S2 Edexcel-What way is best for hypothesis testing??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
2Pacalypse
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
For example Jan 2002 S2 paper Question 2. Would it be better to find the critical region for hypo to be true(which is X>=16) or the way I do it which is to find null hypo and H1 use the X follows Poisson 10 bit cos of the 4 weeks and then proceed

P(X>=14)= 1-P(X<=13)=

1-0.8645=0.1355 which is greater than the 5percent level so there is insufficient evidence to reject H null in favour of H1??? Both ways give a correct solution.

And also when you rewrite PDFs--->CDFs I always get the inequality signs muddled in a sense they are right but I miss a "less than or equal to" sign or "greater than or equal" and just leave it as "greater than." Is this penalised in the exam??
2Pacalypse
Also Q4 Jun 2003 I have used a rectangular thingy from -5 to 9 which I feel is correct yet they use 0 to 14. I still get the same for d as the answer but why can't it be used as my way??
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
can u tell me how to find the significance level......for example Jan 03 Q2 pls. thx
2Pacalypse
Just add up the two nearest probabilities...Well guys answers to the above??
zxcvbnm
Report 15 years ago
it doesnt matter what values u use as long as they represent the same interval but if u read the question it says " x represents the time AFTER 7:55 when the bus arrives " so time is 0 at 7:55
2Pacalypse
What about the first part of my question guys any answers??
kimoni
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2Pacalypse)
For example Jan 2002 S2 paper Question 2. Would it be better to find the critical region for hypo to be true(which is X>=16) or the way I do it which is to find null hypo and H1 use the X follows Poisson 10 bit cos of the 4 weeks and then proceed
here's how I did it.

H0: λ=2.5
H1: λ>2.5

Let X be the random variable "the number of houses sold in 4 weeks"
X~Po(10)
P(X>=14) = 1 - P(X<=13)
from tables: 1-0.8645 = 0.1355
which is greater than 0.05, and thus is not significant
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (55)
44%
Take exams next summer (24)
19.2%
Change uni choice through clearing (30)
24%
Apply to uni next year instead (13)
10.4%
I'm not applying to university (3)
2.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise