Btec l3 extended diploma in computing has exams?????

Watch this thread
Axlerod
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in computing/IT alongside maths a level and was under the impression that btecs are 100% coursework based. However the college I want to go to that does the btec has some exams as part of the assessment. I just want to know how difficult are these exams, will I be able to handle the work load alongside a maths a level and should I try find another college that does it all as only coursework?
Please help, I'd really appreciate it!
(The exam board for the btec is Pearson btw)
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Axlerod)
I want to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in computing/IT alongside maths a level and was under the impression that btecs are 100% coursework based. However the college I want to go to that does the btec has some exams as part of the assessment. I just want to know how difficult are these exams, will I be able to handle the work load alongside a maths a level and should I try find another college that does it all as only coursework?
Please help, I'd really appreciate it!
(The exam board for the btec is Pearson btw)
I believe that its new this year, you will still have to learn the same amount of content as the old specification so I wouldnt worry too much

I had a few exams on my BTEC in IT/Computing and all they were used for was to quickley assess if you had a strong enough understanding of the criteria which would, in most cases be assessed by C/W
Axlerod
Rep:
(Original post by yt7777)
I believe that its new this year, you will still have to learn the same amount of content as the old specification so I wouldnt worry too much

I had a few exams on my BTEC in IT/Computing and all they were used for was to quickley assess if you had a strong enough understanding of the criteria which would, in most cases be assessed by C/W
Well I've found two colleges, the one I want to go to has the exams and the other one is full coursework. Which would you recommend I have a more chance of hitting all distinctions in?
yt7777
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well I've found two colleges, the one I want to go to has the exams and the other one is full coursework. Which would you recommend I have a more chance of hitting all distinctions in?
It depends on what you prefer

you have to learn the same content anyway, I got D*D*D* in mine and each of my units totalled around 10,000 words and it was a lot of work so in that sense having a few exams might not be too bad, however, I learnt so much from actually doing the coursework because in a way you get a bit more freedom in terms of what you research and write about and the extra reading that I was doing while working towards getting the criteria was really useful
Axlerod
Rep:
It depends on what you prefer

you have to learn the same content anyway, I got D*D*D* in mine and each of my units totalled around 10,000 words and it was a lot of work so in that sense having a few exams might not be too bad, however, I learnt so much from actually doing the coursework because in a way you get a bit more freedom in terms of what you research and write about and the extra reading that I was doing while working towards getting the criteria was really useful
The one thing that's playing on my mind atm is with coursework if it's not up to scratch I think you can improve on it, I'm guessing that's not the same with the exams? Wouldn't wanna resit another year 😦
yt7777
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The one thing that's playing on my mind atm is with coursework if it's not up to scratch I think you can improve on it, I'm guessing that's not the same with the exams? Wouldn't wanna resit another year 😦
I think the regulations on CW resubmissions have changed too so i dont think you should be even allowed to resubmit that
Axlerod
Rep:
I think the regulations on CW resubmissions have changed too so i dont think you should be even allowed to resubmit that
This is the course structure on the college website
Unit 1 Principles of Computer Science: Examination
Unit 2 Planning and Management of Computer Projects: Examination
Unit 3 Building Computer Systems: Coursework
Unit 4 IT Systems Security: Coursework

And this is a link to a sample examination
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...er-Science.pdf

Is this something you would've able to do when you were at college and is any of this similar to when you did your course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (39)
70.91%
No (12)
21.82%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
7.27%

Watched Threads