The Student Room Group

IB Subjects for Physics / Maths degree

I'm 16yo and will be starting at an IB school in India for 6th form in August. I never actually thought I'd get in so I'd already picked my A Levels to study at my local school (English Lit , Math , Further Math and Physics). But , now that I have got a place I'm struggling over what subjects to take.

I'm thinking of doing either Maths or Physics or PPE at uni , with Physics being the most likely eventuality and am currently thinking of something along the lines of :

HL Math
HL Physics
HL English A
SL Philosophy
SL Hindi ab initio
SL Theatre

Would taking chemistry in place of either Theatre at SL , or doing it HL and dropping english to SL be more beneficial ? I really do like English and want to continue with it at HL , but I'm not sure if not having a second science will count against me if I apply to for example Durham or ICL. Additionally , would doing a Group 6 subject be a problem or does it really not matter what my SLs are as long as I have the right highers. And finally , are these subject choices generally acceptable if I were to do physics .

Thanks in advance!

George
Reply 1
It looks good.
Theater Arts is apparently looked upon as a "Soft Subject" (Source: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/1268-soft-subjects/ ) so I would advise you to stay away from it just in case seeing that you are applying for maths and physics. Its not to say that taking chemistry at any level will be more beneficial for maths but it might for physics. Also you mentioned that you enjoy english so its best that you to continue taking it at higher level.

Other than that everything else is fine.
Reply 3
Hey ! I'm in year 13 and I'm going to do physics at uni next year!
Your subject choices are fine.
When you apply to university, pretty much all the universities are only interested in your HLs, and to do physics they just ask for maths and physics at HL. If you're applying for pure physics you don't need another science but chemistry can be helpful sometimes and it is a requirement for some engineering courses.
However, don't feel like you have to do chemistry, especially if you want to do theatre. A few university admissions tutors came to talk to us at school and they said there's no such thing as a 'soft subject', so you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending