Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Time to Grow my grades! Aiming for the top! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1306)
    Friday 12th February 2016
    1. I have no frees today at school just 4 lessons in a row
    2. If I can, I'll have a go at some physics questions when I get home and mark them
    3. I have to go and do shopping for the family tonight so that will take up a fair chunk of time
    4. Then Leicester Tigers are away tonight to Newcastle Falcons so I'll be watching that.
    Not much work to be done tomorrow, and Ive decided to use it as a rest night. It'll probably make me feel guilty but I think I need it after last night and the whole week really. It will hopefully prepare me nicely for next week too. Have a good day guys
    I did none of the physics work, decided to go shopping early ready for the rugby. So ill have to make up for that tomorrow. In biology I got a homework back that I did about 3 weeks ago and got a C (12 out of 20) which I'm faairly happy about considering I didnt even have the question sheet! But other than that, pretty demoralised because Tigers played poorly. Maybe thats a sign that I have to work even harder so I get a reward every weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 13th February 2016
    1. Need to try some of the physics questions tomorrow, for energy and moments, and mark them.
    2. Have a look at the 'kerrbodle' site as my school now has an account on it
    3. Need to tidy room. My workspace is becoming crowded with lots of papers and stuff. I figured beginning of half term would be a good time to do this.
    4. Watch some rugby and most improtanly relax and recuperate before a planned busy week next week!

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 13th February 2016
    1. Need to try some of the physics questions tomorrow, for energy and moments, and mark them.
    2. Have a look at the 'kerrbodle' site as my school now has an account on it
    3. Need to tidy room. My workspace is becoming crowded with lots of papers and stuff. I figured beginning of half term would be a good time to do this.
    4. Watch some rugby and most improtanly relax and recuperate before a planned busy week next week!
    I had a complete day of rest yesterday so kinda failed on my two work objectives but I'll catch up! I needed a rest and plenty of sleep and I've got that so thats a good start to the halterm. In other news, the rugby was rather good!

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 14th February 2016
    1. Try and do some physics questions weather on kerboodle (online resource) or in the books I've been given
    2. I should probably deliver my 2 customer orders today because they'll be waiting for them I guess.
    3. Italy England should be good and I think theres also some Premiership rugby on too
    Pretty relaxing weekend really, needed I feel. However I do need to start picking up the work load because I get too far behind and start getting annoyed with myself! So I've been doing this blog for a week now, how do you guys think my methods of work/balancing with work and rest and recovery doing? Thats if anyone is still listening to my boring blabbering!! Haha!

ReputationRep:
    Monday 15th February 2016
    1. Prepare definitions sheet for tomorrow (more about this in next post)
    2. Try a few random area questions on the website kerboodle for physics and biology
    3. Deliver 40 magazines for Betterware
    4. Deliver final customer ordered item
    5. Prepare customer order forms, around 120
    6. Badminton tonight
    7. Rugby tonight on the Tv

ReputationRep:
    Definitions sheet

At parents evening last week, my biology teacher pointed out the fact that I seemed to know a lot of the biology methods and facts but as the mark scheme is so harsh and wants specific words included I was missing out on many marks as I didn't use the key terms. For this error to be ironed out, I thought it would be a good idea to make a table, one column in with the key word and the other column to have the definition, and go though the textbook filling in every key word and definition that we have covered so far in biology this year. This way, if the theory is put into good work and practise I'll be able to learn the key definitions and key terms and then go on to use the correct key terms in the correct places during the exams causing me then not to miss out on the key words. This will hopefully gain me a few marks. Obviously, once they have been written out, they won't be stuck in my head just like magic. This means that I could perhaps develop this plan into a long term plan and every now and then, grab one of the sheets with the definitions on and do a 'look, cover, write, check' exercise to see how well they are going in. I should probably also do this for they key definitions in physics as well. I'll let you know how it goes in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Monday 15th February 2016
    1. Prepare definitions sheet for tomorrow (more about this in next post)
    2. Try a few random area questions on the website kerboodle for physics and biology
    3. Deliver 40 magazines for Betterware
    4. Deliver final customer ordered item
    5. Prepare customer order forms, around 120
    6. Badminton tonight
    7. Rugby tonight on the Tv
    Yesterday was a nice steady day to start the half term off. A lot of my friends at school seem to be doing other things beside school work which actually makes me feel good as long as I can put my motivation into action then ill be ok. The definitions sheets look nice and I'm just about to write in all of the definitions, it will probably take me the rest of today.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 16th February 2016
    1. Write out the definition sheets
    2. If I finish this I will see if I can write up some physics work into my physics book from my school notes book
    3. Deliver 40 books
    4. Manager come around to collect money
    5. Watch snooker at the same time as working
    As well as this blog, I started my own blog on blogger about Leicester Tigers. This is so that I can gain some practice and experience ready for what I aim to study at university at the moment which is sports journalism. I aim to do a little bit each week. If you want to check it out the link is;

http://mattleicestertigers.blogspot.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 16th February 2016
    1. Write out the definition sheets
    2. If I finish this I will see if I can write up some physics work into my physics book from my school notes book
    3. Deliver 40 books
    4. Manager come around to collect money
    5. Watch snooker at the same time as working
    As well as this blog, I started my own blog on blogger about Leicester Tigers. This is so that I can gain some practice and experience ready for what I aim to study at university at the moment which is sports journalism. I aim to do a little bit each week. If you want to check it out the link is;

http://mattleicestertigers.blogspot.co.uk
    I managed to do half of the definition sheets for Biology, partly because I got distracted by doing my timetable thingy. But yes, so far those Definition sheets seem like a good idea. It kinda brought back small parts of the course that I had forgotten so thats always a good refresh sort of thing. The sheet I did (20 definitions), i tested myself on and got 17 correct which I think if I had done it before I would have only got about 7 or 8 so that shows it works well in short term, hopefully I can make it long term. I plan to finish the other half tomorrow.

Instead of those note write ups, I did a timetable. I thought it would be a good idea to make something that would aid me to identify how many hours I have in the day available to work in etc and this timetable kinda shows it. I made it so it begins next week after half term on the monday and looks pretty good. Hopefully on the Sunday I can make the time to remake the timetable for the next week looking similar but it will be slightly different obviously with different things going on etc. It feels as if its another thing that will make me keep me motivated and start getting me further on track towards growing my grades. I have included a picture. I think because I zoomed out, the timings are out by an hour or so.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 16.57.54.png
Views: 28
Size:  65.5 KB

In terms of work, everything was done that I wanted. A pretty good long day, which could have been even more productive if I put my mind to it a little bit more. What does everyone think to my timetable?

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 17th February 2016
    1. Pick up 40 magazines
    2. Deliver 40 magaziens
    3. Finish off the definitions sheets
    4. First homework day of the holidays. Time to get some done before its too late!!

ReputationRep:
    On Wednesday, I didnt get much homework done at all unfortunately. But, again I did try and plan out how I'm going to get better as soon as the Half term ends which concluded as an hour for each subject a day.

Yesterday, I had a relaxing day and went to the cinema and caught up with an old friend. This felt good to do as I now feel really refreshed and glad I did it. Before I went I was worried that it'll take a day out of my working schedule and I'll fall behind and that maybe I shouldn't go but it was defiantly nice to kind of escape from work and just have a completely relaxing and entertaining day outside of the house and school. I think this is a good way of refreshing mind if any stress comes on or worries. I think ill defiantly use it again in the future if I need a break from everything.

Today, I plan to prepare all homework that I haven't completed over the half term ready to do at the weekend. I also plan to tidy up my Laptop files so that I can find everything easily again and everything all in the correct folders. I will also prepare some order forms for work ready to deliver at some point over the weekend so again, I won't lose time doing this. And finally, Leicester Tigers are playing later tonight, so I'll be getting ready for that in the afternoon . Just to state again, I feel really refreshed right now and actually am ready to go back to school to have nice 5 week stint of hard work ready for exams after easter. Dare I say it, I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Half Term Review

Overall, not too bad, many positives but also many negatives. It wasn't anywhere near as I expected and kinda planned but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Negatives
    Lets be honest, I didn'tt do enough work. Not even close to the amount that I planned. This is slightly annoying because I really wanted to write up my notes into the separate books for each teacher but that just never happened and I'll have to try and find time to do that after school etc. I don't want it to stack up until Easter. I guess this is a downside to this method as it can easily stack up without realising it. I also should have started my BTEC Sport task but I didnt so will have to work hard on that one during the next week, at least an hour a day, maybe an after school at school on Friday, or next Monday.

Negatives with Betterware are little to come by really. The only thing I could say is that from the books I did put out, I just didnt get enough orders from them which is really out of my control so I suppose I shouldn't really count that as much of a negative.

Two negatives for free time, one, Leicester Tigers lost both of their games at each weekend when we really should have won! Its going to make it a really tense finish to the season. The other one, I didnt get enough exercise and feel like my fitness levels have gone down a little bit further which is very annoying because I feel better in myself when my fitness levels are higher.

Positives
    I did (providing I do the last bit tonight) the minimum amount of homework, I finished all of the task that are in for the next 2/3 days at school so thats really good and should provide a little bit of rest bite in the afternoon after school and work. I found a new method of writing out the keywords for science, I am still let to complete this by a long stretch but I dunno I just feel confident that it will help me really well having learn the bit I did straight away. One final positive to come via the schoolwork part of my holiday is that I made one of those study planner things. This looks really good as i'm able to highlight how many hours Im spending on what and it might make me focused to complete it as it is like a list and follows on which might keep me going who knows. The only snag with this is is that it could change randomly say if my parents say we are going out for a meal spontaneously or whatever. It may also take a while to set up every week.

I attempted to get many books out of the holiday and I sure did that because I beat my record amount delivered. This makes me feel good and confident that I may actually be able to manage this during the next few weeks leading up to the exams. I made the £50 minimum order level so thats all good news.

Did lots of things with free time! I met up with an old school friend and went to the cinema and watched Deadpool. That was so good and really refreshed me and I can just tell its going to help because yeah it made me feel a lot happier. Lots of sleep has brought me plenty of rest and again refreshment which is exactly what I needed. I met a new online friend who seems to be okay in the couple of days we had talking. I feel like I needed a online friend just to again take my mind off all of the heavy work load.

So overall, Im really refreshed and ready to go! Glad I did what I've done in these 7 days off and feel ready to go and work hard until Easter which has traditionally been my favourite holidays!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Only 32 days....What could possibly go wrong
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm currently in year 11 and doing my AS levels. I'm really in to my rugby and want a career in it somehow, preferably rugby journalism at Leicester Tigers. In my spare time I play badminton to try and keep my self fit, oh and of course go to the Leicester Tigers matches. I have been a season ticket holder there for 12 years.

Why am I doing this?
    I feel like recently I have been procrastinating way to much and I think that shown though my mock results. I know I need to work harder and much more so hopefully this will supply a little bit of a goal to supply a little bit of go forward. And obviously, I can share some of my ideas with other to help other people because I like to help others out in any way possible.

What do I do now?
    My main revision technique is to copy out the notes I have made in class and rewrite them at home into separate books for each teacher once I get home, but this is difficult to do because I take a BTEC which requires a lot of work all of the time but hopefully I can catch up in half term and weekends if theres not too much rugby on After this, I hope to answer practice questions from my books and notes and then mark it and see where I went wrong and look at it again. I'm planning to drop Physics this year, so in the run up to that exam I will try to make posters and cue cards from the notes to help me remember.

What do I take?
    I take;
    BTEC Sport (currently at Distinction)
    Biology (Got an E in the mock exam)
    English Language (got a B in the mock exam)
    Physics (Got a U in the mock exam)
    I think its obvious what I need to improve.

I also work as a Distributer for Betterware but this is difficult to mange with my school work and will try to put it on pause until the summer.

My recent grades I've received from teachers homeworks
    • English language = B (mock)
    • Biology = C (Standard homework 5)
    • Physics = U (mock)
    Matt1306 Top tips and findings (kind of)
    This is a section I'd like to keep up to help others. When I find something that works, I'll but it in a section like this and also add it to the first post.
    1) Today, I found the watching rugby and making the class notes a helpful way of doing the class notes. Watching something I enjoy whilst doing it made it seem a lot quicker and wasn't as strenuous.
    2) I find looking ahead to a particular goal (in this case half term) is a really good motivation method to get a big stack of work done, especially if that goal attains plenty of rest and sleep!

Key to blog
    I will try and put out a plan for the day and then a review towards the end or the next morning.
    • Things in Blue will be to do with school work
    • Things in Red will be to do with spare time
    • Things in Yellow will be to do with Betterware (work)
    Finally, I wish good luck to everyone on getting your grades you want.

Hey, nice blog - I'm sure you will get the grades you derserve with all your hard work. If you like, I could share some advice with you on your sciences, as I am doing them too. It's up to you but take a look at my blog and there may be some revision tips you might find useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3897511

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hey, nice blog - I'm sure you will get the grades you derserve with all your hard work. If you like, I could share some advice with you on your sciences, as I am doing them too. It's up to you but take a look at my blog and there may be some revision tips you might find useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3897511
    Thank you thats very kind of you

I shall have a look and see if theres anything, I'm sure there will be

Good luck with your grades too!

ReputationRep:
    Monday 22nd February 2016
    1. In my free I shall do my BTEC Sport work
    2. Complete english homework
    3. Do some more of my BTEC Sport work
    4. Try to deliver about 80 books
    5. Rugby tonight if all my work is done

ReputationRep:
    Monday 22nd February 2016
    1. In my free I shall do my BTEC Sport work
    2. Complete english homework
    3. Do some more of my BTEC Sport work
    4. Try to deliver about 80 books
    5. Rugby tonight if all my work is done
    Really really proud of myself today! I actually got myself picked up and delivered 80 books! Lets hope I get lucky and get the orders now

My free was really productive and I even began to annotate my English homework and still produced to have a 15 minute break at the end of the free. I think I was very productive because as soon as I sat down, I prepared my work and got it out straight away rather than dithering around etc etc. I will try and do this again because it worked very very well.

Because I delivered 80 books it meant I had about 30 minutes less time so focused on doing English work in that time rather than my BTEC Sport work. But I did use the BTEC Sport hour on my timetable as English so in my english nominated slot I shall do some BTEC Sport work. This is another positive of having a timetable because sessions can easily be swapped and remembered etc. My English is nearly finished, I'm just taking a break before I write the last 2 PEE Paragraphs to do this.

In lessons news, I have some physics homework to be done for next Monday but I'm going to try and do it for the lesson on Friday. It looks difficult work so I'll need to ue kerboodle to help me I think.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 23rd February 2016
    1. Complete homework - English
    2. Do some biology questions from online and mark
    3. Do some BTEC Sport course work
    4. If time, Deliver 40 books
    5. Asess and change study planner accordingly

ReputationRep:
    My English homework was completed yesterday so that is very good. I always feel really good about myself when I do things early so probably a very good thing. Shame it doesn't happen more so I will defiantly add that to my top tips list and have it sorted because that will help hugely. I try and sort that out.

I've had an eventful day yesterday, no power at school (hence no update) and then there was a huge car crash outside my house so I got no extra work done unfortunately. This means I'm really behind in my BTEC Sport latest task but I'll have to do it over the weekend or something.

With work, my hard efforts of delivering lots of magazines on monday payed off as I received enough orders to make the minimum. This has made me realise that if I do a huge book drop off on one day its easier than doing some one day, some the next and some the day after. Even though it seems hard, it pays off really well. This could also help me very much to do with growing my grades because it allows me to have an extra couple of days without work allowing myself to have extra time doing extra work.

Today, my dad has booked badminton so will be doing that. Hopefully before I go, I can get some BTEC Sport work cracking! Heres hoping. I will also assess some other methods too!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Guys, I've been extremely busy the last few days I've had no time at all to run this blog. So as a little review and pointer here we go

School work has been so so busy! I don't know why but this little 4 weeks before Easter is really full on. My BTEC work for sport all went wrong at the weekend and I actually did none because of work and family things plus rugby. I left it all until the Monday and had to work for about 7 hours that dayincluding a 4 hour constant stint. I managed to get it all finished by 10pm, only 2 hours before the deadline when I had about 3 weeks to do it. This has annoyed me and I'm very angry and disappointed in myself.

Despite this, I've managed to get all homework done and a little bit of extra work in my frees but I still need to work a lot harder and do some more revision because I'm not going to do very well at all if I carry on at this rate, especially when I know I can do a lot better.

I also, since last messaged, I received one of my BTEC Sport results back that I had completed just before half term. It was a distinction task and I got a DISTINCTION , one of the only people to get one in my class!

So I need to address this situation and make sure I am not going to leave my BTEC Work to the end. To do this, I think I just need to discipline myself and any free time needs to be covered on a task. Any body have any ideas on how I can sort this?

Work with Betterware has been getting better. Somehow, I've been more motivated to do this and its been working. I've done a few things such as deliver 80 books in one go and also my manger came round on tuesday and must be really happy with me because she suggested that I also deliver for another company to help her out in this area. So that all good. However saying this, this week I didnt make my £50 deadline so maybe she won't be that happy with me now, whoopsies.

In my free time I've been relaxing a little bit (30 mins each day) and this has really improved my moral. I just seem generally happier and the cloud thats been hanging over my head has seemed to have disappeared even though the work keeps getting harder. I think I've started to get rid of old memories of my past so thats just brilliant. Plus Tigers played very well at the weekend.

So overall, I am doing pretty well but I still need to work a harder in Physics and Biology. At the end of this year Ive been entered into two exams, Biology and physics which could be a little bit hard because now I have to revise two subjects. I hope you guys are all okay

ReputationRep:
    Review of latest work

Again its been a very busy week and this week I feel so positive because I've actually managed to work really really hard which feels really good. Ive done a few past questions in Physics, and with help from my Dad I feel like I've been improving on the circuits side of course which is boosting my grades. In physics, we had a test on DC Circuits on Wednesday (which I think consisted of last years paper). I found like half of it was easy and the other was kinda difficult but with more practise I could actually get it right. I got the results on wednesday and I got 27/49 which my teacher said was a B. This is a drastic improvement from my U but I think the teacher dropped the boundaries a little bit so theres still plenty of work to do but to get over 50% feels good.

In biology, my teacher decided that we would do a keyword quiz where you stand at the front of the class and the teacher writes the word on the board and the rest of the class had to describe the keyword. In revision to this, I had a sheet for all of the keywords in the particular topic we were doing and then wrote out the definition next to them all. Considering there was about 30 or 40 keywords, it only took me about 2 days to memorise them all with spending about 45 mins a day solid on it. The working hard mentality is working for me. On the actual day of the quiz, I got 3/4 of my keywords right, and I got the 4th but just wasnt fast enough with the pressure and peoples descriptions were fairly poor but I feel if I can learn words like this again I can do a lot better in my exams, probably something you can all try. I used the look, cover, say and check method.

Work has been going really well again, with enough orders coming in. I have been working really hard for this too and the rewards are coming though.

Free time, at the moment is really pushing me along. This weekend Tigers play Wasps and England play Wales which are two really big games in the year. I have aimed to work hard this week in hope that the rewards will pay of with joy of a really good game and hopefully a victory. Having something to enjoy at the weekend will really inspire you to work hard, it has made me work hard anyway because I have kept really focused with this work.

In other news, I have uploaded my study planner into the study planner competition, check it out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.