Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

A bit of a background, a few months ago I was unsure about what I specifically wanted to study for university. Towards the end of making my decision, I was juggling between picking either zoology, ecology or biology. As I was undecided, I picked biology, as I adore the entire subject, but mainly because I saw it as the safe option.

Upon having received some offers to study biology at university (Hurrah!), I am beginning to doubt my decision, as I now am really leaning towards wanting to study zoology. I understand that having taken biology, I will have the option to take optional modules, but I was wondering to what extent will I be able to take on optional zoology modules?

I would really like to get involved with zoology modules, as well as zoology field trips - would I have this freedom when at university?

Oh, and the universities I have applied to:
    The university of Leeds
    The university of Sheffield
    The university of Liveropol
    The university of Birmingham
    Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried emailing the schools to try to change your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackien1)
    Have you tried emailing the schools to try to change your course?
    I haven't! I guess I am too afraid to lose their interest. I was maybe hoping that I'd just be able to take on lots of zoology modules as part of the optional criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisCapper)
    Hi guys!

A bit of a background, a few months ago I was unsure about what I specifically wanted to study for university. Towards the end of making my decision, I was juggling between picking either zoology, ecology or biology. As I was undecided, I picked biology, as I adore the entire subject, but mainly because I saw it as the safe option.

Upon having received some offers to study biology at university (Hurrah!), I am beginning to doubt my decision, as I now am really leaning towards wanting to study zoology. I understand that having taken biology, I will have the option to take optional modules, but I was wondering to what extent will I be able to take on optional zoology modules?

I would really like to get involved with zoology modules, as well as zoology field trips - would I have this freedom when at university?

The university of Leeds
    Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!

Theyre virtually exactly the same course - look at the course content online. At Bristol the only difference between biology and zoology is you have to take one unit on plants as a biology student. However zoology students can take a module on plants if they want. It's similar at a number of unis.

Really not worth worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Theyre virtually exactly the same course - look at the course content online. At Bristol the only difference between biology and zoology is you have to take one unit on plants as a biology student. However zoology students can take a module on plants if they want. It's similar at a number of unis.

Really not worth worrying about.
    Thank you for this information!

Appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

The university of Leeds
    Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!
    Hey I'm at Liverpool studying biological sciences and by doing biological sciences you can literally pick all zoology modules if you like. I think biological sciences is great because you can literally pick whatever module you like whereas the other programmes have a few compulsory ones. So I've mixed a lot of zoology and bioveterinary modules!

If you want the title of your degree to be Zoology, however, it will be perfectly possible for you to change

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Email the universities that have given you offers to ask them about changing to zoology. They might say no, in which case you can decide based on that knowledge, but they're not going to take away your offer or anything.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I haven't! I guess I am too afraid to lose their interest. I was maybe hoping that I'd just be able to take on lots of zoology modules as part of the optional criteria.
    As sweeneyrod says, if you really want to study Zoology then ask to switch - if you already have a Bio offer from the university it shouldn't jeopardise it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much for your responses and advice!

Now I know how flexible biology is, I will stick with it and pick up lots of zoology modules as Changing Skies suggested.

How exciting!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.