Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For anyone thinking of joining the Armed Forces: Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Of course practice your running, press ups, sit-ups general fitness.

But even more than that...read this book.

"Thinking Fast & Slow" By Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winner. He served in the Israeli army but this isn't a military book. It's a book about decision-making.

Absolutely necessary insight for any Officer or SNCO, in my opinion.

Here's what some reviewers had to say about it:

- "A masterpiece. This one of the greatest and most engaging collection of insights into the human mind I have read."
    Financial Times

- "It's truths are open to all."
    Guardian

-"There may be no other person on the planet who better understands how and why we make the choices we make."
    Steven D. Levitt, co-author of Freakonomics

-"As Corpenicus removed the earth from centre of the universe and Darwin knocked humans off their biological perch, Kahneman has shown that we are not the paragons of reason we assume ourselves to be."
    Economist

SS

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I wouldn't disagree that potential recruits to the armed forces could increase their understanding of the theory behind leadership and decision making by reading books. But, and it's a big but, you can only truly learn how to be an effective leader by actually doing it. You'll get it wrong sometimes; at the start, you may get it wrong quite a bit, but as long as you learn from your failures, you'll develop your own style and become a figurehead that subordinates will follow willingly, rather than out of curiosity.

I've not read the volume you recommend, but permit me to signpost potential candidates to this wee book by Col Bob Stewart. Col Stewart (now a Tory MP on the Commons Defence Select Committee) was a charismatic Army commander who came into public view during the Bosnia crisis. He was also a Company commander in N Ireland and lost boys in the Droppin Well bombing. The leadership traits he describes and backs up with personal examples are exactly what you need to know to become an effective officer or NCO. I can personally endorse the book as my best boss in a 30+ year RAF career was Col Bob's brother. If Bob was anything like his brother, then natural leadership runs in the family - a whole Sqn would have willingly followed Andy over the top. It takes a special skill to achieve, and the Stewarts have that skill in spades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Of course practice your running, press ups, sit-ups general fitness.

But even more than that...read this book.

"Thinking Fast & Slow" By Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winner. He served in the Israeli army but this isn't a military book. It's a book about decision-making.

Absolutely necessary insight for any Officer or SNCO, in my opinion.

Here's what some reviewers had to say about it:

- "A masterpiece. This one of the greatest and most engaging collection of insights into the human mind I have read."
    Financial Times

- "It's truths are open to all."
    Guardian

-"There may be no other person on the planet who better understands how and why we make the choices we make."
    Steven D. Levitt, co-author of Freakonomics

-"As Corpenicus removed the earth from centre of the universe and Darwin knocked humans off their biological perch, Kahneman has shown that we are not the paragons of reason we assume ourselves to be."
    Economist

SS
    Hey buddy, just came across your advice and wondering if you have studied the work of Daniel Kahneman? I wrote a Psychology paper which was influenced by the work he and Amos Tversky did called Prospect Theory: Decision making under uncertainty. If you have maybe 15 mins to spare have a read and if you cant find a copy i'll attach one here if you want me to.

Have a good day pal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by london2016)
    Hey buddy, just came across your advice and wondering if you have studied the work of Daniel Kahneman? I wrote a Psychology paper which was influenced by the work he and Amos Tversky did called Prospect Theory: Decision making under uncertainty. If you have maybe 15 mins to spare have a read and if you cant find a copy i'll attach one here if you want me to.

Have a good day pal
    I would love to have a read! He touches on it in aforementioned book but I'd love to read something more detailed on it!

ReputationRep:
    I just tried uploading it for you but its too chunky so here's the link buddy

https://psiexp.ss.uci.edu/research/t...neman_1974.pdf

enjoy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.