Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I study at a very liberal (perhaps even a little more liberal than I am) small college in the US. Next Autumn I'll be studying abroad in the UK, and would like to know which of these universities may suit me best: Glasgow, QMUL, Edinburgh or Goldsmith's.

I'm a real city guy, and my younger sister may be going to London next semester as well, so I'm really into living around. Still, Glasgow and Edinburgh may win in other points.

I'm looking for a pretty vibrant and creative student community (the only one I know of is Goldsmith's, and it's pretty much on point. No need for all the activism, though). I am also, however, looking for extremely intellectual students, and from what I've been able to judge, Goldsmith's attracts students from another tier. Great academics is also a must.

I will be studying anything between Comp Sci, Neuro, Design and/or Philosophy.

Thank you very much for your help. I really don't know much of the universities

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh and Glasgow are the more academic unis on your list. Edinburgh probably is a bit more conservative while Glasgow slightly more liberal, but very likely all British unis bar Oxbridge are liberal enough for most Americans. Edinburgh has more international students and Americans while Glasgow has more Scottish students.

Don't know much about QMUL or Goldsmith's though so can't help with that.

ReputationRep:
    rah no need to be so snobby
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampaio)
    Hello guys,

I study at a very liberal (perhaps even a little more liberal than I am) small college in the US. Next Autumn I'll be studying abroad in the UK, and would like to know which of these universities may suit me best: Glasgow, QMUL, Edinburgh or Goldsmith's.

I'm a real city guy, and my younger sister may be going to London next semester as well, so I'm really into living around. Still, Glasgow and Edinburgh may win in other points.

I'm looking for a pretty vibrant and creative student community (the only one I know of is Goldsmith's, and it's pretty much on point. No need for all the activism, though). I am also, however, looking for extremely intellectual students, and from what I've been able to judge, Goldsmith's attracts students from another tier. Great academics is also a must.

I will be studying anything between Comp Sci, Neuro, Design and/or Philosophy.

Thank you very much for your help. I really don't know much of the universities
    As others have said, I wouldn't worry so much about politics and being "liberal" - it's a common feature at most UK universities. I'm not sure about the "vibrant and creative student community" bit though - in every university there will be a wide range of societies for creative things and the social life at many UK universities is generally considered more party-like than the US (mostly down to the drinking age I'd guess). I can't bring to mind any universities having a particular reputation for being vibrant and creative though, maybe it's less of a focus in the UK.

As others have said, Glasgow and Edinburgh are the more academic and "well-respected" universities on your list, with Goldsmiths being quite far down most league tables. That being said, the structure/ content/ extra opportunities of the course is probably a more important thing in making university decisions.

I notice you have listed four incredibly different degree subjects - have you applied yet? What did you study before? I can't imagine anyones A level (or international equivalent) subject combination being able to meet the entrance requirements for all of those subjects :/ (Computer science will probably require maths and another science like physics, Neuro will need Biology and Chemistry, Design will need more creative subjects and a solid portfolio, philosophy will need more essay based subjects, bear in mind that most UK students study three or four A level subjects)

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh and Glasgow because I don't believe the student experience in London is very good. It's expensive and lacks any sort of community feel.
    Edinburgh is the more left wing, their SU policies reflect this. Safe space, etc

Glasgow is my personal preference because it's cheaper, has two SUs, and the city is less filled with tourists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.