Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failing to deliver on a promise to myself Watch

Announcements

Well basically, at primary school I was easily the smartest.
    At secondary school, I'm still up there, but there are people that outclass me.
    I want to beat them.
    I want to be the very best.
    Like no one ever was.
    I feel like I will have failed myself if I don't get all A*s, yet I know that my achilles heel subjects won't let me accomplish.

I need some proof that not being a ****head pays off. (When I compare myself to some of my peers)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Comparing yourself to other people isn't going to help you one bit. Getting below an A* isn't a failure.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that at primary school, you were competing with, what, 20 peers in your year? At secondary this will run into the hundreds. At college and uni, only the brighter will go so just because you are 'top' of your year' at primary doesn't mean you will maintain that through simple statistics.
    Also, people peak academically at different times. I was top of my year at secondary out of about 170, 4th in college but got a Third at Uni, in some ways I had 'burnt out' academically and arguably personally. A good friend of mine was in middle sets in Year 9, very middling in end of KS3 SATS but top in college (and is now a doctor!)

All A*s are NOT everything (and are you sure it is YOU who wants it or stereotypically pushy parents?) A well rounded personality and interests outside of academia are needed to be successful in Life generally!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.