AdHominem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone.

I have been given the task of choosing which A Levels I am interested in studying. As a person, I am rather academic and primarily focused on taking subjects pertaining to the sciences. As many of you will know, few people are permitted to take four A Level subjects - I think that I would like to be one of them. However I am open to other options.

Upon looking at careers and the Russell Group universities, I have taken an interest in studying several things - with medicine being the main point of interest - and I am wondering which combination of subjects would be most beneficial to me overall, since I have not entirely decided on a course, nor a career. At present, I am torn between studying: mathematics, biology, chemistry and geography; mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics; mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology or simply chemistry, mathematics and biology.

I was wondering if anyone had an insight into which combination of subjects would be most beneficial. In case anyone is interested, my school also offers: further mathematics, French, English literature, history, computer science, economics and psychology. That is the extent of the facilitating subjects offered - the last three are only rather liked by the universities - with the addition of German (which I do not study and have not ever studied) and the EPQ.

I hope that you guys will be able to help me out with making my decision. If you have any advice,Cohen please feel free to leave it below. Thank you.
TrilbyMctip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AdHominem)
Hi everyone.

I have been given the task of choosing which A Levels I am interested in studying. As a person, I am rather academic and primarily focused on taking subjects pertaining to the sciences. As many of you will know, few people are permitted to take four A Level subjects - I think that I would like to be one of them. However I am open to other options.

Upon looking at careers and the Russell Group universities, I have taken an interest in studying several things - with medicine being the main point of interest - and I am wondering which combination of subjects would be most beneficial to me overall, since I have not entirely decided on a course, nor a career. At present, I am torn between studying: mathematics, biology, chemistry and geography; mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics; mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology or simply chemistry, mathematics and biology.

I was wondering if anyone had an insight into which combination of subjects would be most beneficial. In case anyone is interested, my school also offers: further mathematics, French, English literature, history, computer science, economics and psychology. That is the extent of the facilitating subjects offered - the last three are only rather liked by the universities - with the addition of German (which I do not study and have not ever studied) and the EPQ.

I hope that you guys will be able to help me out with making my decision. If you have any advice,Cohen please feel free to leave it below. Thank you.
If only i could go back and repick my choices!
I would personally go for a really cohesive mix, so that none of your subjects are drastically different from any other. After AS physics i wished id chosen electronics or computer science to go with it.
Maths and the 3 sciences sounds good. But if you're already thinking about uni and, say, are considering a degree in physics, then further maths would serve you well. I'm a future physics uni student and i currently do Maths, Further maths, Physics, and drama (ironically the toughest subject i do...)
It's brilliant that you're thinking this far ahead, i wish i had that initiative going into my A levels!
I hope I've been some help
xoharrypotter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
please dont take 4 A-levels, do 4 AS-levels and do 3 Alevels you'd just be setting yourself up to have a less likely chance of meeting your offer at the end of A2
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AdHominem any of those choices are fine, except if you are considering a Maths/Economics/CompSci/Physics/Engineering degree at the leading unis where it might be helpful to do FM. For medicine it's relatively common to have 3 or 4 sciences (including Maths).

Have a look at both the Informed Choices info (apologies if you already have) and also Cambridge's "The Subject Matters":

* http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320...medchoices.pdf
* http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf

NB. Cambridge's info hasn't yet been updated to consider the linear A-level regime but the principles still apply.
AdHominem
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoharrypotter)
please dont take 4 A-levels, do 4 AS-levels and do 3 Alevels you'd just be setting yourself up to have a less likely chance of meeting your offer at the end of A2
Would you expand on that, please? I would like to study at Cambridge (ideally) and so I would be competing with the 12A* at GCSE, grade 8 trombone playing iindividuals. I know that this is exaggerated, but I really need all that I can get to boost my application. Also, which A Level choices would you recommend if I did 4 AS Levels?
xoharrypotter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would you expand on that, please? I would like to study at Cambridge (ideally) and so I would be competing with the 12A* at GCSE, grade 8 trombone playing iindividuals. I know that this is exaggerated, but I really need all that I can get to boost my application. Also, which A Level choices would you recommend if I did 4 AS Levels?
Hi,
I don't think Cambridge will care in my opinion.
I can understand that most Cambridge applicants are incredibly talented and have a lot of extra curricular etc, but I have had a look and they said a fourth A-level only really looks good to future employers and if you're looking at Medicine then you've got guaranteed placement at the end of your course considering how much in need the UK is of doctors, and most Doctors will have taken 3 not 4 anyways.
If you were to take 4 A-levels then Biology & chemistry is a definite.
Maths will also be quite good and i'd advise you not to take physics but geography because many students struggle with physics and if you are currently excelling at geography i'd suggest you carry it on.
Also I understand you are in year 11 right now and I suggest you really think about Cambridge and if it is the right place for you because right now you're probably under the influence of 'big names' such as Cambridge being the top uni etc etc, but you need to consider the work load as well as it is really really intense.
I'd suggest you look at this blog:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post62349379
Good luck with your GCSE's and your A-levels :-)
AdHominem
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoharrypotter)
Hi,
I don't think Cambridge will care in my opinion.
I can understand that most Cambridge applicants are incredibly talented and have a lot of extra curricular etc, but I have had a look and they said a fourth A-level only really looks good to future employers and if you're looking at Medicine then you've got guaranteed placement at the end of your course considering how much in need the UK is of doctors, and most Doctors will have taken 3 not 4 anyways.
If you were to take 4 A-levels then Biology & chemistry is a definite.
Maths will also be quite good and i'd advise you not to take physics but geography because many students struggle with physics and if you are currently excelling at geography i'd suggest you carry it on.
Also I understand you are in year 11 right now and I suggest you really think about Cambridge and if it is the right place for you because right now you're probably under the influence of 'big names' such as Cambridge being the top uni etc etc, but you need to consider the work load as well as it is really really intense.
I'd suggest you look at this blog:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post62349379
Good luck with your GCSE's and your A-levels :-)
Thank you very much for your incredibly detailed and helpful response - such useful advice! I had not thought about the guaranteed employment.
xoharrypotter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much for your incredibly detailed and helpful response - such useful advice! I had not thought about the guaranteed employment.
you're welcome remember a doctor is a doctor at the end of the day regardless of where they've gotten their degree from x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads