Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you drink while on antidepressants ? Watch

Announcements

My gp recommends I take SSRI antidepressants for my anxiety and depression that's has been going on for a while. If any of you know or have been on them can you drink while you take them? as in the same day ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's not really recommended. Ime, drinking on SSRIs makes you get drunk quite a bit quicker. When I was on citalopram I could drink 2 pints and be done for the night.

Erm I'm on antidepressants and I've drunk alcohol and I'm still alive soooo....:erm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I tried drinking once and it made me feel a lot worse in the morning.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Its not recommended, especially when you are first starting them out and you aren't fully out of the side effect stage. As far as I know, taking antidepressants and drinking can make you feel extra drowsy or make you feel drunk quicker. My mum has been on antidepressants for about 12 years now and drinks like everyone else but she will be used to her tablets by now but I remember she didn't drink at all for the first year on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked this question whilst at an appointment with my GP about my antidepressants, and I was told that the odd glass of wine in the evening won't be detrimental. Apparently, drinking one glass of wine whilst on antidepressants is the equivalent of drinking two glasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My gp recommends I take SSRI antidepressants for my anxiety and depression that's has been going on for a while. If any of you know or have been on them can you drink while you take them? as in the same day ?
    my friend almost died doing that, don't drink when on medication at all, are you stupid?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's not recommended. Remember that alcohol is a depressant. Typically, you'll feel drunk more with less alcohol than you'd usually consume otherwise. There are probably long-term effects too. SSRIs themselves have plenty of side-effects, so you should at least wait a couple of weeks before consuming alcohol - and even then - don't overdo it.

This is something that you should perhaps discuss with your GP and they can then advise you on your drinking habits.

On another note, if you don't like how the SSRIs affect you, ask your GP about Mirtazapine.

(Original post by Justmoll28)
    my friend almost died doing that, don't drink when on medication at all, are you stupid?
    No need for that in this forum.

There are countless medications in the world, you can't really tell the OP not to drink on medication - maybe let the doctor decide that.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on antidepressants on and off (currently OFF for over 2 years ) and still drank while on them. Modern day antidepressants are a lot safer, they are not like the old ones where simply eating cheese on them could be fatal! However.....alcohol is a depressant so drinking on them counteracts what they are doing to improve your mood! And you will find that you actually want to drink less anyway on ADs - and any drink you have will have more of an effect on them so if you DO drink on them, best take it easy although I would not throw any official 'limits' at you as now the Government are saying there is no safe limit for any of us antidepressants or otherwise!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.