Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Long-Term Maths Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really really really want to be an engineer for Formula 1 or take any role for a team. With this means that I plan to be ambitious and go to a very good university, one in the Russell Group would do, I'm aiming to be the best.

In school I do well in ALL my subjects (I get A*s in Science) with the exception of Maths, I average a C to B grade overall. I'm in second set in Maths and I never made it to top set due to laziness and lack of motivation.
    When taught anything in Maths I understand it, I really enjoy Maths and seek enjoyment from it. I even want to take it to A-Level and get an A or an A* in it. This sounds rather ridiculous but I'm willing to commit myself so much if I know what to do first. In my latest test I spotted that I lacked the ability to problem-solve, but it's all fine with me learning how to do every topic in Maths but I can't apply them which is my issue.

I really want to do well in Maths and I HAVE to. For me to do Physics in A-Level (which I'm really good at) I will have to get an A in GCSE and I think the same applies for Chemistry. So of course Maths will be my main priority subject and if I'm to take it for A-Level I will only do it with a strong A grade or an A*. I absolutely MUST achieve this and I will do anything it takes to get there.

I don't mind any advice but some advice from maybe really good Mathematicians whom have come out with amazing grades would be good for me. I just want study tips and the best way to ensure I'll do well and get an A* in GCSE Maths and carry it on later on in A-Level to help me pursue my dream job.

I'm 15 years old (almost 16) in my GCSE year and my exams start in the end of May. It may seem late but I'm a hopeful person a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    You need to know/learn how to problem solve to get anywhere with maths or physics. The same for chemistry to a lesser degree.

Do you enjoy maths and physics?

ReputationRep:
    The way to do well in maths: questions, questions, questions.

Have some free time? Do some maths questions on a topic you struggle on. Revision? Exam questions. Basically, it's just practice that makes a good mathematician.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.