The Student Room Group

"With a degree in languages you'll walk into a job!" The greatest lie ever told?

So back in the day before choosing to study French & Italian at a reputable university, everyone told me (and still does) how languages were the way forward. Nearly 5 years and a First class degree later, my friends are happy, they're all in relationships and on prestigious grad schemes while I've faced a torrent of rejections from said schemes (at the numerical reasoning stage), and every job I try to apply for is lost to a more experienced candidate.Yes, I could stand to be a little more optimistic and get a fire under my behind but that's easier said than done when you feel the way I feel. Depression is as debilitating as a broken leg and none of my friends seem to get that when they tell me to just 'get over it'.Has anyone here graduated with a languages degree and have landed a successful job and career where they actually put their language skills to use? I understand teaching is an option but that's not for me and would rather not hear stories about going into teaching. I feel like I've effed up my life and should have gone with what originally appealed to me and my skills - Medicine or Veterinary Medicine. I based my GCSE and A Level choices on what I enjoyed at the time which were the humanities but I know I could have succeeded with Medicine.Any thoughts? Am I a lost cause?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Many graduates can leave uni wondering if they did the right course; but these days, it is much less about what you studied, and more about which skills you can bring to an potential employer.

I would encourage you to think about the transferable skills your degree has taught you - because ultimately, these are the skills that will help you land a job. For example, through your course you will also have gained the ability to carry out presentations and lead groups, while you should also be able to give your opinions in a constructive way. These attributes lend themselves to careers in business, media, government, leisure and teaching.

Start by making a list of what you are good at (e.g. communication, organisation etc), and what you are less good at. Then, make a list of the types of roles you think you might enjoy and start from there. It sounds like you have been applying for lots of traditional corporate graduate schemes - have you tried applying to smaller companies who may be less competitive?

Additionally, where possible, try and get some feedback on your applications, from family and friends before you apply, and from potential employers if your application is unsuccessful.

It may be encouraging to know that language graduates from 2010 had the highest rate of overseas employment six months after graduation compared with other disciplines: 10.2%. More than a third went straight into business and finance, marketing and management occupations. Just over a quarter went on to further study in preparation for careers in journalism, management, translation, the media and teaching.

Above all, don't give up - getting your first job may be the toughest hurdle you ever face in your career, but if you keep an open mind and take opportunities where they come, you'll get there.

Best of luck in your job search,

Chantelle & The Milkround team
Languages are a fantastic degree for all the reasons you'd have already heard. I'm a Russell Group grad in two languages by the way.

But what I wish was more drummed into you is that if you go for a job in which you're going to use your languages, you probably won't be totally fluent after just your degree. If you apply for a job as a French customer service assistant, you either speak it or you don't- nobody will care if you speak it at an advanced level but aren't totally fluent. What's the use?
Original post by confusedaldi
I've faced a torrent of rejections from said schemes (at the numerical reasoning stage)... I feel like I've effed up my life and should have gone with what originally appealed to me and my skills - Medicine or Veterinary Medicine.

sensibly if you can't manage the quantitative reasoning bit of the application for the civil service or marks and sparks, then I don't think you need to torture yourself with how much better off you'd be with a STEM degree.
if you are fluent to native level in some harder to learn languages - japanese, chinese, arabic, russian, (types of) indian etc , so can speak and write in that language as though it were your first language, and you have some practical skills in a work environment, or a degree... getting a job shouldnt be too hard

french, spanish, german, italian etc. - all the very obvious european languages aren't as high in demand anymore, most kids are coming out of school knowing alot more in languages than they used to, speaking these languages can still make it abit easier to get a job, but even being completely fluent in them wont have employers fighting over you

im a fluent french speaker, its basically my 2nd language, every application that i put out i will put i can talk french to native level, and honestly, employer's dont seem to care much about it, although, i havent been applying for jobs where foreign language is a requirement, nor do i really 'emphasise' on my CV just how fluent i am in french, i grew up with the same impression that being able to speak french would make plenty of employers want me
Original post by confusedaldi
So back in the day before choosing to study French & Italian at a reputable university, everyone told me (and still does) how languages were the way forward. Nearly 5 years and a First class degree later, my friends are happy, they're all in relationships and on prestigious grad schemes while I've faced a torrent of rejections from said schemes (at the numerical reasoning stage), and every job I try to apply for is lost to a more experienced candidate.Yes, I could stand to be a little more optimistic and get a fire under my behind but that's easier said than done when you feel the way I feel. Depression is as debilitating as a broken leg and none of my friends seem to get that when they tell me to just 'get over it'.Has anyone here graduated with a languages degree and have landed a successful job and career where they actually put their language skills to use? I understand teaching is an option but that's not for me and would rather not hear stories about going into teaching. I feel like I've effed up my life and should have gone with what originally appealed to me and my skills - Medicine or Veterinary Medicine. I based my GCSE and A Level choices on what I enjoyed at the time which were the humanities but I know I could have succeeded with Medicine.Any thoughts? Am I a lost cause?

Many NGO's and the EU ask for one of their working languages which French almost always is, although that would mean living abroad. Some of them also require a masters degree too though.

It's worth considering roles that aren't part of formal grad schemes- they usually just require a cover letter or an application form, no tests. However there is even more emphasis on having work experience so if you haven't got some you need to address that asap.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
However there is even more emphasis on having work experience so if you haven't got some you need to address that asap.

This is what undergraduates are failing to realise during their course of study. Simply having a degree does not guarantee graduate employment. Experience in the field is essential. Get started on this if you haven't done so already. It will vastly improve your chances of employment but may require performing a lower ranking entry level role.
You fail at the numerical reasoning stage, so work on it. The maths involved is GCSE level tops. Just need to practise. Once you're past that, the ball is back in your court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending