Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questioning Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 14 years old.
    I understand that this is quite a young age and that I have a large portion of my life ahead of me, but for the past few years, almost as soon as I started to go through puberty, I have started to question my sexuality. Now, I know this could be a side-affect of my hormones etc, but it's driving me mad that I don't know who I am.
    Some time last year, I told my mum that I was questioning my sexuality and she said that she would be ok with that, but also suggested that this could be because of my hormones. I understood what she was getting at and agreed, however it has almost been a year since I told her this and I am yet to know my own sexual orientation.
    Although I am in my teenage years already, not once in my life have I had a crush on someone whether it be a male or female. I've also never been in a relationship with someone. I have been thinking about trying out being in a relationship with someone, but if I don't have feelings for them, then what's the point? I want to do so many things that could quite possibly help me figure out my sexuality, but there are a lot of things holding me back.
    I handful of my friends have told me that they wouldn't mind about my sexuality, that it wouldn't make a difference, but I was to really come out as lesbian or bi etc I'm worried what they would say.
    Another friend of mine is homophobic and I wouldn't like to ruin our friendship just because of my sexuality, that's why I haven't told them that I'm questioning.
    I want to try out being in a relationship with both genders to see how I feel, but there's no one that would agree to being in a relationship with me and I don't want to embarrass myself by asking someone out and them rejecting me.

If you have any advice at all for me, then please let me know. I'm desperate for your help.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namsjin)
    I'm 14 years old.
    I understand that this is quite a young age and that I have a large portion of my life ahead of me, but for the past few years, almost as soon as I started to go through puberty, I have started to question my sexuality. Now, I know this could be a side-affect of my hormones etc, but it's driving me mad that I don't know who I am.
    Some time last year, I told my mum that I was questioning my sexuality and she said that she would be ok with that, but also suggested that this could be because of my hormones. I understood what she was getting at and agreed, however it has almost been a year since I told her this and I am yet to know my own sexual orientation.
    Although I am in my teenage years already, not once in my life have I had a crush on someone whether it be a male or female. I've also never been in a relationship with someone. I have been thinking about trying out being in a relationship with someone, but if I don't have feelings for them, then what's the point? I want to do so many things that could quite possibly help me figure out my sexuality, but there are a lot of things holding me back.
    I handful of my friends have told me that they wouldn't mind about my sexuality, that it wouldn't make a difference, but I was to really come out as lesbian or bi etc I'm worried what they would say.
    Another friend of mine is homophobic and I wouldn't like to ruin our friendship just because of my sexuality, that's why I haven't told them that I'm questioning.
    I want to try out being in a relationship with both genders to see how I feel, but there's no one that would agree to being in a relationship with me and I don't want to embarrass myself by asking someone out and them rejecting me.

If you have any advice at all for me, then please let me know. I'm desperate for your help.
    I'll start by saying you're still young, so there's no need to rush into anything At 14 I never had any feelings for anyone like that, and it wasn't for a couple years later that I actually got feelings for someone. As you say, if you don't have feelings, then what's the point... to me, I wanted to wait till I did have feelings for someone.

Some people I know, they wouldn't call themselves bi, but they have had relationships with guys and girls, and they always said that to them, guy or girl didn't matter, they just wanted to be with someone that they liked as a person, not their sex. You may find that that's the case, and that's cool, you may not have feelings for someone for some time, and then you will, and then you might want to experiment then - just whatever you feel comfortable with is best!

With regard to your friend who is homosexual, I wouldn't have that as a reason for not exploring who you like... if they're a really good friend, they will understand and support you - personally, if it were me, and they didn't support me, I'd tell them to get lost!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much you've helped a bunch!
    Take care 💕

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.