algebrax1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey!
The question I need help on is describing how beta radiation is produced by a radioactive isotope.

Thank you so much
TrilbyMctip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by algebrax1)
Hey!
The question I need help on is describing how beta radiation is produced by a radioactive isotope.

Thank you so much
For beta- decay; A neutron decays into a proton. An Electron and Electron Anti-neutrino are released. The exchange particle is a W- Boson.

For Beta+ decay; A proton turns to a neutron. A positron and an electron neutrino are released. The exchange particle is a W+ boson.

Feynman Diagrams for these are available on google, just search the interaction/decay you want and you're bound to find an image.
I hope this helps!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TrilbyMctip)
For beta- decay; A neutron decays into a proton. An Electron and Electron Anti-neutrino are released. The exchange particle is a W- Boson.

For Beta+ decay; A proton turns to a neutron. A positron and an electron neutrino are released. The exchange particle is a W+ boson.

Feynman Diagrams for these are available on google, just search the interaction/decay you want and you're bound to find an image.
I hope this helps!
Very good, but don't you think that it was a bit too extensive (in terms of the bosons)? it is GCSE level at least.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by algebrax1)
Hey!

Thank you so much
The isotope or nucleus of a radioactive element decays (splits up) into two new elements one of which is a Helium nucleus ejected at high energy. This ejected Helium atom is called beta radiation.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
The isotope or nucleus of a radioactive element decays (splits up) into two new elements one of which is a Helium nucleus ejected at high energy. This ejected Helium atom is called beta radiation.
Erm... as far as I know that is alpha radiation, not beta radiation. A careless mistake by any chance?
TrilbyMctip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
That's Alpha.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's Alpha.
That is what I have been saying. Everyone makes a mistake now and then.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSE you just need to know that a proton becomes a neutron and a positron is released or the other equation for \beta^-.

A-level you need to know that a neutrino or antineutrino is released to match up lepton numbers.

Any higher you need to know the process involving the W^{\pm}.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Erm... as far as I know that is alpha radiation, not beta radiation. A careless mistake by any chance?
That's Alpha.
Haha. Thanks guy's.

Yes it's my mistake doh!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads