The Student Room Group

What does a 1st yr Philosophy essay look like?

One of my options for uni next year is maths and philosophy. I've been reading philosophy for on and off for a few years (mature student) but I'm not sure if my writing and critical thinking is at a good enough level as I have been out of education for some time.

Does anyone have any example essays from first year students (preferably with the grade) so I can get an idea what is expected?

Many thanks
I don't, as mine went in the bin (and were thrown together at 4am like many first year essays are so would be of no use to you).

What I will say is that you don't need to worry. Almost nobody will be able to write university level philosophy essays at first so sufficient time and effort will be put into teaching all of you the requisite skills. If I were you I would concentrate on your knowledge as that will give you breathing room to focus on essay technique if that is something that worries you. Read some Heidegger, listen to some Rorty :tongue:
Reply 2
If by 'reading philosophy' you mean self-study, I would suggest not trying to incorporate extraneous content from your self-study readings into your initial essays because you need to be criticized on the basis of how you synthesise what you've learned from the module. Initially, there are higher marks to be found in demonstrating mastery of learned content from your module than demonstrating a mediocre grasp of learned content from self-study. Hope all goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending