Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New to Steam/PC - Any Tips/Advice? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, (yes I know late to the party) I am new to PC gaming and have recently got Steam.

Any advice/ Tips on what to and NOT to do?
    Any MUST play PC games?

Some quick questions:

1) Any specific website which have Steam game sale news/giveaways

2) On Xbox/PSN - You can get a notification on game updates - How does this work on Steam?

3) On Console, game SAVE files/progress can be easily backed up via USB/Cloud storage.

How does it work on STEAM?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    It's all self explanatory and intuitive.

Lesson number one: if you have a question, type it into Google.

ReputationRep:
    When You want skins on CSGO and good ones, buy them on OP skins then, NEVER CLICK A LINK as its malwaresoftware, Also never trust anyone but your friends as 99% of people will try and scam you! I lost over £120;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)
    Hello, (yes I know late to the party) I am new to PC gaming and have recently got Steam.

Any MUST play PC games?

Some quick questions:

2) On Xbox/PSN - You can get a notification on game updates - How does this work on Steam?

3) On Console, game SAVE files/progress can be easily backed up via USB/Cloud storage.

Thank You
    1/ cdkeys.com I saved about £10 on X-com 2 on Friday

2/you can set up alert an alert and news will come up on the game page patches are also installed automatically

3/ it's saved on the cloud

oh and get X-com X-com 2 (the new ones not the old ones) it's great.also get a call of duty or bioshjock or any fps really you'll see why the mouse and keyboard are so much better than a game pad.

ReputationRep:
    You're a few years too late, Steam has changed now. Steam is just another store, there are many others like GOG, Humble Bundle, and CD key sites like Kinguin, G2A, G2Play.

Steam is a thing because they used to have crazy (actually, damaging) prices on games, that's pretty much how it got so big, but they've reigned it in now and prices don't drop so much.

The general rule with buying PC games, not just Steam but on other stores, is to never buy full price. They'll always go on sale eventually. It used to be, on Steam, that you'd never buy a game unless it was at least 75% off, but like I said they've reigned it in. Best to look at Steam sale history for a game you want to see its lowest and thus 'real' value, then buy it when it's that price in a sale.

ReputationRep:
    Not all game saves are stored in the cloud, games will let you know if they have the capability of saving to steam cloud. Where the saves are stored differs between games but are often found either in the Steam folder or your Documents

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy games at normal prices (unless you're really hyped for it), always wait for a steam sale, otherwise get games from G2A or Humblebundles/ Humble Store. secondly watch out for scammers, my friend had a $150 knife stolen (steam support eventually returned it but 3 months later).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)

Any MUST play PC games?

Some quick questions:

Thank You
    1. never buy anything at full price
    2. always back up games BEFORE you mod
    3. always mod
    4. Don't trust other people online, they aren't your friends.
    5. Don't feel like you have to play CS:GO just because everyone else is doing it, like most FPS game's. It will just form a black hole in your bank account.

Also, check out Project Zomboid and Don't starve if you like sandbox games.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.