Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    What do mean by proof?
    Someone can be 'suspected' of cheating, the board informed, and their grades cancelled. Edexcel are king in this game - they can enforce decisions merely on suspicion.
    for example, evidence that the messages were posted from that person's computer, or a copy of the paper found in the person's house when they had no good explanation for having one.

I really and truly do not see why they would "suspect" and single out one or two people with absolutely no kind of evidence or justification for that person having cheated.

Even if someone did read and post on the threads with the questions, they haven't done anything wrong - they had no idea that these questions were from the paper. Why would their whole A-level be cancelled?

If they did single you out and cancelled your papers with not a shred of justification for having done so, as I said I think you would have a strong case to sue them, if there was geniunely absolutely no indication that you cheated.

ReputationRep:
    MAKE IT STOP - the server is always busy, it's killing me - make the horrid police go away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    for example, evidence that the messages were posted from that person's computer, or a copy of the paper found in the person's house when they had no good explanation for having one.

I really and truly do not see why they would "suspect" and single out one or two people with absolutely no kind of evidence or justification for that person having cheated.

Even if someone did read and post on the threads with the questions, they haven't done anything wrong - they had no idea that these questions were from the paper. Why would their whole A-level be cancelled?

If they did single you out and cancelled your papers with not a shred of justification for having done so, as I said I think you would have a strong case to sue them, if there was geniunely absolutely no indication that you cheated.
    Let me make it clear - nobody has been accused of 'cheating' other than Pete2004. However, people on this forum have unwittingly gained an unfair advantage over other S2 candidates, simply by viewing the stolen questions.

Edexcel may see it fit to cancel their grades not because of intentional cheating, but because people have gone in to the exam knowing the questions (I say 'knowing the questions', because as I discussed previously, Edexcel has to assume that people have taken full advantage of the 7? questions posted).

As to how Edexcel deals with this is anybody's guess - it may well involve grade cancellation and re-examination. As Edexcel have pointed out in the Polly Curtis article, they need to find out the extent of circulation of these questions and, in wider terms, the leaked paper itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    MAKE IT STOP - the server is always busy, it's killing me - make the horrid police go away!
    I know!!! It's taken me 20 minutes to get on here. Thank you very much Guardian for publishing this story!

Let me make it clear - nobody has been accused of 'cheating' other than Pete2004. However, people on this forum have unwittingly gained an unfair advantage over other S2 candidates, simply by viewing the stolen questions.

Edexcel may see it fit to cancel their grades not because of intentional cheating, but because people have gone in to the exam knowing the questions (I say 'knowing the questions', because as I discussed previously, Edexcel has to assume that people have taken full advantage of the 7? questions posted).

As to how Edexcel deals with this is anybody's guess - it may well involve grade cancellation and re-examination. As Edexcel have pointed out in the Polly Curtis article, they need to find out the extent of circulation of these questions and, in wider terms, the leaked paper itself.

I actually did say this - that they might ignore the P2 result and average the other modules etc, if you read what I said. (by the way, it's P2 not S2)

Imasillynarb was suggesting his entire a level (not just the p2 grade) would summarily be cancelled.

rosie

ReputationRep:

But what if it was someone's older sibbling/parents looking for questions to help their younger sibbling? Surely that would be an adequate defence for anybody who has seen the offending questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

Youre totally missing the point. Anyone who viewed the questions before the exam has gained an advantage, and therefore in edexcels eyes, has 'cheated'.

ReputationRep:

it's P2 not S2 you silly person, get your facts straight before posting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I actually did say this - that they might ignore the P2 result and average the other modules etc, if you read what I said. (by the way, it's P2 not S2)

Imasillynarb was suggesting his entire a level (not just the p2 grade) would summarily be cancelled.

rosie
    Lets not get carried away here, I didnt see any of petes threads before the exam(luckily for me).

If you cheat in one module, and by cheat I mean see the questions before everyone else...then your whole A level for that subject gets cancelled. And, your other A-levels might be cancelled as well..

ReputationRep:
    so how exactly do the police and edexcel plan to find out the identity of Pete2004? are they in contact with the mods and d, to establish his IP?

as many people have argued here, i think the individual students who helped Pete2004 should come through this unscathed, however, UKL may take a battering to it's reputation, as the media frequently twist stories to suit their liking, and that article suggests that the website is to blame for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    so how exactly do the police and edexcel plan to find out the identity of Pete2004? are they in contact with the mods and d, to establish his IP?

as many people have argued here, i think the individual students who helped Pete2004 should come through this unscathed, however, UKL may take a battering to it's reputation, as the media frequently twist stories to suit their liking, and that article suggests that the website is to blame for this.
    i think teh guardian has something against ukl.

i remember something about jools and the guardian. they said something nasty.

of course, i really hope edexcel dont decide to cancel exams becuase all 4 of my subjects are with edexcel.
    but like i said, in all likelyhood nothng will happen (i hope)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Exactly, well done musicboy, PRICK.
    I think this iss really unfair. I stand by my judgement. I do not want peoplee to be disadvantageed.

MB

Lets not get carried away here, I didnt see any of petes threads before the exam(luckily for me).

If you cheat in one module, and by cheat I mean see the questions before everyone else...then your whole A level for that subject gets cancelled. And, your other A-levels might be cancelled as well..
    Who's getting carried away?

I really fail to see why an innocent person who saw the questions, not knowing they were on the paper, would have all their A-levels cancelled. Their p2 grade I can understand. ALL their A levels??

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i think teh guardian has something against ukl.

i remember something about jools and the guardian. they said something nasty.

of course, i really hope edexcel dont decide to cancel exams becuase all 4 of my subjects are with edexcel.
    but like i said, in all likelyhood nothng will happen (i hope)
    There is absolutely no way that they will cancel any of your other subject results. As far as I can see, the absolute worst thing they can do is cancel that module, in which case they'd take your predicted grades, but I think the most likely result will be nothing happens. After all, they are a business, and stories in the press that "I didn't get into university due to Edexcel's ineptitude" don't go down well. You'll be fine.

Youre totally missing the point. Anyone who viewed the questions before the exam has gained an advantage, and therefore in edexcels eyes, has 'cheated'.
    I am not missing the point.

If you saw the questions, say on UKL, completely innocently and without knowledge they would be on the paper, you may have gained an advantage that is unfair to other candidates, but you certainly didn't cheat. Cheating is when it is deliberate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Who's getting carried away?

I really fail to see why an innocent person who saw the questions, not knowing they were on the paper, would have all their A-levels cancelled. Their p2 grade I can understand. ALL their A levels??

Rosie
    Thats the way it works Im afraid, if you are caught cheating they cancel your WHOLE A level in that subject and they contact your other exam boards in your other subjects to tell them that youve had your grades cancelled because of cheating, and its within their rights to cancel your other subjects grades if they want to.

ReputationRep:

The nature that any punishment takes is entirely up to the exam board. I know somebody whose mobile went off in the middle of a General Studies A2 exam - the recommendation from the exam board (AQA) was that all his results with that board be cancelled. My Headmaster had to beg and plead with AQA and in the end got the punishment scaled down to just the guy's General Studies A2 mark being voided.

As for people saying "Oh this is unfair on certain people, how where they meant to know?" etc. I ask those very same questions as well, however you cannot ignore the fact that some people theoretically had access to 62.5% of the paper before they went in and others didn't.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The nature that any punishment takes is entirely up to the exam board. I know somebody whose mobile went off in the middle of a General Studies A2 exam - the recommendation from the exam board (AQA) was that all his results with that board be cancelled. My Headmaster had to beg and plead with AQA and in the end got the punishment scaled down to just the guy's General Studies A2 mark being voided.

As for people saying "Oh this is unfair on certain people, how where they meant to know?" etc. I ask those very same questions as well, however you cannot ignore the fact that some people theoretically had access to 62.5% of the paper before they went in and others didn't.
    I know someone who went into a Physics practical with stuff written on her hand. She was disqualified from Physcs(AQA) Chemistry(AQA) Maths(Edexcel).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete2004.)
    argh!!!! ur the ********

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.