Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Breaking a contract for accomodation help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out from my current house but I have signed the contract for the next year. The landlord want me to find a replacement. I need someone to replace me by MArch 2016. I'm an international student so I'm not clear about the law of breaking contract in UK.
    Can someone help me in this ? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmawatson711)
    I'm moving out from my current house but I have signed the contract for the next year. The landlord want me to find a replacement. I need someone to replace me by MArch 2016. I'm an international student so I'm not clear about the law of breaking contract in UK.
    You need to find a sub-tenant to replace you, otherwise you're still required to pay rent as per the contract. If you just break the contract and don't find a replacement you'll lose your deposit.

So basically finding a replacement will save you several hundred £s, its in your interest to do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmawatson711)
    As Architecture has said you are still liable to pay rent unless you find a replacement tenant. If you have a guarantor your landlord can pursue them, otherwise they will likely chase your other housemates for the extra rent.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.