The Student Room Group

English GCSE Resit Private HELP?

Hi i currently have a low grade in english (below a C). My old teacher has advised me to sit it privately now as thats the only option now.

the thing is i have no clue about anything about doing it privately.

if anyone has done this before or knows anything could they let me know:

-the cost

-time it would take

-where or who to do it from

-any other useful information

btw I'm not sure if this is the right category for it but i didn't know where else to put it.

thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by 822
Hi i currently have a low grade in english (below a C). My old teacher has advised me to sit it privately now as thats the only option now.

if anyone has done this before or knows anything could they let me know:
-the cost
-time it would take
-where or who to do it from
-any other useful information

If your controlled assessment is OK then you can just pay to take the exam this summer - the simplest place to do this is your current centre (talk to your exam officer), particularly as the entry deadline is effectively next week.

The entry fee the exam centre pays the exam board varies between £30 and £55 but even if you are just taking the exam they are likely to charge you anything up to £150 by the time their admin costs have been added on - your own college would be much the cheapest.

GCSE English is only available in November and the Summer, if you want to enroll on a course then your next chance is probably September.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
If your controlled assessment is OK then you can just pay to take the exam this summer - the simplest place to do this is your current centre (talk to your exam officer), particularly as the entry deadline is effectively next week.

The entry fee the exam centre pays the exam board varies between £30 and £55 but even if you are just taking the exam they are likely to charge you anything up to £150 by the time their admin costs have been added on - your own college would be much the cheapest.

GCSE English is only available in November (entry and the Summer, if you want to enroll on a course then your next chance is probably September.

What if I havent got my controlled assessment? what would i have to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 822
What if I havent got my controlled assessment? what would i have to do?

The exam board has the marks, you just need to say you want to carry them forward when you enter for the re-sit.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
The exam board has the marks, you just need to say you want to carry them forward when you enter for the re-sit.

and what if my controlled assessment results are bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by 822
and what if my controlled assessment results are bad

Then you either need to enroll on a GCSE course (which means you probably won't be able to take the GCSE until Summer 2017) or switch to an IGCSE which is assessed by exam only - if you think you are good enough to pass that,
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Then you either need to enroll on a GCSE course (which means you probably won't be able to take the GCSE until Summer 2017) or switch to an IGCSE which is assessed by exam only - if you think you are good enough to pass that,

whats the difference between gcse and igcse?

and cant i do the controlled assessment privately?

sorry for all the questions but i need to know what i can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest