Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How conservative(religious wise)was your upbringing? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Lol no :lol:
    loool i don't even know where I got that idea from :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Very. Parents were strong Christians. Sunday school, religious school, prayers before bed, etc. Marriage fell apart due to adultery and both parents quickly abandoned their Christianity. Their passive-agressivd bigotry and judgemental attitudes soon followed, although my mother has never got over her homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are devout Muslims and I attended mosque regularly as a kid, Now I don't attend mosque nor am I religious, though I do believe in the fundamental teachings of Islam though. I wear the hijab and that's about it; I don't really class wearing a hijab as conservative though, I really like wearing it and it's stuck with me for so long I consider it normal I'm quite liberal in my lifestyle and beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Socially extremely liberal with mild anti-theism.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My parents provided us with a solid Roman Catholic foundation I guess, in terms of attending RC schools and going to church most weeks when we were younger (primary-school aged). I wouldn't say they were liberal in their beliefs but it was certainly quite relaxed for an Asian Catholic upbringing, especially when you compare it to how my dad was brought up (his family said the rosary twice a day everyday and his older brother was sent to a seminary school at a very young age :eek: ).

I think my parents got the right mix of providing us with a good grounding in our faith without scaremongering with thoughts/fears of going to Hell or anything like that :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm mixed. I wouldn't say that my upbringing was very religious even though I was brought up in a Muslim family. My parents pray,fast etc but weren't too strict with me and my sisters. They have a more liberal outlook/approach, but still taught us the core beliefs,and my dad especially always encouraged us to ask questions and always tried his best to answer them.

I was mainly brought up by my father, who is the most atheist guy I know. So it was devoid of religion.But I went to a Catholic school for my first few school years here in the UK but I really didn't believe in God. I got Muslim influences from my mum and her family.
    Otherwise, they're strict in the sense that you need to do your house tasks and be respectful but cool in the sense that we were brought up listening to reggae/rap/rnb, if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Strict Christian parents. Church every Sunday. However I adapted into this routine and began to the read the bible etc. However, I came to my senses I guess after reading both the New and Old testament... honestly, we are so blind to see whats written in there. It was scary. Athiest, parents still practise though.

ReputationRep:
    Strong Christian upbringing/conservative

ReputationRep:
    My family is split; my mum was Catholic - her dad was too, but her mum (my nan) was not. My nan was not religious - she did not really believe in anything in terms of God etc.

Similarly, my dad and his family are not catholic and do not really believe there is a God etc.

My brothers and I are catholic - we went to catholic schools, attended church most Sundays - my aunt and uncle continued to take us to church after my mum died when we were kids.

It was never something that was forced upon us, but then again, it was not something we ever spoke about - it was just 'the norm' in a way.

Not really. My mum identifies as religious, but other than baptising me Catholic and sending me to Catholic schools, there wasn't anything particularly religious about my upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    Ed Davies / 10

ReputationRep:
    Fairly religious, and somewhat conservative.

Grew up in a Baptist household, and attended Church and Sunday School fairly often when I was younger. But slowly my parents drifted away from the church, although still kept their faith. The church could be a bit fire and brimstone-ish, and it generally followed the American 'Southern Baptist' model, which is a lot more conservative than other sects of Christianity, however my parents were always more liberal leaning. The good thing about being brought up as a Baptist was that I was allowed to think for myself and decide my own faith, it was never forced upon me or anything like that, i.e. child baptism and ostracisation. My parents weren't very strict though, so long as I was respectful and did my work at school I was free to do as I pleased, within reason.

Don't attend church or belong to any particular denomination, but still consider myself a Christian. Socially liberal in my political views, although I think as an individual I'm a bit conservative and old-fashioned if that makes sense :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Grew up in a non-religious family, who let me and my siblings explore the world of religion on our own terms. I distanced myself from religion form a early stage in life, but I was always free to chose and explore - which was an amazing opportunity to have. In the end, my sister chose to follow Christianity, while me and my brother did not, and my parents are still happy to let us practice our believes/lack thereof as we like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1m2)
    x
    You are too pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    You are too pretty
    You flatter me!

ReputationRep:
    Brought up in a fairly Liberal Muslim family. I was forced to attend Arabic reading(?) for a while - don't know the English equivalent for forah. Until my siblings and I bullied/rebelled against our teachers so my mum stopped making us attend it.
    We were never told to pray but were encouraged to partake in Ramadhan but never forced.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.