Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My grades are Dreadful and I NEED to improve!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Tarun Bansal-Bhandal I am 13/14 in Yr.9.

The problem is that I am currentalt in Year 9 and in the bottom set for Maths and Science (x3) My grades are really crap and in GCSE I very much fear that the grades I achieve there, will not be adequate enough for further education or when I go to Uni.

It does like this (I stopped doing a language in year 8)

Maths - F+
    Science - E
    English - D-

I know for year 9 that is crap.

Here's the thing back in year 7 I was in x2 (middle set); I was bullied excessively that year was such dial and believed that I will never get a job and that my life was pointless so didn't frankly care being moved down next year as a majority of my peers in my set had a strong dislike towards me, so in year 8 when I moved down I was happy but when my mom found out about how I was she was very disappointed, despite the fact she didn't respond in an especially hostile manner.

So in year 8 I tried to do better but I had other issues occurring that year that I do not want to discuss in an extensive detail.

The grades I achieved towards the end of year 8 where no better than the grades I achieved for my stats!!!! (English/Science Discluded)

In tests I do now I am getting D+ and C grades for maths exams so I'm doing fine there but I want to have a A or B in year 10 so I get in the top 3 sets in year 10 where all my friends will be and where I would feel a stronger self worth (there will be sev sets in year 10 there is only 3 for X and Y in Key stage 3)

I want to do just as good for science I am doing tuition for both currently to improve my grades for science as they are stil not that good.

I would mind being in set 4/5 for English in year 10.

So other than tuition how else can I improve my grades like further studying online I am willing to commit the effort needed for a better grade so what else can I do as I only go Tution once a week.

ReputationRep:
    sigh i wish your problems were mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousduck)
    sigh i wish your problems were mine
    LOL same

Buy some CGP guides for your exam boards? Ask question if you don't understand? Just work hard and work a lot :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    LOL same

Buy some CGP guides for your exam boards? Ask question if you don't understand? Just work hard and work a lot :-)

Okay I have done that my mom had ordered some books for revising and learning, but are there any other ways as well such at any websites that could help me steadily but surely improve my grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    LOL same

No I meant I wish I was in year 9 again :lol: and worrying about grades that don't really matter, in fact I wish I was doing GCSE's again...

ReputationRep:
    No I meant I wish I was in year 9 again :lol: and worrying about grades that don't really matter, in fact I wish I was doing GCSE's again...

How old r u now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T0RUN)
    Okay I have done that my mom had ordered some books for revising and learning, but are there any other ways as well such at any websites that could help me steadily but surely improve my grades.
    BBC Bitesize is good. Best thing to do is to just make notes from revision guides, do past papers, and pay attention in lessons? IDK It should be fine you have aaaages

Yeah I know I was agreeing with that HAHA I replied to the OP in the same post :-)
    I'm doing A2s now lol fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T0RUN)
    How old r u now?

(Original post by Azula)
    Yeah I know I was agreeing with that HAHA I replied to the OP in the same post :-)
    I'm doing A2s now lol fun
    Ohhhh :rofl: I thought you were telling ME to buy some CGP books :lol:

ReputationRep:

Ohhhh :rofl: I thought you were telling ME to buy some CGP books :lol:
    I'm 17 too!! HAHA Lol nooo although I still use them :lol:

ReputationRep:
    C/D grades in Year 9? LOL you're on track please calm down

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say your grades are bad, but if you do want better grades here are some tips. If you're in Year 9 aren't you doing the new GCSE's with the number grades?

These tips pretty much only apply for science and geography.

Once you get home, summarise the work you've done in lessons and write the summary on a notebook or something and read over your class notes - I like highlighting them. I usually go and read everything about the topic on revision guides and bitesize as soon as I found out what the topic is. Also, when you do the tests, make sure you revise effectively - only reading your notes isn't that effective - especially for Year 9 end of topic exams. Revision Cards - 8 to an A4 page are often useful, but more importantly mini quizzes. I don't actually know what you're meant to call them but just those flashcard with the questions on one side and the answers on the other side. And don't be tempted to flick the card before knowing the answer. The more questions you can think of the better. E.g you have a test on cells
    Q: what is the function of a chloroplast
    A: to about sunlight for photosynthesis

Hope the advice helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *absorb sunlight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Learn early that hard work pays off. Get a schedule, habitual learning is easy and feel natural. I'm at uni now, but I let my GCSEs creep up on me and I didn't do as good as I could have done. Most of the time there is no substitute for hard work - if you try hard enough you will get exactly what you want. I know more than most people that one simple thing can change your grades.

If you are unhappy in life or these 'events' are occurring, don't see them as a distraction from work, but see work as a distraction from them. See it as "other bad stuff is happening, but at least I'm getting on track with my work - that's something positive".

ReputationRep:
    don't stress lad. CGP guides are the answer to your problems

ReputationRep:
    As above, CGP was my saviour!

Moreover, you still have plenty of time! Fret not, if you're improving now a few years down the line (when results become more important) you'll be doing just fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    C/D grades in Year 9? LOL you're on track please calm down

Thanks But I do wish that my grades were better here are them in recent tests

Maths - D+
    Physics - C+
    Biology - E+
    Chemisty - F

I would want a B by the end f the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zealable)
    I wouldn't say your grades are bad, but if you do want better grades here are some tips. If you're in Year 9 aren't you doing the new GCSE's with the number grades?

These tips pretty much only apply for science and geography.

Once you get home, summarise the work you've done in lessons and write the summary on a notebook or something and read over your class notes - I like highlighting them. I usually go and read everything about the topic on revision guides and bitesize as soon as I found out what the topic is. Also, when you do the tests, make sure you revise effectively - only reading your notes isn't that effective - especially for Year 9 end of topic exams. Revision Cards - 8 to an A4 page are often useful, but more importantly mini quizzes. I don't actually know what you're meant to call them but just those flashcard with the questions on one side and the answers on the other side. And don't be tempted to flick the card before knowing the answer. The more questions you can think of the better. E.g you have a test on cells
    Q: what is the function of a chloroplast
    A: to about sunlight for photosynthesis

Hope the advice helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks 4 the advice.
    Yes I am doing the new 1-9 grading system

BTW I don't do geography 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T0RUN)
    I used to watch lots of YouTube videos when revising for those subjects and it was a successful method for me.

I was also bullied quite bad in year 8 because I was a teachers pet. This made me want to mess around so I could start making friends. Unfortunately all that messing around back lashed and I went to lower sets . Eventually I moved schools because of travelling issues and managed to make friends and become a lot happier which resulted in good grades for my GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    I used to watch lots of YouTube videos when revising for those subjects and it was a successful method for me.

I was also bullied quite bad in year 8 because I was a teachers pet. This made me want to mess around so I could start making friends. Unfortunately all that messing around back lashed and I went to lower sets . Eventually I moved schools because of travelling issues and managed to make friends and become a lot happier which resulted in good grades for my GCSE's.
    Seems good!
    I was bullied due to having a vitiligo and everyone used to harrising me about it in PE classes and due to the fact most students just had really spiteful attitudes towards me.

Do you think I can go from

Science E to a B
    Maths F+ to a A by the end of the year ?

ReputationRep:
    hey don't worry too much, you've still got loads of time to improve! work hard and you will get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.