Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level choices? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am basically having a mid life crisis at the moment. On top of the fact we are less than half way through the syllabus in sciences and the exams are 13 weeks away, I have to choose my A-levels, which is turning out to be incredibly difficult.

Six months ago I knew exactly what I was going to do with my life. I was going to become a composer, but recently that has changed, due to a) my desire to actually benefit people in my life and b) the fact that composing is an incredibly difficult field to get into.

I love philosophy, especially existentialism and metaphysics. I also am fascinated by politics, and am very influenced by Marx and Bakunin. I also love theoretical physics - quantum mechanics, string theory etc. I love reading and music generally.

Here is the issue - all these interests lead elsewhere, with other A-level choices.
    If I took physics, I would almost certainly have to take maths, and possibly further maths. Philosophy, since I believe that the reasons we think are intrinsically linked with the brain, psychology is a must. Politics is matched with economics and sociology. And music is my passion, and I am very advanced in my English analysis skills. However, I cannot take nine A-levels.

Now, since I am not great at maths, and do not enjoy it as much, I think I shall have to say goodbye to physics, which is a shame, because it is also tied to philosophy, so I am somewhat upset by that.

With regards to English, it is a subject I thoroughly enjoy, and excel at, but do I need an A-level to be able to say that I can understand literature? And music, well, I love it, honestly there is nothing I love better, but is it practical? Do I really want to dedicate my life to it?

So this leaves me with Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Psychology and Sociology. Now, the decision is really between Sociology and Psychology. Is sociology covered in Politics and Economics sufficiently to not have to take the course, or is it necessary to understand political theory - how society works, and what can and can't succeed.

But Psychology, do we not need to understand the individual human mind to understand the way we live, the way we form societies, the way we form beliefs, is it not necessary to both Politics and Philosophy? Or does it only have a slight overlap, but not one significant enough to use up an A-level choice? Do I really need to know how to predict behaviour for Politics or Philosophy.

However, then I keep coming back to the thought - I love literature, or I have always wanted to do Music with my life, six months of doubt can't mean I should not do Music at A-level. Would my logic suffer if I did not take Physics, along with my Philosophy.

If I were to take my subjects according to what I think I would do best in, I would choose Music, Philosophy, English Literature and probably Politics, but I am just not sure. I terms of what I would learn most from, probably Philosophy, Politics, Economics and Psychology or Sociology, I am not sure. On the other hand, Physics and Philosophy go together so beautifully and it would really enhance my skills as a thinker.

In terms of what I want to do for life, I have so many ideas. Of course, being a composer is one. Writer is another. Theoretical physicist seems fascinating, as does being a philosopher. Or a politician, or even better, a travelling preacher of Marxism or revolutionary.

However, they all have their downsides. With music, it's incredibly competitive, and I would never settle for anything but the best. I am not good enough at maths or physics currently to become a physicist, and how would I earn a living as a philosopher. I would hate being part of the 'Westminster elite', and a travelling Marxist - is it really viable?

Please help me, I have very little time for decisions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I replied to your identical thread in the A Level forum.

For future reference please don't post the same thing several times!

ReputationRep:
    Do the things you the most without thinking about results because if you enjoy them you're more likely to do better because you will like the lessons and doing work out of school

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.