Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I change my driving instructor? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

I'm 24 and this is my second time learning to drive (I only had 4 lessons a few years ago). I know everyone will progress differently, but I do feel like I'm going at snail's pace here.

I've had 8 lessons, totaling 11.5 hours
    - I've been up to 3rd gear, practiced parking at the side of a road and in 1 car park, mainly driven on quiet roads, some normal roads, done 1 emergency stop, and done a couple of roundabouts.

She's an older female driving instructor which I thought would make me feel more comfortable but she doesn't seem to have much patience and can panic... Her availability is so limited even though I told her I wanted to have 4-6 hours every week before we started and she agreed this would be fine, but I'm now having them once a week.

On my second lesson I remember stalling - she panicked and said 'sh#t!'. Her own mirrors kept falling off while I was trying to drive. She has been late picking me up. She takes me to the same 'quiet' areas all the time - I've been to the same 2 areas in 8 lessons. I'll ask her where we are going and she'll decide there and then rather than having planned it. I've driven back home once. She doesn't allow me to think for myself but still prompts me when I do - for example, when I'm checking my mirror, she'll say 'check your mirror', and every time I come to a junction to clutch and brake, she sort of braces herself in her chair as if she's terrified, then she tries to break for me and prompts me as if I didn't know I had to give way...

We have a report card/log book (with a scale of 1-9 representing the stage you are at for each skill) and a lot of the things I feel I can do haven't been ticked on the card. My average for only a quarter of those skills is around a score of 6/9. The rest of the skills apparently haven't even been introduced. My 'use of mirrors' is apparently at level 3 which means 'with ease when guided' but I feel completely confident with that

I was meant to have a 4 hour lesson with her today, and another 4 hours tomorrow, but she cut the lesson short because I had a snuffle (recovered from a mild cold this week) and also cancelled my lesson tomorrow! So I had 1 hour today and she didn't even tick anything on my report card.

It also scared me because she said 'yeah people normally have 40-50 lessons' I was like what!!

I'm so frustrated what were your lessons like and do you think I'm progressing too slowly? If I want to change my driving instructor is that okay?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've got my test booked for April and my instructor still says things to me like "check the mirrors", "that's fine to go" (when on roundabouts)

Everyone progresses at different rates, but it does sound like she's going too slow for you. Maybe you should get someone else since driving lessons are a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. After 8 lessons you should be driving to and from your lessons. You'll probably still only be doing minor roads and junctions depending your skill and instructor etc but you should be the one doing most of the driving. Sounds like to me she isn't a confident instructor. I changed instructors 3 times before my current one but it feels like I've only learned anything with him as the other 3 where just not for me (all for different reasons) so there is no shame or need to keep them on. You're the one hiring them. If you feel you aren't getting your money's worth. Change!

ReputationRep:
    On my first lesson I went on the duel carriageway and across a railway line (ahhhh) but parking came a lot later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tu3z)
    Hi !

I'm 24 and this is my second time learning to drive (I only had 4 lessons a few years ago). I know everyone will progress differently, but I do feel like I'm going at snail's pace here.

- I've been up to 3rd gear, practiced parking at the side of a road and in 1 car park, mainly driven on quiet roads, some normal roads, done 1 emergency stop, and done a couple of roundabouts.

She's an older female driving instructor which I thought would make me feel more comfortable but she doesn't seem to have much patience and can panic... Her availability is so limited even though I told her I wanted to have 4-6 hours every week before we started and she agreed this would be fine, but I'm now having them once a week.

On my second lesson I remember stalling - she panicked and said 'sh#t!'. Her own mirrors kept falling off while I was trying to drive. She has been late picking me up. She takes me to the same 'quiet' areas all the time - I've been to the same 2 areas in 8 lessons. I'll ask her where we are going and she'll decide there and then rather than having planned it. I've driven back home once. She doesn't allow me to think for myself but still prompts me when I do - for example, when I'm checking my mirror, she'll say 'check your mirror', and every time I come to a junction to clutch and brake, she sort of braces herself in her chair as if she's terrified, then she tries to break for me and prompts me as if I didn't know I had to give way...

We have a report card/log book (with a scale of 1-9 representing the stage you are at for each skill) and a lot of the things I feel I can do haven't been ticked on the card. My average for only a quarter of those skills is around a score of 6/9. The rest of the skills apparently haven't even been introduced. My 'use of mirrors' is apparently at level 3 which means 'with ease when guided' but I feel completely confident with that

I was meant to have a 4 hour lesson with her today, and another 4 hours tomorrow, but she cut the lesson short because I had a snuffle (recovered from a mild cold this week) and also cancelled my lesson tomorrow! So I had 1 hour today and she didn't even tick anything on my report card.

It also scared me because she said 'yeah people normally have 40-50 lessons' I was like what!!

I'm so frustrated what were your lessons like and do you think I'm progressing too slowly? If I want to change my driving instructor is that okay?
    If you feel she is going too slow then tell her you want to try new things a bit more advanced ! (you are paying her)I believe it may just be her style of teaching, slow and steady which suits some people but not others. Talk to her about it !!!

Luckily my teacher is very keen on doing as much stuff as early as possible I learnt roundabouts and dual carriageways in my first lesson without having driven before.

ReputationRep:
    Slow response but thought I'd give an update - I changed my driving instructor, and he's amazing! I feel so much more confident now. Passed my theory first time and booked my driving test!

~thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tu3z)
    Slow response but thought I'd give an update - I changed my driving instructor, and he's amazing! I feel so much more confident now. Passed my theory first time and booked my driving test!

~thank you for the advice
    Im glad you switched to an instructor you are happy with. Ive only just seen this thread, but i was going to say switch to someone else.
    She didnt sound like a confident instructor. And although there was no harm in taking it a bit "slow and steady" especially if you wherent that confident, but she seemed to be taking "slow and steady" too far, especially with regards to not driving to and from lessons etc. And the cancelling lessons, turning up late etc was never going to be good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tu3z)
    Hi !

There's no right amount of lessons, you have to be ready. I took over 100 lessons and I have passed now. Progress is progress, take your time cuz the more experience the better.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear you passed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.