Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this train conductor being fair? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    *Just for context*
    My housemate went to see her boyfriend yesterday via train.
    She got on at the small train station near our house and got off at the main city one so she could catch her train.
    The small train station has no facilities for buying tickets at all, occasionally there will be a person there to buy from but this only tends to be early morning weekdays ,so she had no chance to buy one there.
    At the main station, the ticket machines are down two flights of stairs, a long corridor and then she'd have to cross the barriers to purchase a new ticket. If she'd gone through all that (with heavy luggage) she'd have missed her train so she decided to just get on her train and buy the ticket from there.

Now, I've done similar journeys to hers MANY times, and sometimes when I've gotten off at the main station I've gone to the information desk at the platform, asked them the best way to a buy a ticket and they say I could go downstairs to buy a ticket if I wanted, but I could just buy it on the train. I have purchased tickets on the train many, many times with no issue.

She asked the train conductor to buy a ticket. He tells her off for not going downstairs to buy a ticket. She tells him that if she had done, she would have missed her train. He doesn't care. So not only does he not let her apply her rail card, he REFUSES to sell her a single ticket and makes her buy a return even though she doesn't need it, so she ends up paying about £53.

Is he being unfair?

ReputationRep:
    No he is being an absolute ****. He should be thrown in front of a train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettgr)
    *Just for context*
    My housemate went to see her boyfriend yesterday via train.
    She got on at the small train station near our house and got off at the main city one so she could catch her train.
    The small train station has no facilities for buying tickets at all, occasionally there will be a person there to buy from but this only tends to be early morning weekdays ,so she had no chance to buy one there.
    At the main station, the ticket machines are down two flights of stairs, a long corridor and then she'd have to cross the barriers to purchase a new ticket. If she'd gone through all that (with heavy luggage) she'd have missed her train so she decided to just get on her train and buy the ticket from there.

Now, I've done similar journeys to hers MANY times, and sometimes when I've gotten off at the main station I've gone to the information desk at the platform, asked them the best way to a buy a ticket and they say I could go downstairs to buy a ticket if I wanted, but I could just buy it on the train. I have purchased tickets on the train many, many times with no issue.

She asked the train conductor to buy a ticket. He tells her off for not going downstairs to buy a ticket. She tells him that if she had done, she would have missed her train. He doesn't care. So not only does he not let her apply her rail card, he REFUSES to sell her a single ticket and makes her buy a return even though she doesn't need it, so she ends up paying about £53.

Is he being unfair?
    Fair? No. Just? Unfortunately so.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    And she couldn't have bought one in advance, because?

ReputationRep:
    It's like the most unfair thing I've heard all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Technically she is travelling without a ticket. Its as simple as that. Buying tickets in advance /on line is usually the best way and cheapest.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The conductor is following his companies policy and has heard all of these excuses before.

It seems very unfair however there are many people who will try anything to get out of paying and this is the result of that dishonesty.

If you want to blame someone then blame and rant at the cheats who are subsidised by law abiding honest passengers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    And she couldn't have bought one in advance, because?
    She usually does book them in advance when going to see him but one of her lectures on Monday was cancelled so she decided that she could go down and visit him. It was too late to book and have it delivered and then she'd have to pick up the ticket from the machines. If she knew she was going she would have booked in advance since it would have been cheaper.

It just confuses me that the people at that very station tell me that I can buy a ticket on the train and I've never had any issues with doing so, she does this for the first time and gets punished for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    She usually does book them in advance when going to see him but one of her lectures on Monday was cancelled so she decided that she could go down and visit him. It was too late to book and have it delivered and then she'd have to pick up the ticket from the machines. If she knew she was going she would have booked in advance since it would have been cheaper.

It just confuses me that the people at that very station tell me that I can buy a ticket on the train and I've never had any issues with doing so, she does this for the first time and gets punished for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If she has a railcard their t&cs say that you must buy at a station if they have machines and conductors generally make no exceptions to that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he's being unfair - the National Rail Conditions of Carriage say that if there were no ticket facilities at the station at which a passenger begins their journey (not changes halfway through), they are entitled to purchase the full range of tickets on board, even with a railcard.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to pay for your ticket on the train, with cash and that should be the norm.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    The conductor is following his companies policy and has heard all of these excuses before.

It seems very unfair however there are many people who will try anything to get out of paying and this is the result of that dishonesty.

If you want to blame someone then blame and rant at the cheats who are subsidised by law abiding honest passengers.
    Nobody forces the travel companies to pass the 'cost' of those who avoid the fares onto the rest of their customers. It's a total distraction to point the finger at people who don't pay as a sort of release valve for public outrage
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    You should be able to pay for your ticket on the train, with cash and that should be the norm.

Nobody forces the travel companies to pass the 'cost' of those who avoid the fares onto the rest of their customers. It's a total distraction to point the finger at people who don't pay as a sort of release valve for public outrage
    Really? Never heard of share-holders? Some people don't live in the real world.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds as though she's just making excuses. You can book them online and then pick up them from your named station 15 minutes later, I think it is.

ReputationRep:
    Could've bought them online, or planned a little to get them at the main station. Sounds like she was being lazy.

We have the same situation in Bristol, if they don't sell you your ticket on the little train, you wait in line and buy it at the main station (if you didn't book before). Really not that difficult.
    It's one thing to get on the first train with no ticket due to no facilities, pure laziness not to do so for the main train where there were facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Being late for the train is no excuse not to buy a ticket... If she had to pick up tickets at the main station she wouldnt have just got on the train would she? It's the same principle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.