Fukuoka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you!
Veno
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a really odd statistic to look at and not really representational of much information you couldn't find better represented in other statistics. Japanese is a very intensive course at the start and as such should be naturally inclined to have a few drop outs, however this is not representational of the course. You would be better off talking to previous students and lecturers to get a better more complete understanding of how the course is. Looking at what extra facilities are on offer, as an example Oxford Brookes has the Europe Japan Research Centre (EJRC). Furthermore looking at each course on their respective University website and looking into what modules are on offer is helpful, some offer more History others more Religion and they all mix in some Pop Culture. Looking at what Universities you can go to in your Year abroad is also another good thing to look into, as perhaps you're interested in a specific region or prefecture?

So on a final note, drop out rates don't really tell you anything and should not be a statistic you use to decide on which institute to accept. Look at the courses, the modules, the year abroad (SOAS does not do a year abroad), comments from previous experience, the City location, cost of living... there are so many better factors to consider when deciding. As someone who has looked at many Universities doing Japanese Studies I can say Oxford offers many things others do not which make it a desirable location for mature students and that perhaps not as desirable for a teenager who might want more of a social night life.

Keep in mind, this is all personal opinion... for the most part.
Fukuoka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have considered and looked at all the information available online. The textbooks each university uses is pretty similar, with the exception of Brookes. As for drop out rates, it is a good incline as to how the course is run, but often the statistics available are wrong. For example, on whatuni it says Sheffield have a dropout rate of 5% for Japanese studies, this could not be further from the truth as I know someone studying there and he's told me that starting in year 1 you get around 60 students and year 2 you only have about 25. Furthermore, sorry but SOAS do have a year abroad, I think you're looking at the Japanese Studies 3 year BA, they have two, one being BA Japanese 4 yrs. Really I would like information from current students on here if thats possible, as mentioned. Thanks for the help though, I imagine this reply has come across as harsh, I don't mean it to be! ^_^
Veno
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're not going to get reliable information from current students here, at the very least I think I've seen maybe one or two previous students comment once or twice and that's it. We're underrepresented online. You need to email the department or admission teams for the respective Universities and go about it that way. It's all well and good getting information from current students who don't know the bigger picture but that's not representational of anything. Again, it's not a statistic that really means anything since it's an individual thing and not a course thing. You would be better off looking at satisfaction of course than drop out, as people leave the course or change from a single to a double for all sorts of reasons.

The only thing I can think of that you can do is go to open days for each of the Universities and talk directly to current students and try and get an opinion on the course itself from them. Good Luck
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fukuoka)
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you!
I'm in SEAS at Sheffield and the people who fail are lazy and can't be bothered to do the required amount of work for each of their modules. You can't expect to be spoon fed at uni-vast majority is independent study, although lecturers are always there if you need help.

Let me know if you want more info on Sheffield-we are one of the best when it comes to East Asian languages
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
59.94%
No (72)
22.02%
Not sure (59)
18.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed