Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would really appreciate some advice. I'll try to summarise.

I study EEE at Glasgow, second year; didn't attend any classes during first year or semester one of second year. I mean that literally, I haven't even seen the faces of many of our lecturers. I was pretty depressed and *very* apathetic, I barely even crammed and friends did class tests/projects for me. I was borderline alcoholic, lost 4 part time jobs because of drinking (I was always ill). I didn't actually enjoy drinking, it wasn't standard fresher binging it was a full blown alcohol problem.

I guess what went wrong was that, at some point, I convinced myself I couldn't do it anyway. I've been attending classes this semester but it's not enough to miss 3 semesters then try to do a 180 is it? I had to drop out of all the exams last semester and they've been postponed to August. So I'm effectively undertaking a double semester, with really shaky basics/no background knowledge. An important thing to point out is that I've been such a mess that even waking up early every morning is an overwhelmingly big change for me. So the fact that I'm going to classes has taken me aback, which is annoying because I need to do a lot more than this to succeed. And I'm already feeling the pressure. When I was in 5th year (equivalent to A-levels), I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and I got *****y results in my exams. The course I'm doing only took me on because of medical certificates etc.

I feel *****y writing this, like I'm making excuses for myself and being whiny. I really need advice tho, I have no idea what to do.

The options are
    1. take the exams, find a way to backlog
    2. pull out of the exams and repeat 2nd year (haven't taken any exams so I could do this cleanly without any 'fails' or consequences if you know what I mean)
    3. Consider changing course (this isn't really possible 'cause bad grades at high school).

There's a lot more to it but I don't want to ramble anymore, ask me anything you like that might be relevant. I've tried speaking with course mates and I know what my advisor is going to say. I'd really appreciate some input from TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara I)
    I would really appreciate some advice. I'll try to summarise.

I study EEE at Glasgow, second year; didn't attend any classes during first year or semester one of second year. I mean that literally, I haven't even seen the faces of many of our lecturers. I was pretty depressed and *very* apathetic, I barely even crammed and friends did class tests/projects for me. I was borderline alcoholic, lost 4 part time jobs because of drinking (I was always ill). I didn't actually enjoy drinking, it wasn't standard fresher binging it was a full blown alcohol problem.

I guess what went wrong was that, at some point, I convinced myself I couldn't do it anyway. I've been attending classes this semester but it's not enough to miss 3 semesters then try to do a 180 is it? I had to drop out of all the exams last semester and they've been postponed to August. So I'm effectively undertaking a double semester, with really shaky basics/no background knowledge. An important thing to point out is that I've been such a mess that even waking up early every morning is an overwhelmingly big change for me. So the fact that I'm going to classes has taken me aback, which is annoying because I need to do a lot more than this to succeed. And I'm already feeling the pressure. When I was in 5th year (equivalent to A-levels), I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and I got *****y results in my exams. The course I'm doing only took me on because of medical certificates etc.

I feel *****y writing this, like I'm making excuses for myself and being whiny. I really need advice tho, I have no idea what to do.

The options are
    1. take the exams, find a way to backlog
    2. pull out of the exams and repeat 2nd year (haven't taken any exams so I could do this cleanly without any 'fails' or consequences if you know what I mean)
    3. Consider changing course (this isn't really possible 'cause bad grades at high school).

There's a lot more to it but I don't want to ramble anymore, ask me anything you like that might be relevant. I've tried speaking with course mates and I know what my advisor is going to say. I'd really appreciate some input from TSR.
    Wait let me get this clear....you have to do first year exams as well as second year ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    Wait let me get this clear....you have to do first year exams as well as second year ones?
    No just all of the second year ones (crammed together kinda) but I think I might have still been high when I wrote this, really depressing come down anyway. I'm feeling a lot better now, still stressed but just gonna try my best and hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara I)
    No just all of the second year ones (crammed together kinda) but I think I might have still been high when I wrote this, really depressing come down anyway. I'm feeling a lot better now, still stressed but just gonna try my best and hope it works out.
    In that case I suggest you get your addictions under serious control as this will give you the best chance to turn this around. Try as best as you can to keep up with the content and look up last years stuff if necessary too!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you! Whatever you do don't give up, you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    You should really talk to student support services:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/support/

and seriously consider talking to the student counselling and advice service:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/counselling/

Honestly, I think you are setting yourself up to fail here, which realistically isn't going to help you feel any better about the situation and wont help with any alcohol issues you already have.

My advice would be to ask about deferral of this academic year, and then retake the second year once you have dealt with the various issues you are currently facing.

A further complication here is that you won't be eligible for student finance if you start another degree in the future, you only ever get 1 year extra for do-overs or change of degree course. If you take the time out now to get yourself in a better place and spend some of the time out of university reviewing the work you should have covered in the first and second years, you will then be in a much better position to re-start the second year again in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.