Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im a second year student going to drop my course. If i want to start a new course from level 1 i don't think i will get the £9000 in tuition fees for the first year, but would i still be able to apply for maintenance loan?
    • Welcome Squad

Hey,

Student Finance will only be able to cover you for the number of years your course lasts + 1 year.

If you're in second year, you would have essentially used up two years, leaving you with only two years left of student finance support. Therefore, if you were to take up a new degree, you'd have to fund yourself for one of the three years - you'll need to think about how you will do that.
    If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Hey,

Student Finance will only be able to cover you for the number of years your course lasts + 1 year.

If you're in second year, you would have essentially used up two years, leaving you with only two years left of student finance support. Therefore, if you were to take up a new degree, you'd have to fund yourself for one of the three years - you'll need to think about how you will do that.
    If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
    I am currently enrolled on Mathematics with Computer Science with a placement year, so would the number of years my course last be 4? So student finance will cover me for 5 years? or they don't count the placement year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_1995)
    I am currently enrolled on Mathematics with Computer Science with a placement year, so would the number of years my course last be 4? So student finance will cover me for 5 years? or they don't count the placement year?
    It's actually:

Length of new course + 1 then - previous years of study....

So it depends how many years your new course will be. If your new course is 3 years then

3 + 1 = 4
    4- 2 = 2

you will get 2 years of full funding as the previous poster stated.... bare in mind though they will fund the last two years so it will be the first year you will need to self fund.

You might find these links helpful:
    Change of course

ReputationRep:
    is the new postgraduate financing included within the four years available finance??
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by anonymous_1995)
    I'll forward your question to Carnationlilyrose, who'll clarify whether an optional year in industry is or isn't included in the student finance provided.

What I do know is that for placement years, the maximum funding of the loan is less than the actual maintenance loan. Whether or not it is completely separate to the maintenance loan, hopefully the helper I've tagged will clarify it for you.

If you have anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    I'll forward your question to Carnationlilyrose, who'll clarify whether an optional year in industry is or isn't included in the student finance provided.

What I do know is that for placement years, the maximum funding of the loan is less than the actual maintenance loan. Whether or not it is completely separate to the maintenance loan, hopefully the helper I've tagged will clarify it for you.

If you have anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me!
    Money is not my area, but the formula is length of course plus one year minus any years taken, so it will all be covered.The year in industry will be paid, so I don't think there's a maintenance loan for that, and I believe the fees are reduced for that year. I will tag in Klix88 who is the go-to for issues of this sort.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any direct experience, but if you Google "student finance placement year", a number of universities have useful summaries.

Nottingham Trent's indicates that you will get a Maintenance Loan, but how much you get will depend on how often you're required to be at uni during your placement year. More than ten weeks, and it seems that you'll get your full Maintenance Loan for the year. Less than ten weeks and you'll get about half that.
    https://www.ntu.ac.uk/student_servic...ads/112263.pdf

If your placement pays you a wage, this will not affect how much Maintenance Loan you get.

Usual health warning - always check this info direct with SF before making plans, signing accommodation contracts or setting budgets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I don't have any direct experience, but if you Google "student finance placement year", a number of universities have useful summaries.

Nottingham Trent's indicates that you will get a Maintenance Loan, but how much you get will depend on how often you're required to be at uni during your placement year. More than ten weeks, and it seems that you'll get your full Maintenance Loan for the year. Less than ten weeks and you'll get about half that.
    https://www.ntu.ac.uk/student_servic...ads/112263.pdf

If your placement pays you a wage, this will not affect how much Maintenance Loan you get.

Usual health warning - always check this info direct with SF before making plans, signing accommodation contracts or setting budgets.
    Thanks for popping along - you are always a mine of information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Thanks for popping along - you are always a mine of information!
    Thanks but I think I just have too much spare time on my hands at the mo! The info's usually out there somewhere - it's more about having the time to trawl through it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.