Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Older guys.... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I prefer older guys anyway (not ancient)

I see way too many f*ckboys lurking these days

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If you look it as being a case of the guy sitting his GCSEs when the girl was only just learning to eat with cutlery the age difference of seven to 12 years is very big.
    Well they won't be at that age when they're in a relationship :dontknow:

I'd say the older the couple get, the less significant their age gap. When the guy is, say 40, and the girl 30, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal

ReputationRep:
    If you look it as being a case of the guy sitting his GCSEs when the girl was only just learning to eat with cutlery the age difference of seven to 12 years is very big.
    But age difference matters less as you grow older, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Well they won't be at that age when they're in a relationship :dontknow:

I'd say the older the couple get, the less significant their age gap. When the guy is, say 40, and the girl 30, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal
    So true, but when the girl is like 14 and the guy is 21 then it looks odd and pedophilic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kandykissesxox)
    So true, but when the girl is like 14 and the guy is 21 then it looks odd and pedophilic
    It's half age plus 7, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    But age difference matters less as you grow older, no?
    enaayrah The age difference can still be odd when the individuals are older, if there is an age difference of over a decade there will be a generational gap in the relationship. It has minimal effect when the couple is old aged, or middle aged, but if the couple is in their twenties the aims of someone who is 20 will be very different to the aims of someone who is 30. The younger partner has only graduated from university where the elder is starting to look to settle down, marry, and have children.

ReputationRep:
    It's half age plus 7, right?
    Tbh I'm gonna drop the "age is just a number" bombshell

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not saying it's a strict rule, but I reckon it works well for the general case. I agree tho
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I predict you will drop that line if you ever have a daughter who declares she has a boyfriend six years older than she is when she is 16.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not saying it's a strict rule, but I reckon it works well for the general case. I agree tho
    I mean I don't mind an age gap of 6-7 years..

ReputationRep:
    I predict you will drop that line if you ever have a daughter who declares she has a boyfriend six years older than she is when she is 16.
    Lol no, she will not be allowed to date at 16 idc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    enaayrah The age difference can still be odd when the individuals are older, if there is an age difference of over a decade there will be a generational gap in the relationship. It has minimal effect when the couple is old aged, or middle aged, but if the couple is in their twenties the aims of someone who is 20 will be very different to the aims of someone who is 30. The younger partner has only graduated from university where the elder is starting to look to settle down, marry, and have children.
    In my experience women are far more ready to spit out a baby and get married early than men so a 20-30 relationship probably won't fail on those grounds for most women.

Regarding the rest of your post i suppose it depends on what one considers important. I consider personality traits to be the utmost concern while some go on about about having things in common (my view is that these can develop over time). I certainly think goals can be a major factor in the success of a relationship though, being at the stage of my life where i'm ready to marry and reproduce i don't need the girl to want it tomorrow but i could never be with a woman who never wanted children for example or wanted to spend a year travelling abroad.

I think people often use too broad a brush when dismissing relationships and that it's purely a case by case thing once you find somebody willing to put your wishes first and with admirable personality traits.

ReputationRep:
    I am

Nothing wrong with it

ReputationRep:
    I mean I don't mind an age gap of 6-7 years..
    Mhm

I agree with what you say there, especially given that I have a very specific set of career goals from now till the age of 30 that someone quite older, wanting children, would feel uneasy about I guess.
    That said, I don't really intend on dating 'older' guys until I'm like 24 or something

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I've always been attracted to girl older than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    could be the fact that i always find my age guys don't fit with my maturity level?..If thats even a thing
    Boys are typically around 2 years behind girls in the maturity stakes in their teens, so yes, it’s a thing, although it’s only a small part of the reason why older guys tend to appeal more (see link below)

(Original post by Tootles)
    they think older guys are better in bed, also according to what I've heard
    Yet to meet a reasonably sexually experienced guy who’s got worse with age (up to a certain age, that is) :mmm:

Hmm depends on experience really
    Experience is a function of opportunity over time, hence correlated with age :yy:

Just turned 19. But I've always had this thing since well 15..:curious:
    The first girl I ever dated went on to date a 19 year old guy (after I moved away), at 15, funnily enough (yes, I was livid) :mad:

(Original post by Supersaps)
    older guys have just as many issues as younger guys. Also, it's more difficult to change as you get older. Even at 25 you're more set in your ways
    Disagree with the first part, as time, experience, and personal growth tend to offer us opportunities to reconcile our 'issues'

Agree with the second part, mind. Us old timers are stubborn buggers! :shakecane:

(Original post by ivy.98)
    lmao i thought you were gonna say like 10-15 years difference
    Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it sister

just make sure they dont take advantage of you :/
    The problem I have with this kind of (well meaning, if perhaps a little prejudiced) advice is that:

• Girls should look out for themselves no matter whom they’re dating

• Younger guys are just as likely to engage in primitive manipulation/exploitation in order to get laid (e.g. misusing 'treat em mean, keep em keen')

• Relatively mature (more ethical/emotionally intelligent vs. less desperate) blokes are arguably inherently less likely to use and abuse girls

(Original post by Rakas21)
    better for you than dating a 19 year old who thinks getting paralytic, doing drugs and fighting outside a pub on Friday nights is a good thing
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    once you find somebody willing to put your wishes first and with admirable personality traits
    Seconded :top2:

I was always attracted to male teachers in school instead of my peers
    You’re getting closer to the crux of the matter. See related comments in this post for further reference :holmes:

I have a very specific set of career goals from now till the age of 30 that someone quite older, wanting children, would feel uneasy about I guess
    Fine if a girl adopts, otherwise arguably irresponsible (having kids after 30’s is associated with poorer health/developmental outcomes for your kids)

That said, I don't really intend on dating 'older' guys until I'm like 24 or something
    Guys tend to do the approaching + older guys are usually the ones with the cojones to approach at all :borat:

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    x
    Well, um, thank you for your input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_20011)
    oh ok. how old are you. And i am with women, only like 7 years older than me. im 14, and girls like in their 20s are hotter than girls like 14
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Soo
    I've just always been attracted to guys older than me. Lool I'm not talking like 52 years older, like 2-7 years older. Anybody else like this or nay?
    How old r u

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.