Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Friend" getting on my last nerve- help? Watch

Announcements

So I have this friend or at least she's meant to be my friend. We get along pretty well, we have a very similar type of humour. I've never really had any reason to dislike her but that's quickly changing. She's become so competitive, she almost has a superiority complex. She has to be better than me or when she does something embarrassing or makes mistakes her first responsr is to redirect attention to me by somehow making me look stupid and making her look better. Basically always feels the need to one up me and it's getting on my last nerve. And to add to that she got really annoyed at me for talking and spending time with other friends or people which honestly pissed me off. The obvious answer is to stop being friends with her but I'm literally the only friend she has at the moment and I don't have the heart to leave her all by herself no matter how awful she is at times. There also another reason which is a bit long and don't particularly feel like sharing. Any advice??? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    She sounds quite insecure, while I agree she shouldn't be acting like this I think you need to cut her some slack to an extent, don't be a pushover but I doubt she's actually doing these things out of spite. Have you spoken to her about this? At the end of the day she needs to know where she's going wrong and you are under no obligation on to be friends with her if you feel like it's having a negative effect in you but she may well just be a bit clueless and is too concerned about what others think of her. I'd speak directly to her and ask her why she's doing hear things and make sure she understands that you don't appreciate it, if she doesn't stop then you need to do what's best for yourself which may be ending your friendship, hope this helps, good luck op!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have this friend or at least she's meant to be my friend. We get along pretty well, we have a very similar type of humour. I've never really had any reason to dislike her but that's quickly changing. She's become so competitive, she almost has a superiority complex. She has to be better than me or when she does something embarrassing or makes mistakes her first responsr is to redirect attention to me by somehow making me look stupid and making her look better. Basically always feels the need to one up me and it's getting on my last nerve. And to add to that she got really annoyed at me for talking and spending time with other friends or people which honestly pissed me off. The obvious answer is to stop being friends with her but I'm literally the only friend she has at the moment and I don't have the heart to leave her all by herself no matter how awful she is at times. There also another reason which is a bit long and don't particularly feel like sharing. Any advice??? Thanks
    Maybe you could mention it to her and just say if you don't stop doing it then you don't want to be friends with her anymore. I can understand that is difficult to say though. Maybe next time she does something just say, don't do that please I don't like it?

(Original post by Blondie987)
    She sounds quite insecure, while I agree she shouldn't be acting like this I think you need to cut her some slack to an extent, don't be a pushover but I doubt she's actually doing these things out of spite. Have you spoken to her about this? At the end of the day she needs to know where she's going wrong and you are under no obligation on to be friends with her if you feel like it's having a negative effect in you but she may well just be a bit clueless and is too concerned about what others think of her. I'd speak directly to her and ask her why she's doing hear things and make sure she understands that you don't appreciate it, if she doesn't stop then you need to do what's best for yourself which may be ending your friendship, hope this helps, good luck op!
    She's hasn't had the best of lives and has battled mental health issues prior so I don't really have the heart to confront her on anything really because she already has a lot on her plate which I guess has made me a bit of a pushover I definitely do cut her some slack because I'm aware that's she's quite insecure buts it's hard when she deals with those insecurities by playing with mine although she may not intentionally see it. I tried to be stern the last time she did something that didn't quite sit right with me but she just kinda brushed it off. Idk I just feel like I'm compromising my happiness for hers which isn't really fair. Thanks for the advice though! Sorry if this is a bit long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She's hasn't had the best of lives and has battled mental health issues prior so I don't really have the heart to confront her on anything really because she already has a lot on her plate which I guess has made me a bit of a pushover I definitely do cut her some slack because I'm aware that's she's quite insecure buts it's hard when she deals with those insecurities by playing with mine although she may not intentionally see it. I tried to be stern the last time she did something that didn't quite sit right with me but she just kinda brushed it off. Idk I just feel like I'm compromising my happiness for hers which isn't really fair. Thanks for the advice though! Sorry if this is a bit long
    No problem, I'm definitely not saying you should take it or anything, stand up for yourself, you don't deserve to be treated badly especially by someone you consider a friend. I'm just saying you should try to understand her reasoning to help her get past it and if you do decide to stop being friends, try not to think of her as a bad person. Is she getting help for her mh problems?

ReputationRep:
    A friend does not get on your last nerve. Best freinds get on your nerves because they know they can be themselves and usally someone being themselvs does get on others nervs. Their wild and don't stop talking. Like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.