Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Volunteer work - science or children Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my first year of sixth form and am looking for volunteering experiences to boost my CV and to help me decide what I want to do. I am studying biology, chemistry, German and maths and am thinking of studying biomedical sciences in university, but I'm not really sure.I went to a nursery for my work experience in year 10 and thoroughly enjoyed working with children. I also coach the younger children of my local swimming club. I love working with children but I can't decide whether I should work with children or pursue a more scientific path.
    I was thinking getting some work experience in both areas would help me decide, but I'm really struggling to come up with ideas for scientific work experiences I'd be allowed to do since I'm only 16. Does anyone have ideas?
    I was also wondering if anyone knows of any volunteer work I could do abroad with children. I like the idea of going to Africa to work with less privileged children, or something similar but I can't find anywhere that will let me do that before I'm 18. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thank you

Hey, for scientific work experience check Nuffield Placements out - I did one last summer and it gave me quite a bit of insight!

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements

As for what you want to do, think about the specific careers in each of the fields and weigh up their pros and cons

ReputationRep:
    I've dropped you a private message OPJD, I hope it finds you in good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Hey, for scientific work experience check Nuffield Placements out - I did one last summer and it gave me quite a bit of insight!

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements

As for what you want to do, think about the specific careers in each of the fields and weigh up their pros and cons
    Thank you so much for this suggestion! I had a look at the website and it sounds really interesting, I'll definitely be applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Langeveldt)
    I've dropped you a private message OPJD, I hope it finds you in good time.
    Thank you for messaging me! I have replied, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

(Original post by OPJD)
    Thank you so much for this suggestion! I had a look at the website and it sounds really interesting, I'll definitely be applying.
    No problem

Be sure to PM me if you want help writing the little personal statement :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you've already decided a path, but I just wanna make this out there for an option http://www.diversityabroad.com/partn...a-rica-program

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.