Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    When people can by an ounce of temporary satisfaction for $10
    An oz for $10? What?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When people can by an ounce of temporary satisfaction for $10, they become less motivated to do what society demands of them.
    But not when it comes in a bottle? Hows that work then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    An oz for $10? What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he needs to get me in touch with his dealer I'm used to £15 per gram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    Maybe cause he's in the US its cheaper there and legal in some states; over here you can get £10 a gram dk why u pay £15 lul

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    I was thinking the same.

(Original post by alkaline.)
    Maybe cause he's in the US its cheaper there and legal in some states; over here you can get £10 a gram dk why u pay £15 lul

Posted from TSR Mobile

To put it into perspective an oz in the UK is normally between £200 - £250. Even in the US where it is legal it is still taxed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Preserving health has never been the issue. People who argue that alcohol/tobacco have more adverse affects on health are technically correct, while simultaneously missing the important reality. The real issue with most narcotics is that they diminish productivity. I know many high-performing alcoholics. I can think of plenty of professionally successful smokers. There seems to be plenty of people who use alcohol and tobacco as a means to relieve work related stress. Too many pot smokers consider marijuana to be a lifestyle. Every chronic marijuana user I know of is an under-performer. Endorphins and Euphoria have evolved to serve as a human motivation. It was never meant to be a social entitlement. When people can by an ounce of temporary satisfaction for $10, they become less motivated to do what society demands of them.
    When happiness is a product of behavior, which enhances our survival probabilities, our species benefits. When happiness is a product, of something that is smoked, our species stagnates.

This post contains an awful lot of vast generalisations and bs imo. In a nutshell, you basically posted this:

I know people who drink/get drunk a lot and are successful. I also know people who smoke weed a lot and underachieve.
    Therefore:
    alcohol = ok
    weed = not ok
    You also appear to be comparing products of general alcohol consumption with that of chronic cannabis consumption and using the result to show how bad weed is.

While you may know various high performing alcoholics, that statement is utterly void because I can just as easily counter it by naming all the alcoholics from my hometown and around who are far from high performing. For example, there was a man who was once head boy when he was at school, got addicted to alcohol and would spend most of his day intoxicated in the town center shouting at people, directing traffic or just minding his own on one of the benches, I should also note he has been dead several years now from liver failure. There are several others just like him, but I thought I'd talk about him given that he obviously had a once promising future which was squandered due to alcohol addiction.

You also state that all chronic users of weed are underperformers, yeah, no ****. Chronic users of any recreational drug will be an underperfomer, but that is because they are spending too much time not doing something productive due to their habit of drug consumption.

There are plenty of people who use weed to relieve stress as well, and when smoked without tobacco it is a healthier stress relief and has a much lower (if any) chance of addiction than both tobacco and alcohol.

As for that part about the endrophins etc I won't even bother to discuss that for the obvious fact that I can easily replace ounce with 1/2ltr and make the statement refer to alcohol or just about any drug.

And in regards to the 'lifestyle' thing, no idea what you even mean by that, but seems like a massive assumption you've conjured up yourself. Not sure how taking weed means it is a certain type of lifestyle, yet daily drinkers and tobacco smokers are exempt from your 'negative lifestyle' opinion.

I'll leave you with an article which includes quotes from Mark Johnstone, CEO of Descartes Labs.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles...on-dot-and-pot

ReputationRep:
    If it's not having any effect on you, you're buying crappy weed.

ReputationRep:
    I love weed. Weed loves me ok. We love each other. Let us love. Let us laugh. Let us live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    If it's not having any effect on you, you're buying crappy weed.
    He's literally buying grass. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango peeler)
    He's literally buying grass. :rofl:
    Probably a big bag of stems cut with pieces of his dealer's yard trimmings. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Probably a big bag of stems cut with pieces of his dealer's yard trimmings. Haha.
    I've literally heard of **** like this, and they get the placebo affect pretending to be high and everyone clowns them. Or they're just vexed they wasted money b/c they don't know how to buy it and check for real weed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Like, what's the point?

It's overrated, expensive, smells awful, doesn't even have any effect (on me)?

The only benefit I can see from it is that it lowers obesity rates.
    Expensive is subjective, it's cheap compared to a night out on the lash.

You say it smells awful, I say it smells great. Who's to say who's right?

As you say it has no effect on you, I assume you just had a toke of someone else's joint? This isn't enough to have any real effect. You may also have not "taken it back" properly. If you want to try it properly, I would recommend you take a couple of good bong hits, you'll feel that and know if you like it. It's not for everyone.

I only get pissed if I can smoke weed at the same time. I end up not drinking as much and get absolutely no hangover.

I also like to smoke a small joint while I'm walking the dog really early in the morning, it puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

I'm not going to say it's good for you, most (all?) smoke contains human carcinogens. The compounds in weed however do have recognised medical uses in the UK;
    Marinol (AKA Dronabinol) is pure THC and is used as an appetite stimulant for people on chemo.
    Sativex is a spray containing THC and CBD and is used to reduce symptoms in people with MS.

To whoever said alcohol is only legal because it's old, ayahuasca is around 5000 years old, yet DMT is illegal.

TL;DR A little weed never hurt anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I don't care for weed. I wish it were legal though so people wouldn't feel 'cool' for having it in their possession and I wouldn't have to constantly see people 'blowing trees' on snapchat *yawn*
    tbh I don't think anyone who smokes weed considers having weed/showing it off cool. In fact I cannot think of a single friend who blazes either with me or I know who blazes but don't regularly blaze with(usually always blaze with them once as stoners will blaze it whenever they both find out they both blaze it. 420 blaze it phgt) and none of them ever post anything weed related (except to friends who with they blaze it or know who blazes it), I would go as far to say that any sort of pictures involving faces and/or weed never make it things like facebook or something that doesn't erase should it come upon unwanted eyes (probably with exception of anyone I've blazed it with who live in a tropical island country or something bc no1 gives af there).But the funny thing is, just saw you got spotted by a potential employer in a photo passing a spliff or something you'd end up getting judged negatively in respect to that same photo without weed but with beer instead. However the outcome of the night of the weed scenario would probably end in a night of chatting and laughs followed by a period of silence when everyone is so blazed out and they got to get some dat sleep asap. Whereas maybe the beer night you got so smashed off your face you got into a fight or something and end up attacking someone or being attacked, or vandalizing, or raping someone, etc you get the picture, alcohol is much worse statistically that weed when it comes to involvement in deaths, assaults, car accidents, rapes etc etc yet it looks worse if you are seen smoking weed than drinking beer??? wtf?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    I have never even tried weed but I find your thread stupid, something about that combination of words just doesn't sit well with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Like, what's the point?

It's overrated, expensive, smells awful, doesn't even have any effect (on me)?
    That's because you aren't smoking it correctly. Try it in brownies.

ReputationRep:
    it's great u shld try... jk it's pointless and a waste of money when you could use it to buy chocolate instead or a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksandcats)
    it's great u shld try... jk it's pointless and a waste of money when you could use it to buy chocolate instead or a life.
    Finally. A well thought-out and intelligent post on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    tbh I don't think anyone who smokes weed considers having weed/showing it off cool. In fact I cannot think of a single friend who blazes either with me or I know who blazes but don't regularly blaze with(usually always blaze with them once as stoners will blaze it whenever they both find out they both blaze it. 420 blaze it phgt) and none of them ever post anything weed related (except to friends who with they blaze it or know who blazes it), I would go as far to say that any sort of pictures involving faces and/or weed never make it things like facebook or something that doesn't erase should it come upon unwanted eyes (probably with exception of anyone I've blazed it with who live in a tropical island country or something bc no1 gives af there).But the funny thing is, just saw you got spotted by a potential employer in a photo passing a spliff or something you'd end up getting judged negatively in respect to that same photo without weed but with beer instead. However the outcome of the night of the weed scenario would probably end in a night of chatting and laughs followed by a period of silence when everyone is so blazed out and they got to get some dat sleep asap. Whereas maybe the beer night you got so smashed off your face you got into a fight or something and end up attacking someone or being attacked, or vandalizing, or raping someone, etc you get the picture, alcohol is much worse statistically that weed when it comes to involvement in deaths, assaults, car accidents, rapes etc etc yet it looks worse if you are seen smoking weed than drinking beer??? wtf?!?!?
    Then you're living in a bubble. A lot of people who smoke weed publicise it on social media. Why else would they do that if not to show people that they have something illegal?
    Faces make it on snapchat all the time as well as people's frequent trips to Amsterdam and documentation of it..
    Even without faces, they'd still post a picture of their spliff or their weed or the 'cool' smoke bubbles and tricks they can do with it..
    I didnt mention anything about alcohol. In fact, I said that weed should be legal.
    It looks worse because weed is illegal and alcohol isn't. if you publicly commit an illegal act, of course you're going to be negatively judged because you are not conforming to the law.
    I'd never encourage anyone to start smoking weed, I'd never encourage anyone to smoke cigarettes either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Then you're living in a bubble. A lot of people who smoke weed publicise it on social media. Why else would they do that if not to show people that they have something illegal?
    Faces make it on snapchat all the time as well as people's frequent trips to Amsterdam and documentation of it..
    Even without faces, they'd still post a picture of their spliff or their weed or the 'cool' smoke bubbles and tricks they can do with it..
    I didnt mention anything about alcohol. In fact, I said that weed should be legal.
    It looks worse because weed is illegal and alcohol isn't. if you publicly commit an illegal act, of course you're going to be negatively judged because you are not conforming to the law.
    I'd never encourage anyone to start smoking weed, I'd never encourage anyone to smoke cigarettes either
    Sorry, but who are you to say that I live in a bubble? I am aware that people post weed related stuff on social media, but as mentioned I doubt these people are regular (at least a few times a month) users. I wouldn't say that people who post pictures online of them taking weed are people who smoke weed, chances are they are just one off/once every blue moon users who may very well think it is cool or just find a huge novelty in smoking a banned substance.

I've had several separate groups of friends over the past 10 years who would be regular tokers and not a single one of them ever posted a weed related picture online. Snapchat is different (and I hinted at snapchat in my post) because the image/video would be incredibly hard to retrieve should someone try, the fact you send it to specific people means you can send it to people you know aren't going to screenshot it an post it elsewhere.

So yeah, maybe it is just that I have been lucky and the various friendship circles I have been in where weed was a favored drug over alcohol where made up of people sensible enough not to be plastering newfeeds with weed pics, or perhaps you have too many friends who are so immature and inexperienced with weed that anytime they get their hands on some they feel the need to share it with the internet. Though given that I can think of at least 6 separate friendship groups and never a single instance of publicly sharing weed images suggests that it is probably just because you have too many idiots on in your online friendships.

Generally the weed images I see online come from famous people, usually musicians, actors etc where it is more common and accepted.

When we went to Amsterdam we made sure no pictures that suggested we were blazing made it online. I can think of one group of people who smoke it and posted images on fb of people smoking in a circle while in dam, I highly doubt they did it thinking 'wow we so cool', maybe they did, I don't really know them particularly well, but I'd be surprise if those few photos wouldn't have been posted if it was legalised...I mean it was legal where they were when the time it was taken, so surely that defeats the 'think it is cool bc it is illegal' argument, or certainly waters it down a lot.

Yes I know you said it should be legal, but one reason was due to people posting it online, that wouldn't stop if it became legal I doubt. People like snoop dog, wiz khalifa, etc are looked up to by many, chances are your buddies who think it is cool, think it is cool because of the media attention it gets from the like of those just mentioned. Legalising it might take weed out of some song lyrics, but I highly doubt the likes of Wiz Khalifa rap about weed so much because it is illegal.

Also the alcohol part was rhetorical, I was making a side point on just how ironic the negative view on weed is.

ReputationRep:
    The real issue with most narcotics is that they diminish productivity. I know many high-performing alcoholics. I can think of plenty of professionally successful smokers. There seems to be plenty of people who use alcohol and tobacco as a means to relieve work related stress. Too many pot smokers consider marijuana to be a lifestyle. Every chronic marijuana user I know of is an under-performer.

When happiness is a product of behavior, which enhances our survival probabilities, our species benefits. When happiness is a product, of something that is smoked, our species stagnates.
    This is real life... Not A level economics.

For a start I think you have an incorrect definition for alcoholics, is it productive to turn up hungover or all ready drunk to work, as well as all the damage and cost to society? So its a really unfair comparison between a little alcohol or tobacco for occasional stress relief to someone who smokes weed all day.

For the record I was able to use weed as stress relief. I would go the library and work for most of the day and then smoke to chill out in the evening. I find it difficult to switch off, so I would still be working on essays etc in my head at home even if I was trying to relax, weed gives me that time to replenish so that I didn't work myself into the ground and could go back more focused the day after. I genuinely think I would have burnt out without it.

As for the last bit, are you high? Nothing that gives happiness that doesn't promote the improvement of our species should be banned? Bye contraception.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.