But most of all, Higher is no walk in the park. Progressing from N5 is enough of a hurdle to overcome in most cases, but crashing it is a whole new ballgame. It's something to explore but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Course requirements depend on the course (of course :wink:), with requirements differing between unis. Each course will outline whether they have any minimum requirements, some require N5 Maths at C, some H Maths at A, others want N5 English at C/B, etc. You see where I'm going with that.
If your not passionate about medicine any more, I wouldn't still aim to do it, although still aiming for the grades you would need wouldn't hurt considering medicine's consistently high requirements. I would really think about what you are passionate about, because that will ultimately what you'll be better at, since we are better driven when it's something we want and you really need a lot of drive to do well at Higher....

Thank you. One off topic question. Today I got my marks for all the exams. In English I have missed a B by 2 marks. I was more surprise by the marks for my "Portfolio: Writing". They are 17, but my English teacher estimated me around 25-28. I know he might be wrong, but if he estimated 27 and I got 17 there may be some chance for me. In your pinion is it worth paying and "remarking" my exam? I just read about this in TSR and I checked if it is possible. I am confident that there is chance of something being wrong since it wasn't something I predicted, but my teacher and I do believe he was accurate with his estimate to some extent. Some strange theory I have, but my second essay was about my immigration from my origin country which some people don't look very good to. I know this is very unlikely, but it makes me to at least try remarking. What is your opinion?

I am not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: BTW they got me a taxi from my school to the other school after lunchtime. Worst case I will get a cab from my place on Tuesdays morning if a friend isn't able to drop me. It is some success at least.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Yandex
Thank you. One off topic question. Today I got my marks for all the exams. In English I have missed a B by 2 marks. I was more surprise by the marks for my "Portfolio: Writing". They are 17, but my English teacher estimated me around 25-28. I know he might be wrong, but if he estimated 27 and I got 17 there may be some chance for me. In your pinion is it worth paying and "remarking" my exam? I just read about this in TSR and I checked if it is possible. I am confident that there is chance of something being wrong since it wasn't something I predicted, but my teacher and I do believe he was accurate with his estimate to some extent. Some strange theory I have, but my second essay was about my immigration from my origin country which some people don't look very good to. I know this is very unlikely, but it makes me to at least try remarking. What is your opinion?

EDIT: BTW they got me a taxi from my school to the other school after lunchtime. Worst case I will get a cab from my place on Tuesdays morning if a friend isn't able to drop me. It is some success at least.

Yes get the remark, worth a try. If its only 2 marks off a B then maybe another marker might give you a slightly higher mark (or lower).
Reply 58
Original post by Yammy
Yes get the remark, worth a try. If its only 2 marks off a B then maybe another marker might give you a slightly higher mark (or lower).

Yes, that's wath I thought. And even if I get a lower mark it is unlikely it will be 8 marks down - a fail.
Reply 59
Original post by Yandex

I'd try for the remark. I'm thinking of doing the same myself for Higher English, but I don't know my component marks yet. I just hope I don't drop a grade...

And that's probably as good as your going to get with the taxi thing, considering your school don't seem to be too keen on helping further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending