Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Peeps, best bet is to write in - to Edexcel, the papers, the Net watchdogs etc. There's no way such a useful forum like this deserves to be slandered when it provides such a wonderful environment for the users, especially with the tireless voluntary work by the moderators to keep it that way! I doubt the Edexcel bods would give a damn if the paper hadn't been posted up here - they're just making a song and dance about it because ickle Katy did the right thing and told them about it.

Say that paper had leaked among this pete2004's mates and nobody else - no one would've known! Edexcel would've just sat on their sweet little bums and given him and his friends grade As without a thought, and UKL would be totally unaffected.

Honesty gets you fewer and fewer places nowadays
    It would of been better if the stupid cocks who decided to contact the guardian bbc edexcel etc didnt. It was so obvious this was going to happen

(Original post by tammypotato)
    they cant do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I am very sure that if someone gets a better grade than predicted they will not automatically cancel their papers but just investigate that person. Say you lost more marks on the Qs that were on UKL rather than that weren't - that would show you achieved it through your own merit (unless you live next dorr to this Pete bloke or something!)

(Original post by meepmeep)
    There's nothing to stop pete2004 or anybody else on the site from claiming it wasn't them behind the computer if they sat the exam, as anybody else in the house that they live in could have been on the computer at the time. Could they withdraw his or anybody else's claim if they say it was someone else in the house that they live in online who unwittingly saw the paper?

however say if the people that live there are 2 grandparents and an 18 year old lad taking P2 this year who is the likely suspect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I would agree with your opening comments, although I don't think that it is quite the same as the situation you have outlined at the end of your reply.

In the cold light of day, having examined the Edexcel reported comments in the article, whether people like it or not, certain people have unwittingly viewed a stolen exam script.

In having access to (a part of) the stolen script, they have unintentionally gained an unfair advantage over the rest of the exam candidates. It is impossible to quantify how much or how little these questions aided the unsuspecting people who viewed them, but an external commentator may ask - is it fair that their grades should stand?
    uh yes.

i helped with one question.

i did not know it was a 2004 question. how fair is it that i could lose my uni place and practically a year of my life when i was just trying to help.

ReputationRep:
    So it's true...you really shouldn't believe what you read in the news. I really hope nothing bad happens to the students that did help pete2004 - how were they to know? how were the mods to know?

It seems that ukl is becoming the scapegoat of this fiasco - blame should be correctly placed. And that is not with ukl.

The guardian really should have checked their facts before printing that article - it seems very incompetent to print such misleading information.

Does anyone know if any of the (printed) newspapers have reported on this yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    uh yes.

i did not know it was a 2004 question. how fair is it that i could lose my uni place and practically a year of my life when i was just trying to help.
    Exactly, well done musicboy, PRICK.

ReputationRep:
    woh I have missed a whole loada info. here. What's the current state of the situation then? (I don't do P2, but I'm curious)

ReputationRep:
    I see this pete2004 posted a thread titled "Am Famous" but it has been "moved". Did anyone see what he wrote there?

Seems to me he's not that bothered about this whole thing, judging by the title?

ReputationRep:
    If i write a letter, do i sign my name or what?

and what would the heading be??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    I see this pete2004 posted a thread titled "Am Famous" but it has been "moved". Did anyone see what he wrote there?

Seems to me he's not that bothered about this whole thing, judging by the title?
    It was under the name pete2k4, a different alias so could have been a joke by a troll. If it was a troll, it's a bloody stupid thing to do, as it implicates his or herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    woh I have missed a whole loada info. here. What's the current state of the situation then? (I don't do P2, but I'm curious)
    Someone asked for help on P2 questions which actually turned up in the exam.

ReputationRep:

It was just some guy going "thanks for helping me." Was probably a fake.

(Original post by imasillynarb)
    Exactly, well done musicboy, PRICK.
    Oh be quiet. They were bound to find out some way. I am sure a lot of people told their friends etc who could have reported it even if that particular person didn't. I would have said something if no one else had. It's only fair that geniune cheaters get caught and punished. I'm certainly not covering up for cheaters.

If you don't have anything to hide, why are you being quite so upset over this? I very much doubt UKL will be shut down over this. I also very much doubt that anyone's uni place will be seriously jeapordised.

Even if enough people had an advantage that the UMS boundaries change, it would only be by a very small amount. How students find the paper is not the only thing that influences UMS boundaries anyway; the exam board compare the "difficulty" as assessed by (I think) teachers/examiners to previous years.

Rosie

ReputationRep:

that wasn't him,that was pete2k4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    It would of been better if the stupid cocks who decided to contact the guardian bbc edexcel etc didnt. It was so obvious this was going to happen
    Errr, and what would be the use of that? Believe me, the boards have people checking forums such as these, as well as the coursework websites to ensure that no plagiarism is occurring. That would have landed the mods in even more hot water if the threads were discovered and nobody had reported it.

ReputationRep:
    uh yes.

You will not lose your place at uni. If worst comes to worst, they could cancel your result on this module and take your predicted grade, which is what they do in exceptional circumstances anyway if somebody misses an exam in certain situations.

ReputationRep:
    uh yes.

I sympathise with you totally - I am not an Edexcel S2 candidate, but I am trying to view it from their point of view. You are totally not to blame, however, in unwittingly having access to the stolen paper (no matter how much you 'took in', so to speak) - you have gained an advantage over the rest of the field. Some people (most likely several S2 candidates) may argue, is this fair?

I am not trying to adopt a negative or unduly harsh stance towards the people who unwittingly viewed the stolen questions - I do not for a minute doubt your integrity, or the fact that you have all worked very hard and have serious, serious things at stake in this whole matter.

I totally blame Edexcel over this matter and the fool who posted in the first instance - and not you people for a minute. However, the whole situation is not fair on you and certainly isn't fair on the x number of people who sat the exam without receiving assistance (whether intentional or voluntary). Exactly what line will be taken by Edexcel with regards to this seems to be up in the air at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Oh be quiet. They were bound to find out some way. I am sure a lot of people told their friends etc who could have reported it even if that particular person didn't. I would have said something if no one else had. It's only fair that geniune cheaters get caught and punished. I'm certainly not covering up for cheaters.

If you don't have anything to hide, why are you being quite so upset over this? I very much doubt UKL will be shut down over this. I also very much doubt that anyone's uni place will be seriously jeapordised.

Even if enough people had an advantage that the UMS boundaries change, it would only be by a very small amount. How students find the paper is not the only thing that influences UMS boundaries anyway; the exam board compare the "difficulty" as assessed by (I think) teachers/examiners to previous years.

Rosie
    hmmm, but let it be a lesson learned that in these situations, you consult the proper authorities (in this case the board) and think long and hard before writing to the press. I'm not accusing anybody here and if I'd have sat the exam myself I'd have felt like doing that, but just think carefully before you write to the press (not that anybody has necesserily done so).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    If i write a letter, do i sign my name or what?

and what would the heading be??
    sign KOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    its nt hard work its working ur ass off just b4 the exam

6 of one half a dozen of another...i.e. same thing!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.