Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa007)
    do you think hed be stupid enuff to post it on his own computer?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    In a fit of rage I emailed the BBC to tell them of this story, point out how wrong the guardian's version of the truth is and defend ukl. I didn't sit take P2 myself, but I'd be furious if I found out anyone knew the questions for P5 before the exam. If anyone wants to see what I wrote, pm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa007)
    pretty much so, and its the exact question therefore it puts OTHERS at an advantage i.e. those that have already tried to tackle the question
    But can it actually be "cheating" when they didn't know?
    Cheating in the dictionary is "to act dishonestly; practice fraud; to violate rules deliberately". And no one except from Pete was being dishonest or deliberately breaking rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Surely logic dictates it can't be if they have no suspicion the questions form part of the exam? These guys who did P2 had no idea these were the questions, so I doubt they paid too much attention to them. If someone had said "Look, here's tomorrow's paper" then it may be different - but they were probably just among hundreds of revision questions they all glanced over.

It's like saying if you take an exam where you get a question that came up on your mocks, it's cheating.
    I would agree with your opening comments, although I don't think that it is quite the same as the situation you have outlined at the end of your reply.

In the cold light of day, having examined the Edexcel reported comments in the article, whether people like it or not, certain people have unwittingly viewed a stolen exam script.

In having access to (a part of) the stolen script, they have unintentionally gained an unfair advantage over the rest of the exam candidates. It is impossible to quantify how much or how little these questions aided the unsuspecting people who viewed them, but an external commentator may ask - is it fair that their grades should stand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    In a fit of rage I emailed the BBC to tell them of this story, point out how wrong the guardian's version of the truth is and defend ukl. I didn't sit take P2 myself, but I'd be furious if I found out anyone knew the questions for P5 before the exam. If anyone wants to see what I wrote, pm me.
    I am furious too! but am trying to clam down a bit before writing anything. I did the P2 exam yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Heres what Edexcel said about another exam of theirs that was leaked. Notice that you don't find any stories about AQA or OCR etc being leaked? The only AQA one was that english GCSE last year, and they reprinted the papers!

" It [edexcel ] also says it will check results against predicted grades to try to find the cheats, who will then be failed."

ReputationRep:
    Cheating in the dictionary is "to act dishonestly; practice fraud; to violate rules deliberately". And no one except from Pete was being dishonest or deliberately breaking rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAM*)
    People who helped pete chill out, how on earth was u meant to know that they were the exam questions, unless u were in on it of course! Jus calm down and take it as a lesson learnt, never trust a bloke name Pete and for goodness sake use your bloody textbooks if you want to do 'extra' questions in future, theres plenty in there!!!
    That's the problem though. This website was designed to allow people to aid each other in learning (hence the name uk-learning). If Edexcel start threatening people with cancelled papers for collaborating with cheaters, people will be more wary of helping people. If this happens, the usefulness of the website decreases. The best thing that could happen is for Edexcel to act quickly, find the individual and cancel his paper (I think it's within their rights to cancel it if they suspect foul play anyway) and exonerate everyone else so the site can get back to usual. Then again, this is the board that managed to let an incorrect question through its vetting procedure and on to examination desks accross the country.

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    the others are still at an advantage, period and i never mentioned them cheating, i mentioned him cheating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by female_engineer)
    I am furious too! but am trying to clam down a bit before writing anything. I did the P2 exam yesterday.
    It was the BBC rather than edexcel or the guardian so I wasn't furious with them, just hoping they'd do a better job of reporting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForbiddenThough)
    " It [edexcel ] also says it will check results against predicted grades to try to find the cheats, who will then be failed."
    what a load of *******s (edexcel, not you!) it is very common for actual grades to differ from predicted ones! people are scared by their predicted grades, work their butts off and get decent grades. Edexcel then jumps in and says 'oh look, they got an A but were predicted C, they must have cheated, their result is now null and void'. pillocks.

ReputationRep:
    ] " It [edexcel ] also says it will check results against predicted grades to try to find the cheats, who will then be failed."

WTF, Have they heard of hrad work?????????/

ReputationRep:
    Peeps, best bet is to write in - to Edexcel, the papers, the Net watchdogs etc. There's no way such a useful forum like this deserves to be slandered when it provides such a wonderful environment for the users, especially with the tireless voluntary work by the moderators to keep it that way! I doubt the Edexcel bods would give a damn if the paper hadn't been posted up here - they're just making a song and dance about it because ickle Katy did the right thing and told them about it.

Say that paper had leaked among this pete2004's mates and nobody else - no one would've known! Edexcel would've just sat on their sweet little bums and given him and his friends grade As without a thought, and UKL would be totally unaffected.

Honesty gets you fewer and fewer places nowadays

ReputationRep:
    Heres what Edexcel said about another exam of theirs that was leaked. Notice that you don't find any stories about AQA or OCR etc being leaked? The only AQA one was that english GCSE last year, and they reprinted the papers!

they cant do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    i also wrote an email. same applies - pm me to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    WTF, Have they heard of hrad work?????????/
    i know i learn all my stuf just b4 the exams so during the yr im really crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I would agree with your opening comments, although I don't think that it is quite the same as the situation you have outlined at the end of your reply.

In the cold light of day, having examined the Edexcel reported comments in the article, whether people like it or not, certain people have unwittingly viewed a stolen exam script.

In having access to (a part of) the stolen script, they have unintentionally gained an unfair advantage over the rest of the exam candidates. It is impossible to quantify how much or how little these questions aided the unsuspecting people who viewed them, but an external commentator may ask - is it fair that their grades should stand?
    There's nothing to stop pete2004 or anybody else on the site from claiming it wasn't them behind the computer if they sat the exam, as anybody else in the house that they live in could have been on the computer at the time. Could they withdraw his or anybody else's claim if they say it was someone else in the house that they live in online who unwittingly saw the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    they cant do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I know!1 have they heard of hrad work???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    i just twisted the story a little just like the media (sorry if i scared anyone!)
    i think i just **** me pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    I know!1 have they heard of hrad work???
    its nt hard work its working ur ass off just b4 the exam

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.