Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone studying to be a mental health nurse a bit later in life who has a partner and children. I am considering a career change and expect it to be very difficult. Trying to overcome the cost of living, time management and the general challenges of studying. Please tell me about it.

ReputationRep:
    I was a mature nursing student with a partner but not with kids. Many on my cohort did also have kids too though so I know it is possible. Their kids were a bit older (slightly more self sufficient and out at school all day which helped) although one or two had kids in nursery. They were able to get assistance with childcare fees from the government to allow them to get to placements so I know there is money out there and the money forum on TSR this week should be able to give you details about how to access it and how to apply.

Many people come into nursing as a mature student. There is a large variety of people in the profession with different backgrounds and you will not feel alone. No need to worry about being the oldest in uni as I am sure others will be older still. Take heart from the fact you have life/people skills that the school leavers don't. You already know how to manage a work life balance from your current life, so you treat uni and placements like you do your current job and you will be fine.

You will need to budget for loss of earnings though. The loan/bursary helps but you may not be able to maintain your current standard of living/holidays/nights out/school trips....etc.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I am due to start mental health nursing at Chester uni in March 2017 as an adult learner - I will be giving up my full time job...yikes, but exciting. I've requested a start date in a years time in order to save up and reduce the burden of having to work as well as study, but I wondered how the university holidays are spread out through the year, in case I need some agency work. Also are the university blocks always 5 days a week at the base, or is there some home study? Anyone else starting next year? Penny (41)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2 weeks into studying adult nursing and I suppose i am a "mature" student. I'm 25 and I have 2 children and a partner. I was a band 3 before and I've dropped approx £400 a month but we are just extra careful now and I also do bank so not too bad. I know it's gonna be a very stressful, money short 3 years but Itl be worth it in the end. My kids are 8 and 6 by the way. It is possible but also scary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jotterbox)
    I am due to start mental health nursing at Chester uni in March 2017 as an adult learner - I will be giving up my full time job...yikes, but exciting. I've requested a start date in a years time in order to save up and reduce the burden of having to work as well as study, but I wondered how the university holidays are spread out through the year, in case I need some agency work. Also are the university blocks always 5 days a week at the base, or is there some home study? Anyone else starting next year? Penny (41)
    Hi Penny,

Different universities work their holidays slightly differently, but I got 2 weeks each at Easter and Christmas and then 3 weeks during the summer.

Time at university was about 6 hours per day for 5 days a week in first year, decreasing to about 6 hours per day for 4 days a week in second year, down to 6 hours per day for 2-3 days in third year. Like the holidays though, other universities may do it differently. There is more independent study included as you go through the course, as shown by less time within university classes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am due to start child nursing in Sept. I am 35 and have a partner with 2 kids (ages 1 and 3). I know the next 3 years will be tough and there will be no holidays etc, but it will be so worth it once I am qualified. After working for so long, I can't believe i'll be a student again!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PaediatricStN;63936625]Hi Penny,

Thank you so much, it is good to get an idea of things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.