The Student Room Group

Is Medicine a possibility?

Basically I have been wandering if I am capable of getting into medicine due some odd circumstances. So long story short , when I was in year 9 my family had to move back to Brazil due them being English teachers and a they were offered a job in Brazil. I ended up leaving school with no GCSE's and moving to Brazil at the age of 14 with a basic level of portuguese. I managed to get a scholarship at a private school which prepares students for medicine and they try to guarantee that they will get the students get into the best universities. I am now in the last year of school and I went from being the worst student which had a basic level of portuguese to now be one of the top students that of which has a decent portuguese. I was even able to pass the preliminary exam to get into the best university here a year earlier than a normal student should.So I am planning on returning to the uk at the end of the year and my qualifications will be more than a GCSE but less than an a level , so many universities require a levels for you to get inro the the undergraduate course. Regarding my grades i am expected to get at least 13 a grades at school and some a few a * 's. Is medicine a viable option for me if I get good A level grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iannascimento
Basically I have been wandering if I am capable of getting into medicine due some odd circumstances. So long story short , when I was in year 9 my family had to move back to Brazil due them being English teachers and a they were offered a job in Brazil. I ended up leaving school with no GCSE's and moving to Brazil at the age of 14 with a basic level of portuguese. I managed to get a scholarship at a private school which prepares students for medicine and they try to guarantee that they will get the students get into the best universities. I am now in the last year of school and I went from being the worst student which had a basic level of portuguese to now be one of the top students that of which has a decent portuguese. I was even able to pass the preliminary exam to get into the best university here a year earlier than a normal student should.So I am planning on returning to the uk at the end of the year and my qualifications will be more than a GCSE but less than an a level , so many universities require a levels for you to get inro the the undergraduate course. Regarding my grades i am expected to get at least 13 a grades at school and some a few a * 's. Is medicine a viable option for me if I get good A level grades?

You will need to contact unis you are interested in and see if they'll accept your qualifications and whether or not you'll need to do a levels. I don't see a reason you won't be able to get in eventually, but they may have additional requirements (eg A levels) before they'll accept you.

Quick Reply