Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to break up Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been seeing a male friend of mine, on and off, for the past few months. We broke it off before because we weren't sure what we wanted. But then i started to get really strong feelings for him so we started seeing each other again.

But now I feel like it isn't going anywhere and would never work long-term.

He's 29 and I'm only 21. He isn't happy with his life and always moans about it but never does anything to change it - his job, his living situation, everything. I find this really frustrating because I want to do something with my life. I am trying so hard to keep myself motivated in life but his laziness doesn't help. I feel like we would frustrate each other. It feels as though we are somewhat incompatible in terms of long-term.

He's also very non- committal. 29 years old and after months of dating he's never made a move to ask me to be his girlfriend or anything.

Having said that, we were good friends before getting together and I'm worried about falling out with him if I break it off. I know he is a good guy deep down and don't want to hurt him

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering it, you probably already know the true answer in your heart.
    Sometimes letting a person go is a good thing. It might be the kickstart he needs to getting his life on track, who knows?

If you're not happy at least, let's say, 70% of the time with him then it's probably not right. I mean, you have a life too, you deserve to live it, and you're in the prime of your life right now. It just depends if you're able to actually do it, or if you'd end up back with him after a week.

Plus, if he's non-committal, you've got a higher chance that he won't mind as much when you break it off. So you might be able to stay friends. That being said, I'll stay neutral here. If you love him enough, and you think he does too, and you're willing to fight the issues to make it work, you should do so! Sounds like he's a nice guy, even through the little faults.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh just break up with him. You're obviously not compatible.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.