Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to the gym - put on unwanted weight? (female) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreamer*)
    How about we compromise and recommend that I eat something small before working out, like a banana or something
    You don't need to compromise with anyone. Try a few different ways and go with what feels best for you, you'll soon find something that works for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *Dreamer* Why don't you set up a fitness blog? Here's the other fitness blogs. It's really good way to get motivation
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, would definitely appreciate some advice

So I'm usually around 5"4 and just over 8 and a half stone. I over indulged a bit over Christmas yet managed to not really put on any weight, but decided to hit the gym more this New Year to stay fit. I just randomly weighed myself and was quite shocked to see that I'm 9 stone now! I've been trying to eat a lot healthier (smoothie in the morning, plenty of fruit and veg, gym 3-4 times a week and trying my best not to cheat) so was a bit dismayed to find out I'm heavier.

I've been doing squats with weights and using dumbbells a couple of times a week, coupled with cardio. My friend reckons its muscle mass, but maybe I've also been eating more than I thought? I dunno. But my question is, what sorts of exercises should I be doing to tone (I know thats a bad word in the fitness world)/get in shape without putting on loads of muscle weight?

Would love to hear suggestions, I like going to the gym but its having the opposite effect to what I wanted

also I've started on whey protein shakes at a friends suggestion, is this having a negative effect too?
    A few things
    - Using some weights haphazardly (no offence) is not going to make you fat
    - You need to count calories. I recommend MyFitnessPal. I use it on my phone and is quick and easy. Put in how active you are and eat the number of calories it suggests
    - Read the FAQ for some advice
    - You're female, putting on half a stone of muscle doesn't happen at any kind of rate

Hope that helps

(Original post by alkaline.)
    cardio makes u lose fat
    weights make you gain muscle
    So I'm losing weight and I lift weights....

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've downloaded myfitnesspal to keep an eye on what I'm eating and approx no. of calories. Would you mind if I posted what I eat each day here? Be as critical as you like. I get super hungry but I'm trying my best to eat fairly healthy:

Breakfast - Muesli with lacto free milk + sprinkle of chia seeds
    Mid morning snack - banana
    Lunch - 2 slices rye bread with tuna mayo sweetcorn, naked snack bar
    Late afternoon snack - handful blueberries + naked bar
    Dinner - Quorn with kale and baby spinach and mixed veg.
    Dark chocolate alpro yoghurt

Also trying to do at least an hour workout in gym per day (or at home in this case today)
    What do you guys think? Too much food? xx
    This is meaningless without a full breakdown of how much of everything is in there. Use Myfitnesspal. It will tell you

(Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I saw on Trust Me I'm a Doctor that women lose more fat if they work out after breakfast, whereas men lose more fat if they work out on an empty stomach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Don't trust people just because they're a "doctor"...

What crazy reason did they give for that nonsense?

To you both. On Trust Me I'm a Doctor - it was a preliminary clinical trial and is unpublished data, meaning it's unverified. Whilst it may be true that females work better fasted; it more than likely makes so little difference at the end of the day. Calories are king. unless you're in a caloric deficit it means nothing as to when you're exercising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    *Dreamer* Why don't you set up a fitness blog? Here's the other fitness blogs. It's really good way to get motivation
    Hey Puddles the Monkey! Great idea, and thanks for the advice too! I'm gunna check this out and keep everyone updated!! I was actually thinking that my journey might help a few girlies out who are in the same boat as me!! xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, would definitely appreciate some advice

So I'm usually around 5"4 and just over 8 and a half stone. I over indulged a bit over Christmas yet managed to not really put on any weight, but decided to hit the gym more this New Year to stay fit. I just randomly weighed myself and was quite shocked to see that I'm 9 stone now! I've been trying to eat a lot healthier (smoothie in the morning, plenty of fruit and veg, gym 3-4 times a week and trying my best not to cheat) so was a bit dismayed to find out I'm heavier.

I've been doing squats with weights and using dumbbells a couple of times a week, coupled with cardio. My friend reckons its muscle mass, but maybe I've also been eating more than I thought? I dunno. But my question is, what sorts of exercises should I be doing to tone (I know thats a bad word in the fitness world)/get in shape without putting on loads of muscle weight?

Would love to hear suggestions, I like going to the gym but its having the opposite effect to what I wanted

also I've started on whey protein shakes at a friends suggestion, is this having a negative effect too?
    I'm a similar situation OP whereby I am female and despite hitting the gym hard over the last few months I have gained 3 lbs. I'm not panicking though as I don't think it is necessarily fat. The thing you need to keep in mind is that weight is not static, especially for females due to our monthly. Your weight is only one indication and others include measurements, fit of clothing and body fat %. I'm going to try some intermittent fasting to get rid of my last 10 lbs if fat as I cannot seem to lose it for the life of me lately. One thing I'm realizing is that even with hard work sometimes results take time and the path there isn't always straight. I've always wanted a 'before and after 3 months' Pinterest style results but that's not realistic.

Honestly OP don't worry about putting on lots of muscle. Again as females we don't usually have the testosterone levels to get super ripped, and to do so you would probably need to do some serious lifting. I once saw on a motivational poster somewhere that: weights don't make women bigger, cupcakes do. Also you may not need lots of whey if you are not focused on bodybuilding per se.

ReputationRep:
    Muscle weighs more than fat. I lift weights to put on weight (I'm female, 5'4 and I really struggle with weight gain) but it does take a while and you have to eat a lot of calories to put on muscle mass. If you want to lose weight you can still lift weights but just lower your calories and include cardio. You don't have to go hard and heavy with them if you don't want a lot of muscle. I promise you won't end up "looking manly."
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    A lb of muscle = a lb of fat

I never got the one is heavier than the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    A lb of muscle = a lb of fat

I never got the one is heavier than the other

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What they mean is that muscle is more dense than fat. Therefore the same weight takes up less space. The confusion comes from people using terminology incorrectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

How about we compromise and recommend that I eat something small before working out, like a banana or something
    An accurate consistent deficit is king. If you are going to do cardio you should start by eating back half and then adjusting as you need. Dont run very large deficist, but if you have hit your macros then no need to eat for the sake of it.

Some people prefer fasted, runners in particular, but you need enough fuel to get you through a workout. A banana is a brilliant bit of food. I normally have some complex carbs in the morning and if my cardio is over an hour then I will have a banana. You get to understand your body and what it needs. Be sure to hydrate as well. track your weight and adjust as needed.

Depending on how enegetic, then 1h continuous cardio is going to burn between 300-700 calories an hour imo. A lot depends on how heavy, what exercise and how energetic you are being. Just pace yourself and keep adding dustance or intensity as you get fitter.

Dont forget to do weights 3x a week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.