Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

S2 Edexcel-What way is best for hypothesis testing?? watch

ReputationRep:
    For example Jan 2002 S2 paper Question 2. Would it be better to find the critical region for hypo to be true(which is X>=16) or the way I do it which is to find null hypo and H1 use the X follows Poisson 10 bit cos of the 4 weeks and then proceed

P(X>=14)= 1-P(X<=13)=

1-0.8645=0.1355 which is greater than the 5percent level so there is insufficient evidence to reject H null in favour of H1??? Both ways give a correct solution.

And also when you rewrite PDFs--->CDFs I always get the inequality signs muddled in a sense they are right but I miss a "less than or equal to" sign or "greater than or equal" and just leave it as "greater than." Is this penalised in the exam??

ReputationRep:
    Also Q4 Jun 2003 I have used a rectangular thingy from -5 to 9 which I feel is correct yet they use 0 to 14. I still get the same for d as the answer but why can't it be used as my way??

ReputationRep:
    can u tell me how to find the significance level......for example Jan 03 Q2 pls. thx

ReputationRep:
    Just add up the two nearest probabilities...Well guys answers to the above??

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt matter what values u use as long as they represent the same interval but if u read the question it says " x represents the time AFTER 7:55 when the bus arrives " so time is 0 at 7:55

ReputationRep:
    What about the first part of my question guys any answers??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Pacalypse)
    For example Jan 2002 S2 paper Question 2. Would it be better to find the critical region for hypo to be true(which is X>=16) or the way I do it which is to find null hypo and H1 use the X follows Poisson 10 bit cos of the 4 weeks and then proceed
    here's how I did it.

H0: λ=2.5
    H1: λ>2.5

Let X be the random variable "the number of houses sold in 4 weeks"
    X~Po(10)
    P(X>=14) = 1 - P(X<=13)
    from tables: 1-0.8645 = 0.1355
    which is greater than 0.05, and thus is not significant

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.