The Student Room Group

OK to ask for your cv back on the spot???

hi everyone,

i want to apply for retail jobs but alot of the time its better to hand in CV as they can see what you look like and if you have the right personality...

but really dont want my cv to just get left by the manager lying around with all my details on it especially if its in a local store..

so do you suggest i insist the manager rreads it on the spot and gives it back or???

thanks in in advance guys!
Reply 1
Apply online if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Impressive
Apply online if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

kool, alot of the time though the caliber of jobs you can get arent the same..

since you answered let me be slightly annoying and ask another one..

for a retail cv it should just have general experience hobbies etc right?... not the same as a uni placement cv?

so in essence remove some things from my official academic cv?
Reply 3
Original post by icemaj
kool, alot of the time though the caliber of jobs you can get arent the same..

since you answered let me be slightly annoying and ask another one..

for a retail cv it should just have general experience hobbies etc right?... not the same as a uni placement cv?

so in essence remove some things from my official academic cv?

Yes, general.

- Education
- Work
- Skills
- Interests

+ Cover Letter if necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by icemaj
hi everyone,

i want to apply for retail jobs but alot of the time its better to hand in CV as they can see what you look like and if you have the right personality...

but really dont want my cv to just get left by the manager lying around with all my details on it especially if its in a local store..

so do you suggest i insist the manager rreads it on the spot and gives it back or???

thanks in in advance guys!

I don't think the manager will be impressed by you making him read it there and then he probably got a million things to do. I think the best thing is to ask whether there is any vacancies and if not then don't hand your cv so it won't be lying around.
Most retail places like Debenhams, Primark, Mcdonalds is all done online which you might prefer. Years ago when i applied to Marks and Spencer and Primark i never had to attach my cv as they dont ask for it you just have to pass an online test and fill a personal statement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Impressive
Yes, general.

- Education
- Work
- Skills
- Interests

+ Cover Letter if necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
I don't think the manager will be impressed by you making him read it there and then he probably got a million things to do. I think the best thing is to ask whether there is any vacancies and if not then don't hand your cv so it won't be lying around.
Most retail places like Debenhams, Primark, Mcdonalds is all done online which you might prefer. Years ago when i applied to Marks and Spencer and Primark i never had to attach my cv as they dont ask for it you just have to pass an online test and fill a personal statement.

haha imagine his face when you tell him to read it now or give it back!!

but nice youve been grafting your way though jobs havent you!!

thanks!
Put it in an envelope.

They are obliged under the data protection act to safeguard it
A manager should be aware of this as the corporate liability of a breach should be part of their training
Reply 8
Original post by domonict
Put it in an envelope.

They are obliged under the data protection act to safeguard it
A manager should be aware of this as the corporate liability of a breach should be part of their training

lol if it gets lost lets just say they leave it around how will you ever know they lost it?

they say they will get back to you and might loose it and then call and say " sorry you werent sucessfull"

do you go and ask for your cv back?

they will say they trashed it
My point is that if the manager is responsible, they will have received data protection training .
You can't guarantee that stuff will not get lost because an employee failed to follow that law, but in companies that I have worked in, a data protection issue like that would involve a disciplinary interview as the company is open to prosecution

I don't quite understand the secrecy for a job in a shop, unless you were a secret agent before deciding on retail, but they should be conversant with the law. If they are not, do you want to work for them?
Original post by icemaj
haha imagine his face when you tell him to read it now or give it back!!

but nice youve been grafting your way though jobs havent you!!

thanks!

That was 5 years ago when I started uni and needed a part time job worked as a Xmas temp at Marks and Spencer then 2 years of hell at primark working weekends. Don't work there now or in retail fortunately. Though Marks and Spencers is a lovely place to work treat you well.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending