Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a year 12 student currently doing my AS levels and I was wondering what the process was for studying medicine in Germany or other German speaking countries? I'm currently studying German and love the language and culture, but I want to study medicine. What level of German proficiency would be required for a German language course for example? What is the process of application? Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell you about the German language requirements, but I think they are very high considering what a competitive field it is. In Germany the applications for medicine have to be submitted on one website, hochschulstart.de - you can probably get a lot of info from there. Your grades have to be exceptional and the application deadline is July 15th, which might be a problem since your results are not in by then.
    The course itself is usually 6 years long, with a major exam "physikum" after the first two.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's really helpful! I'll have a look at the website

ReputationRep:
    Medicine in Germany is ridiculously competitive, so if you think about applying because you don't have the grades to study in the UK I doubt that you will get in somewhere. You also have to consider that you need certain subjects at A Level for your qualifications to be accepted as equivalent to the German Abitur.
    The language requirements aren't that high (B2 I heard) So if everything else is fine it shouldn't be too complicated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.