Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does my car shake ( and engine ) when turn engine off ? please help me Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Please, please help me, this is so frustrating.

A friend did a job on my car a while back, while working on it he told me something was jammed into or near my engine mounts and he removed whatever it was. he also said 1 mount was bad. later on I ask him to replace mount and he says he can't remember seeing anything wrong with the mount but he is so dozy and is often like this.
    As soon as I got back in my car , every time I Switch engine off the car shakes violently , also looked at the engine as it was being turned off and it shakes a lot as though it has a lot of play in it.

A different mechanic friend briefly checked engine mount by rocking engine and by having my put ebrake on and accelerating but he says the mounts seem fine ????????

Now I hear a very loud rattling noise when engine is turned off too and I think the violent judder each time the engine is turned off has loosened something hence the cause of the rattle.

any ideas ?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like deiseling

You are driving a car knowing that your intake/ fuel ratios are toast, because the wiring has been butchered. This causes massive carbon build up

The carbon gets hot and continues to glow red hot after the ignition is switched off. This burns excess fuel but randomly, so the engine is not at the optimum balance point when ignition happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    Sounds like deiseling

You are driving a car knowing that your intake/ fuel ratios are toast, because the wiring has been butchered. This causes massive carbon build up

The carbon gets hot and continues to glow red hot after the ignition is switched off. This burns excess fuel but randomly, so the engine is not at the optimum balance point when ignition happens
    Only applies to (carbureted) petrol engines. Diesels stop by cutting the fuel injection so there's no excess fuel left to burn.

ReputationRep:
    But his electrics are bodged up so his injectors are possibly not receiving the correct info
    Deiseling is mainly a normally aspirated issue but can happen if somebody messes with the ecu

If you read the litany of issues this guy has , it is hard to tell what he's not messed up

ReputationRep:
    But his electrics are bodged up so his injectors are possibly not receiving the correct info
    Deiseling is mainly a normally aspirated issue but can happen if somebody messes with the ecu

If you read the litany of issues this guy has , it is hard to tell what he's not messed up
    But it never did this before my friend said he had removed something that was jammed into the engine mounts, as soon as I got back in the car after he removed whatever it was from the engine mount it instantly happened from then, a violent thud every time engine is turned off and engine shakes violently.
    The wires were bodged up several weeks after this issue occurred so has nothing to do with the wiring because it was already like this previously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Only applies to (carbureted) petrol engines. Diesels stop by cutting the fuel injection so there's no excess fuel left to burn.
    see above please

ReputationRep:

No, once the ignition switch is off no more injection pulses will be sent to the injectors. In mechanical injection systems it would just continue to run. The only way a diesel engine will get into dieseling is if there is another source of combustible fuel - typically an oil leak through the turbo, but that tends to lead to runaway acceleration.
    (Original post by I love life)
    see above please
    As I said in one of your (many) other threads, I'm done trying to help you until you actually listen to the advice you're given.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.