The Student Room Group

Wannabe investment bankers- do you consider yourself to be an alpha male?

If you are a male (yeah I know there are female bankers well), do you consider yourself to be relatively strong physically and as a leader? Or do you consider yourself semi-alpha or beta (less strong and less of a leader)
super alpha-male, my ego is too huge
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
If you are a male (yeah I know there are female bankers well), do you consider yourself to be relatively strong physically and as a leader? Or do you consider yourself semi-alpha or beta (less strong and less of a leader)

I'm a psychological beast. My way is the right way. Unless its been proven wrong xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need great leadership skills and teamwork to be a good candidate for an investment banking job, plus, you should have a good physique and not look like some nerd in order to be taken seriously by clients. So you pretty much have to be alpha if you are a man working in high finance.
If you aren't alpha IB is not the way uno.

(Jk, just have great bants and be a human being - I'd recommend Barclays for the OTT level of bants)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The stigma for banking is ridiculous. They're not all psychopath alpha males like you see on TV, most the banks I've visited genuinely have the nicest of people that are smarter than anyone I know, and these people are not how they're portrayed in the media, I actually would enjoy working with them.

Generally speaking most people in the industry are extremely ambitious, have an ego and are somewhat an 'alpha male' but it is considered to be one of the most competitive careers if not the most competitive, so you really have to be in order to make it into the industry and stay within the industry, at the end of the day its a people orientated business.

Just my opinion^

Anyways to answer your question, I do consider myself to have an ego.

EDIT: You will always find alpha males who have the biggest egos and are elitist, at banks, I have met a few people at some of the big banks that are exactly those types of people that are just d**** at the end of the day, not saying names of the banks but anyone who knows me will know what I am talking about
(edited 8 years ago)
The title of this thread is ridiculous. The only thing that differentiates bankers from the general population is ambition, maybe some intelligence and an interest in finance.

I think many people would be surprised by just how "ordinary" investment banks are as a work place and just how "ordinary" bankers come across.
Of course.
Original post by Trapz99

No, I'm a normal guy. Not that physically strong. Ambitious, yes. And a good leader but not an *******. Genuinely care about people.

I hate this perception that people who are bankers are somehow a different species to the human race - they are mostly normal people. You'd never spot them unless they told you. I think this is partly why the novelty wears off at an unbelievably rapid rate for most people. It is literally absolutely nothing like Wolf of Wall Street.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending